Vannin' Home
Posted By: draggnastro Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:34 am
Im getting ready to refinish some of the wood panels inside the Ford. Never done it before, any tips/advice?
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:57 am
What kind of wood are you working with?
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 5:34 am
Hell if i know, whatever they use to make van interior trim panels. Im not much of a wood worker....
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 5:48 am
Pics?

Most Paneling does not really take well to refinishing.

Solid wood trim pieces can be sanded down/ restained, and finished with polyurethane or varnish. But obtaining a mirror smooth finish is a challenge, especially without a sprayer and a dust free room.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 6:04 am
[Linked Image]

That crap. Not paneling, they are solid wood but they have a few screw holes that need filled in, not sure how to do that and make it not noticeable, or what materials to use to make it look good. Cant the polyurethane be cut and buffed like a clear coat to make it look nice and glossy?
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 10:11 am
Looks good like that
Posted By: tide Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 10:31 am
Use a 600 wet sandpaper go to lowe,s or homepot buy super glaze pour on finish it,s like pouring on 60 varnish for that mirror smooth finish $24.00
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 2:46 pm
Originally Posted by Wizard78
Looks good like that

If ya look close at it its all nasty and gummy. It needs re-done
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:02 pm
Sand it down and apply some polyurethane and sand between coats. Then wet sand and buff to get a ultra smooth finish.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:08 pm
Originally Posted by draggnastro
Originally Posted by Wizard78
Looks good like that

If ya look close at it its all nasty and gummy. It needs re-done

Ok it looked good in the pic
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:22 pm
That's Oak, most likely Red oak as it is more widely available.

How easy is it to remove to work on?

Posted By: SaabGuy Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:21 pm
Start with a good wood stripper. Go to lowes, menards, home depot(whatever you have). Get something designed for furniture.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 4:34 pm
As you are sanding save the saw dust to make wood filler..a 220 finish sanding should take the crap off & down to a clean wood...use the dust & clear wood glue to make the puddy fill holes ...sand with 400 paper then finish to what ever color you like....then pour the super glaze...its like cold plastic...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 5:20 pm
awesome! pics are very helpful. Ill post pics as i go
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 5:51 pm
Do note that the Pour epoxies must have a lip to keep it from running off the sides, and the piece must be perfectly level.

Tape can be used, but if the tape bond fails, then you just made a big mess and have wasted product, and have to re do it. I have had little luck with the bartop pour epoxies and always wound up having to sand them flat and then polish them and have refused all future jobs in this realm.

Bartop epoxy also does not like UV light and will turn chalky if exposed to a lot of sunlight.

The darker spots on oak are very porous and sucks up a lot of stain deep into the wood. Even if you sand it, they will remain dark, so restaining and blending becomes necessary.

In your case I might just soak a Scotch brite pad with acetone or laquer thinner to remove the gummy exterior then use a polyurethane to refinish it with either a gloss/ semigloss or satin finish, whatever floats your boat.

It is really all up to how much effort you wish to expend on it.

Posted By: maples01 Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 5:53 pm
Cover the screws and you can never remove them, I always use decorative screws, so they add to the look.
Posted By: maples01 Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 5:55 pm
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Do note that the Pour epoxies must have a lip to keep it from running off the sides, and the piece must be perfectly level.

Tape can be used, but if the tape bond fails, then you just made a big mess and have wasted product, and have to re do it. I have had little luck with the bartop pour epoxies and always wound up having to sand them flat and then polish them and have refused all future jobs in this realm.

Bartop epoxy also does not like UV light and will turn chalky if exposed to a lot of sunlight.

The darker spots on oak are very porous and sucks up a lot of stain deep into the wood. Even if you sand it, they will remain dark, so restaining and blending becomes necessary.

In your case I might just soak a Scotch brite pad with acetone or laquer thinner to remove the gummy exterior then use a polyurethane to refinish it with either a gloss/ semigloss or satin finish, whatever floats your boat.

It is really all up to how much effort you wish to expend on it.

The stuff used on boat wood is best, stands up to the UV rays, looks great too.
Posted By: wrcsixeight Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 6:01 pm
Note that Big box stores carry spar varnishes that are only slightly more uv resistant then regular polyurethane.

Among the best products for wood on boats is Epifanes varnishes.

$$$ though.

http://www.epifanes.com/products.html
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 8:13 pm
How concerned with UV protection should i be using it on the dash and interior panels of a van with tinted windows that sits in the shade 80% of the day? Will it fade real bad?
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 9:13 pm
I wouldn't think that would hurt it,Might make it darker with age
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 24th 2012 9:44 pm
I thought it would lighten it, but then again i dont know crap about woodworking, i do steel.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Needing advice on wood interior parts. - May 29th 2012 5:16 am
got the new dash piece in and radio attached properly now. Hopefully finish the wood trim tomorrow.
© Vannin' Community and Forums