Vannin' Home
Posted By: maples01 New spray foam - June 19th 2012 1:38 am
I know nothing of this stuff, but I did have it in my 89 G-20 conversion, the company did it, made removal of the taillight fun when a bulb went out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrHSAMzi3a4&feature=related
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 4:33 am
I think Ken, SUPERBEAST, has a history with this stuff. . . . .

Posted By: draggnastro Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 5:31 am
God that looks like a miserable mess to clean up....
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 10:20 am
Think I'll pass
Posted By: Awbartley Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 12:32 pm
No...Can you imagine trying to remove that stuff.
Posted By: wookee Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 2:06 pm
That is the worst crap you can put inside of a van.
i have seen it actually bulge panels out that it get between.
It was applied to a sprinter van so no real lose there.
It can and will hold moister next to the metal.
Removing it to do repair work is a giant PITA.
Yes some body will chime in. "I have it in my van with no problems".....
Sorry, I have first hand seen more problems it has caused than what it is worth......

......Wookee
Posted By: Lil_Ed Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 3:22 pm
The moisture is the problem, the van will rust from the inside out.
Posted By: Bandvan Re: New spray foam - June 19th 2012 8:29 pm
The chemical that most spray foams use to make it expand and harden will actually eat through the paint and rust the metal out from the inside. I use the stuff at work a ton and its a PITA to work with in a house if you have to cut into it to find and fix something, I would hate to subject my van to that abuse.

My boss did it to his Sprinter and he LOVES the thermal qualities to it but I think the damage it will eventually cause would out weigh the benefits. If you plan to keep your van around for many years to come Id avoid it. If you're gonna trade it in before it becomes an issue then I guess it some other guys horror to find.

Ill stay with my Johns/Manville and Owens-Corning fiberglass rolls. Way easier to clean up and way easier to remove and replace. Some products cross over really well from the building industry to the van customizing realm.....spray foam is not one of them.
Posted By: pockets Re: New spray foam - June 21st 2012 11:31 am
thats intense. i'll stick with removable stuff. i'm sure it has a purpose in somethings but not my van.
Posted By: CatFish Re: New spray foam - June 21st 2012 12:07 pm
Originally Posted by Lil_Ed
The moisture is the problem, the van will rust from the inside out.

Bandvan is right too! The Paint or coating is compromised by the chemicals and then moisture (condensation) is trapped against the metal. Bad News!!
I have seen equipment (refrigerated boxes, etc.) that were wrapped and then coated. The wrap acted as a moisture/chemical barrier.
Posted By: wookee Re: New spray foam - June 21st 2012 1:19 pm
They used this stuff to insulate reefer trailers.
IF you get a leak this stuff acts like a GIANT sponge.
When I worked at Warner freuhauf a trailer dealer in Baltimore.
We had to remove a bunch of floors because the aluminum floors cracked from the flexing from the weight of the tow motors unloading the product(frozen chickens)
The smell of the foam saturated with nasty water was terrible.

I also have a part here that was treated with this JUNK and it came from a van that was bought and junked because of rust issues.Even the part I have here has rust in places I have NEVER seen a Chevy rust......

....wookee
Posted By: aftoyboy Re: New spray foam - June 21st 2012 3:03 pm
I like the concept of the foam as insulation probably best used in dry climates. But if you're going to do something like this to your rig why not use "great stuff"? Its practically the same thing. Personally ill stick with the sound barrier stuff for insulation and proper exterior rv paint. What's the weight of the foam stuff vs the insulation they make for cars? After spraying this crap, you'd waste a good portion of it cutting it out after it expands and dries. Just to get a flat and flush area to work with to put up paneling and carpeting what have you. Good concept/idea but too many issues can arise.
Posted By: maples01 Re: New spray foam - June 25th 2012 7:11 am
Just curious for areas I can't reach, the phone company has used expanding foam for years in their cabinets, never heard anything negative there.
Posted By: markdh Re: New spray foam - July 28th 2012 12:44 am
catfish is right ,seen it two lets weld in a patch pannel i smell smoke.
© Vannin' Community and Forums