Vannin' Home
Posted By: HomeBrew holding head liner panels in place... - May 17th 2012 8:50 pm
What do you guys use to hold head liner panels in place.

In the early it looks like it originally came with multiple panels and some kind of bent plastic material to hold two mating ends of each panels to each rib.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 17th 2012 9:02 pm
What kind of headliner? Paneling?
Posted By: DrBob Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 17th 2012 9:27 pm
I used Velcro one time.
Posted By: Reed Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 18th 2012 12:54 am
Originally Posted by Wizard78
What kind of headliner? Paneling?

+1. Factory headliner? Custom? Made of what? How are you handling the transition between the walls and ceiling?
Posted By: NateB Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 18th 2012 10:50 am
Self-tapping screws.
Velcro works great as Dr Bob mentioned...cheap and no screw heads messing up the look...also makes it easy to get at wires and stuff running through the area...

You can but velcro at and Walmart in the sewing section.....

Red Green would use Duct Tape !
Posted By: HomeBrew Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 18th 2012 4:34 pm
Nothing fancy, I'm going to take whats left of the factory ceiling panels and use them as templates to create new ones out of either very thin wood paneling or super dense card board material. Then cover those with some kind of material and stick them back up there. All the factory panels fell down because the plastic gizmo(s) that holds them up against the ribs are all gone or smashed up.

From the back to the front there is (was) a panel then a rib, then a panel, then a rib, etc...

([Panel]|[panel]|[panel]|[panel])

<-{back of van}~~~~~{front of van }->

Never thought to use velcro.... lol.
Posted By: Dodgy Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 19th 2012 5:11 am
I am about to launch into the same project. I have some "hardboard" which is basically pegboard without the holes, some fabric and some fireproof batting to give it a soft feel. I plan to cut to size, glue it all together and screw it into the janky old vista cruiser roof that someone welded onto the van. But I'm on a really tight budget to get this thing camping-ready. Here's where the roof is at:
[Linked Image]

Gotta find a cheap fan to fit in that vent, too.
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 22nd 2012 2:14 am
My Crestliner conversion actually has some nicely finished wood strips between the panels and some small screws holding the strips. Looks pretty legit and still holds up after 22 years.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: holding head liner panels in place... - May 22nd 2012 5:57 pm
Self tapping screws work Great
Posted By: HomeBrew Re: holding head liner panels in place... - June 04th 2012 9:50 pm
I like vista cruiser roof, always thought it was cool.
© Vannin' Community and Forums