Vannin' Home
Posted By: Westvan71 Manual shift in '70s Chevy/GMC vans - not many built... - October 16th 2009 12:46 pm
Asking you here - wondering if having manual shift on colunm in a '70s Chevy/GMC van worth to keep? I haven't seen one for a long time.
Badboy Jerry has 3 on the tree in the 72 he just purchased..
They still built quite a few over the years.
the TH350 was just a really nice reliable trans.
So nice that allot of people stopped ordering as many vans with the 3 on the tree.......

........Wookee
It really comes down to what you like in my opinion, if you like the 3 on the tree and like the originality of it then keep it. The only real value to your ride is if it makes you happy.
Yeah, It's been a long time since I last drove a manual in a van (last time I think was in late '80s!). My new "winter beater" van have the manual shift pedal still there under dashboard - it's non-opreated due to the former owner's change to auto shift.

I may remove that pedal to keep just in case...
I saw quite a few in Chevies I was looking at recently, maybe approaching 10%---seems like most were mated to a six banger.

BradLaGrange
I remember seeing a 4 speed on the column in an Econoline p/u once, that must've been pretty Rare.
Originally Posted by Brad_LaGrange
I saw quite a few in Chevies I was looking at recently, maybe approaching 10%---seems like most were mated to a six banger.

BradLaGrange

About 10% of production? Yes, I believe the higher portion would be with six bangers, then what's left of percent would be with a V8. Have I got that right?
West---Naw, just 10% of the vans I looked at recently, I would guess that a SLIGHTLY higher portion than that came with them just because you hear about/see a few that were converted to A/T by later owners. But yeah, most were six bangers that I saw. Also, I THINK I posted a mid Chev in the Craigslist findings yesterday or today that was manual and V8.

BradLaGrange
The 2nd gen Chevys had a 4 speed on the column option, like hens teeth, I sold a NOS 4spd column shifter a few months ago. I would love to have a changeover for my '85. I've got one of the New Process 4 speed overdrives, it has the same gear splits as a 700r4 with 4th gear being OD. I have a 700r4 now, but just like to bang the gears. Give me all throttle, no bottle, and three pedals in the floor!
© Vannin' Community and Forums