Vannin' Home
Posted By: tide High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 06th 2011 11:41 pm
I been out of vanning since the late 70's and I am getting back into it. I got a 1992 Chevy G20 Van. Chopped 8" and shortened 4'

Here are some pictures of a work in progress:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Junkyards are plentiful down here in Charlotte, NC with vans from the early 70's. Parts are easy to come by and are cheap.
Posted By: c1run1 Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 12:00 am
awesome , yet another mad man on board .
Welcome to the forum I think you will have a lot of fun here .
The G20 looks killer Ron good luck with it . can't wait to see more of it .
Thanks Joe
Awesome and welcome back!
Posted By: I_am_new Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 12:29 am
drool LOVE IT!!!! post more pics plz, van keep up the good work
Posted By: frscke1 Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 12:59 am
Welcome welcome
sweet , someone yesterday was just asking about chopped chevys.
Posted By: nautic1 Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 1:12 am
welcome aboard.
Welcome & the Chevy is off to a good start.
Gotta love a chop... welcome to vanning.com
yay
Posted By: VanPLan Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 2:24 am
welcomeWelcome.

Stiff competition and lots of experience in this crowd but the only thing I know how to chop is lettuce. haha
Get some pic up I'd love to watch your build.

cheers
coffee
Posted By: lukester Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 2:32 am
Sweet looking Chevy....
welcometo the Flock!.....Enjoy!.....[Linked Image]
Posted By: Starlord Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 4:03 am
Looks great! Welcome to the site.
Welcome! I look forward to following the progress.

Randy
Welcome. Lookin cool. You only shortened it 4inches? You took out a whole door.
Posted By: I_am_new Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 12:10 pm
Originally Posted by riverratcustomz
Welcome. Lookin cool. You only shortened it 4inches? You took out a whole door.

yeah
Posted By: CatFish Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 12:36 pm
Hey Ron! Nice Chevy project.
Why not come down to Cherokee the first of October to GSVR? It's a laid back vannin, great for visiting, and we have a good time.
Flyer link:
http://burntwool.com/gsvr7.pdf
Posted By: Galaxy Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 12:51 pm
welcome To the vanning.com forums!
That is a very unique project you got going there. I don't think that I have ever seen a chopped conversion van before. Please keep us posted on the progress. chevy
welcome back to vanning and welcome aboard. I believe he typed 4 FEET. Madman? Is that what we are Joe? lol OK, I guess we are!

I normally don't care much for shortened vans, but yours was done nicely. Not too short, and with the chopped top, it's still proportioned. What are your other plans for it? Look forward to more pictures.
Yep your rite. Sorry bout that. Still looks cool either way.
yeah
Posted By: I_am_new Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - September 07th 2011 4:01 pm
oh. my bad guess I should learn to read beer
Posted By: tide Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - January 09th 2012 4:29 am
Update: Van still in the damn body shop and the guy told me it would take a month to chop the van. Its been seven months and I'm still waiting. At the rate he is going. it will take a year.
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard the same story I'd have at least enough to buy a few cases of beer...

Chops are a ton of work, especially when done right. Have patience!
lol Ran! Chops are a lot of work. I agree, be patient. Quality is way better than speed when it comes to this kind of work.

Have you visited to see his work? Post some pictures please if you have.
Posted By: tide Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - January 25th 2012 3:16 am
Some new pictures of my van here. Fabrication is finally finished and the van is on its way to the body shop.

Chopped Van Pictures
welcome Chopped & Chevy cheers
Tide welcome back to vannin!! I may have trucked with you back in the 70's, we were out of Pinehurst. "Tarheel Truckers"
Looks great! I'm not a big fan of shortened vans, but I like this one. I think it's because you didn't make it too short. It looks great with the chopped top also.
Originally Posted by Superbeast
Looks great! I'm not a big fan of shortened vans, but I like this one. I think it's because you didn't make it too short. It looks great with the chopped top also.

yeah cheers
Love the single side door... cheers and did you fab that back door ? Never seen one b4 but then again I'm new to this.

cheers again.

coffee
Nice and I think "Low Tide" would fit better now that the roof has been chopped!
yeah Low Tide would be a great name for a van!
I see you are going to paint soon, Have you decided on the colors(s)?

[Linked Image]

vans gonna look cool for a chopped and shortened shorty smile
Very cool
definately want to see it finished
Now it needs to be in the Weeds.Beware Low Tide Common In.
Nice Vision, thanks for the updates.
if it gets lowered..I think Low Tide would be a good name...my prior yellow & lowered 70 dodge Van was named Lo-Yelr.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fabrication complete and now it is in the paint shop.
Looks very nice. Paint is not far away now. Good luck with that and the completion of the project. Thanks for the update!
looks awesome!
thank you
cant wait to see it finished
got a name will post when finished
Great to see some more progress with this van. Looking forward to the next update to see in with some color!
Lookin good... Cant wait to see it in its new paint smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The mud flares are fitting perfect. I guess you notice shes going to be blue. (more pic coming)
got new door glass one piece no vent
looking good.

I just got a 7" Car DVD Player Double Din GPS tv Navigation+MAP&CAMERA and 2 7" Wide Screen Video Monitor for the van
Are you going to mold the flares? I'm interested to know about the door glass. Is it real glass? If so, is it curved or cut from flat glass?

The vans looking very nice and it's easy to tell that you are excited. Rock and roll!

cut from flat glass?
Door windows are tempered glass and the ones in this year van are curved.
This class can not be cut.
Safety glass with the plastic in the middle they make windshields out of can be cut and it comes in flat sheets.AKA flat glass.

