Vannin' Home
Posted By: XQJ_37 Hitch Question - July 22nd 2012 4:35 pm
I pulled a hitch off a 93 Vandura G20 and was going to have it welded to my 77 G20. Is this a bad idea? I want to purchase one of those cargo carriers to the back and need a hitch to do it. Any one know if this would or would not work for any reason?
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: Hitch Question - July 22nd 2012 4:49 pm
If it will fit I would try to bolt it on first. Might make it hard to drop the fuel tank if it is welded. Got to keep it so you can fix it when it breaks.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Hitch Question - July 22nd 2012 5:53 pm
theres no need to weld it on, the bolts and hardware that come with it are more than capable of holding that hitch inplace for anything you want to do with it
Posted By: Lordmodelbuilder Re: Hitch Question - July 22nd 2012 6:16 pm
A hitch from a 93 G-van will not work on a 77 G-van without some modification. Bolted on will work, just have to make sure it's done correctly. Brad
Posted By: XQJ_37 Re: Hitch Question - July 22nd 2012 7:33 pm
Yeah, the 93 had the holes in the frame with threads, so the bolts that mounted easily. The 77 has holes w/o threading and it would mean that I would need to cut a hole/ square out of the side of the frame itself to be able to get a nut on the bolt. That wouldnt compromise the intergety of the frame right?
Posted By: Bullet Re: Hitch Question - July 23rd 2012 12:27 pm
They make nuts with a long flat piece of metal that is easily bendable to slip inside the frame and place at the holes in the frame. Weldingis a bad idea unless you are an accomplished welder, overheating of the weld can lead to cracks in the frame plus you are welding around a gas tank. Find the right hardware, bolt it on. Just my 2
Posted By: XQJ_37 Re: Hitch Question - July 23rd 2012 1:12 pm
I know...welding around the gas tank sounds like a bad idea.
I have it at a mechanic, so I am hoping he will be able to attach this thing correctly.
Posted By: Munz Re: Hitch Question - July 23rd 2012 7:49 pm
Do what Bullet said and use this kit, I did this with my 77 and it worked great. I had to make a custom hitch but this is how I mounted it to the frame. Your 93 hitch will hang a little lower than the 77 hitch would but you will have a tough time finding a hitch for our 77's. The real issue will be if its a class 3 the mounts that go to the bumper won't line up correctly because of the bumper difference from 77 to 78 (your 93) Trailer hitch mounting hardware.
Posted By: XQJ_37 Re: Hitch Question - July 24th 2012 2:38 pm
Originally Posted by Munz
Do what Bullet said and use this kit, I did this with my 77 and it worked great. I had to make a custom hitch but this is how I mounted it to the frame. Your 93 hitch will hang a little lower than the 77 hitch would but you will have a tough time finding a hitch for our 77's. The real issue will be if its a class 3 the mounts that go to the bumper won't line up correctly because of the bumper difference from 77 to 78 (your 93) Trailer hitch mounting hardware.

Thanks for the link. My thought behind all this was to pull a hitch at the junkyard (the 93) and slap it on the 77. I am under time constrants and have to take it to a body shop. I dont know what class the hitch is, unfortunately, but the mechanic should and then I am assuming that he would attach it properly.
Posted By: XQJ_37 Re: Hitch Question - July 24th 2012 2:44 pm
I am going to get a Draw Tite cargo carrier. Found a good deal on a used one that is rated to 500lbs. Again, nnot sure on hitch class, but I assume that the hitch will be put on and that it can handle a loaded carrier. On the other hand though, I also cant help be see it dropping on the highway when I doing 80 and causing a horrble accident.
Posted By: Bullet Re: Hitch Question - July 25th 2012 12:26 pm
If it takes a 2" receiver, it's most likely a class III which is more than sufficient for a cargo carrier. I am not 100% on this but I think they can't make a hitch legally that is smaller than a class III that takes the 2" receiver, I may be wrong but I think that is correct.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Hitch Question - July 25th 2012 3:23 pm
Class I Trailer Hitch Receivers:

Towing capacities up to 2,000 lbs GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) and 200 lbs TW (Tongue Weight)
1-1/4" x 1-1/4" receiver hitch opening.
Works with only class I accessories, such as bike racks, cargo carriers, ball mounts and tube covers
1-1/4" x 1-1/4" class II accessories will not work with class I hitches
Requires a drawbar or ball mount to tow a trailer, may be included or sold seperately
Uses a 1/2" pin to secure ball mount into place
Manufacturer-recommended drawbar or ball mount should be used for each specific hitch
Will work with hitch balls with 3/4" diameter shank
Available in square and round tube designs

Class II Trailer Hitch Receivers:

Designed for light-duty towing
Are rated up to 3,500 lbs GTW and 350 lbs TW
1-1/4" x 1-1/4" receiver hitch opening
Will work with Class I and Class II accessories, such as bike racks, cargo carriers, and tube covers
Requires a Manufacturer-recommended, hitch specific drawbar or ball mount to tow a trailer
A 1/2" pin must be used to secure the ball mount in place.
Drawbars may be included with hitch or sold separately
Available in square and round tube designs.
Will work with hitch balls with 3/4" diameter shank

Class III Trailer Hitch Receivers:

Designed for trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles
2" x 2" receiver hitch opening
Rated up to 6,000 lbs GTW with 600 lbs TW
Allows for more gear to be carried or towed
Works with all Class III accessories, such as bike racks, cargo carriers, and tube covers
Class I and Class II (1-1/4") hitch accessories can also be used with an adapter
Ball mounts are sold separately.
Will work with hitch balls with 1" diameter shank
NOTE: Most manufacturers call any hitch with a 2" x 2" opening a Class III hitch
It is not uncommon to see a 2" hitch rated at 3,500 lbs GTW called a Class III hitch
Available in square and round tube designs.

Class IV Trailer Hitch Receivers:

Designed for trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles
Rated up to 12,000 lbs GTW and 1,000 TW
Allows for even more gear to be carried or towed
Works with all Class III and IV accessories
Class I and Class II (1-1/4") hitch accessories can also be used with an adapter
Ball mounts are sold separately.
Will work with hitch balls with 1" diameter shank
Class IV hitch balls require a 1-1/4" diameter shank

Class V Trailer Hitch Receivers:

Designed for heavy-duty trucks or vans to tow larger trailers
2-1/2" x 2-1/2" reveiver hitch opening
Specially designed to handle heavy duty towing
With a weight distribution system you can handle up to 18,000 lbs with 1,800 lbs of tongue weight
Can use any class III or IV accessory with use of a reducer sleeve
Class V Ball mounts are sold separately.
Will work with hitch balls with 1-1/4" shank

© Vannin' Community and Forums