........Wookee
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We did a mark up of the side pipes and they lined up perfectly and the length is perfect.
Originally Posted by wookee
Door windows are tempered glass and the ones in this year van are curved.
This class can not be cut.
Safety glass with the plastic in the middle they make windshields out of can be cut and it comes in flat sheets.AKA flat glass.

........Wookee

That is why I ask. Years ago I was bored so I took my cutoff wheel I use to cut windshields and decided to see what happened if I cut a vent glass in half. To my surprise, I was able to make the cut and ended up with 2 pieces. As I sat there in amazement both pieces shattered. Back to lexan...
Originally Posted by tide
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We did a mark up of the side pipes and they lined up perfectly and the length is perfect.

They Patriot side pipes? what length R they?
Length 63"
Inlet diameter 2"
Outlet diameter 3-1/2 ........
'
Length 63"
Inlet diameter 2"
Outlet diameter 3-1/2 ........

what do they measure to get length? U say they 63"...now is that 'over all" or just straight tube or what?? lookin to get a set but want them to fit rite 1st time!lol
over all length
Doing some "catching up" on the threds. Looks great tide. Hope to see it up north some day.
coffee
Looking Good
[Linked Image]

11 months 29 days 18 hours 26 minutes. Lol. It's finally ready to go into the paint booth. Unfortunately I have to go out of town so I probably won't see the paint job for another week.I have to go to New York
Thats cool, bet ya can't wait to get back!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
nice , looks like newkirks van
Coming along nicely !!! cheers
nICE! Looks like HIGH TIDE's van I sea the deep blue...
the painter email me the pic's
lots of work gone on there, cant wait to see it together and in the daylight.
Just found this thread and all I can say is this is going to be a killer van. Nice job!!!!!!!!!!

Richard
It won't be long now. Great job!
thank you
I know you where probably quoted a shorter time.
Close to a year on a chop is not really bad time at all.
Unless you actually have done this type of work it is really hard to understand how much time it takes to do a job like this correctly.
Very labor intensive.No flat rate guides to go by
IF it was done right it will last for years......
Every thing is looking good so far.

......Wookee
Awsome! I love the color!!
It does look like mine,very nice!!
wow looking real good it will be on the road in no time .
very nice work tide..but ya gotta work on the shine. there is a fly in the corner of the booth that I can't quite tell if it's dead or alive. haha

Seriously it's beautiful.
coffee
Looking good.
VERY Nice!!!
Awesome color you picked for the van! Can't wait to see it out in the sun.
Having hard time getting windshield cut
pretty cool.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

This van is dedicated to all the men and women of the armed forces. Past and present. When it is completed this van will be used for fundraisers for the disabled vets and used in parades. I thank all of you for your service.
Getting close now very nice! Where did you get your pipes??
Cool van
Having hard time getting windshield cut

Did you find a glass guy yet?
I got the side pipes from JC Whitney's.

Also I supposed to meet with a glass guy on Monday about cutting the windshield. I got the door glasses done already. Just have to install them.
welcome back your van is looking great , sweet color thanks for sharing cheers
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Windshield has been cut and installed. Drive shaft has been cut and balanced. Ready to be installed. It has been one year since we started this project. Next step is exterior lighting. Then interior.
Thats great and in a short time.I like the look of it.
thank you
What a cool van. Veterans will be proud i'm sure.
yay She's finally home! Jumped right into it and installed LEDs around the headlights and parking lights.Painted the dashboard. Started the interior. All in three days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
yay She's finally home! Jumped right into it and installed LEDs around the headlights and parking lights.Painted the dashboard. Started the interior. All in three days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Awesome Tide....hey if you want some POW-MIA decals I make and sell them on ebay ,I would gladly make and ship you some N/C just let me know color and size.........
dope! I love the way a van looks chopped.
Thanks for the offer, but I already got all the decals and airbrushing done. If I need anything you'll be first in line.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Radio installation is completed along with the back up camera, GPS, DVD player, CD player, and TV. Two rear seven inch monitors. Bass speakers and amp. Weather stripping installed and hardwood floor. Carpet was also installed. I did all the interior work myself
Looks very nice!
thank you
Sweet
looks great!
Looks great
man, your van is SWEET drool
All that metal work yet they missed those big holes in the sides of the rear. LMAO
Looks great, would love to see it in person one day.
The van came out great. Nice work. And don't worry about the holes in the sides, they don't make the van run any different.
Few things are impossible in themselves; and it is often for want of will, rather than of means, that man fails to succeed.

-----------------------------
WOW Gold|Buy WOW Gold|Cheap RS Gold

[Linked Image]

Airbrushed tire cover and the rear of the van. ^.^
Posted By: tide Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - January 31st 2013 10:42 pm
Van back in the body shop, repainting and adding murals, gas door wiper arms and cowl being chrome. Will post pictures when completed.
Can't wait to see it!
Just read the whole thread, Awesome!
Van came out really nice Ron. Looks GREAT!
Posted By: tide Re: High Tide (Ron) Chopped and Shortened 92 Chevy G20 Van - February 01st 2013 7:49 pm
thank you
Just got the van back. murals and repainted and cowl and wiper arms and gas door chromed.

http://s1185.beta.photobucket.com/user/rmorgan1111/library/Murals%20and%20Van
That's some awesome work!
Looks GREAT!!!
Awesome looking Van
Very nice. That paint is super shiny!
Thank you on to the next step the guy that did the chop is going to make me a billet Grille going to meet with him today
© Vannin' Community and Forums