Vannin' Home
Posted By: HighwayStar Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:05 am
Got some time to install my new flares smile ,here are a couple pics ..will work on rears tomorrow ..using "flat white" paint for now ..doesn't look too bad,and definitely is changing the vans attitude .... lol

[Linked Image]
Me on the left, and Mike on the right, thrashing on the van

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Flares back on the van, after the 3rd try, lots of trimming and sizing..

[Linked Image]
Didn't realize that the only way to do this was to bolt the flares to the chin spoiler and then mount them to the van. But hey, I don't do this everyday!
Posted By: vanfun Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:14 am
Looking good! Are the the fiberglass ones or the yellow ones??
Not to highjack your thread but where you at Randolf swap meet a few weaks ago I thought I reconized the van but you where busy talkin to someone. R you gonna be there the fourth??
Posted By: piscespokerbrat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:29 am
Lookin good!
Posted By: Keep_On_Truckin_WNY Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:32 am
where did you end up getting those from...? who's 'glass are they...? easy to work with...?
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:03 am
Originally Posted by vanfun
Looking good! Are the the fiberglass ones or the yellow ones??
Not to highjack your thread but where you at Randolf swap meet a few weaks ago I thought I reconized the van but you where busy talkin to someone. R you gonna be there the fourth??

Fiberglass.....Yes..My son and I had a spot and were there selling some stuff....wish we could have met ! will probably go back for the next event.. smile
Posted By: vanfun Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:06 am
Cool I am planning to be there Maybe we can finally meet! How early you have to be there to sell?
Posted By: GhostRyder Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:18 am
eek quit teasing us , put some wheels on it and set it on the ground lol
Posted By: XTReME_LiMiTzZ Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:35 am
lookin good!
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:58 am
Seriously? a lift in your garage? jeez my workspace somehow feels even more inadequate now lol!
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 12:33 pm
Originally Posted by GhostRyder

yeah I agree.

If you are not saving the old chrome trim, contact Carson, he was looking for them.
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by Keep_On_Truckin_WNY
where did you end up getting those from...? who's 'glass are they...? easy to work with...?

Got them from Truck N Vans ..I like the quality ..and yes easy to work with !
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:06 pm

.......... rofl
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:28 pm
Originally Posted by draggnastro
Seriously? a lift in your garage? jeez my workspace somehow feels even more inadequate now lol!

Yeah..I bought a lift , tire machine and balancer with the funds from selling my Streetvan to Doni "Evilhippie" this summer.
I have a landscape maintenance business, we deliver topsoil, mulch, gravel,compost etc.and lots of mowing,Mike in the pic is my only employee and my son and I do the mowing while my wife answers the phone, but the economy has slowed that down some and I decided to make some money out of the garage..so I'd like to say it was for "toys" but actually it is to help support my family .. smile
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:45 pm
Lookin good. I want the same flares.
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 1:56 pm
Originally Posted by riverratcustomz
Lookin good. I want the same flares.

I'm very pleased so far...trucknvans.com smile
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:03 pm
Originally Posted by Superbeast
[quote=GhostRyder]

If you are not saving the old chrome trim, contact Carson, he was looking for them.

Will do Ken !
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:15 pm
Already looks like a diff van
Posted By: wookee Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:24 pm
I would keep them for "winter wheels".......

........Wookee
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:36 pm
Originally Posted by wookee
I would keep them for "winter wheels".......

........Wookee

This girl is in retirement of BS winter weather Wookee and will be parked each year from now on..I found some "salt" damage under the left rear wheel well trim when I removed it ,,,don't have the money to fix it now but will address it "down the road"... smile
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 2:56 pm
Be nice if you could pressure wash the under side and do a good undercoat.
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 3:03 pm
Did you get new wheels to?
Posted By: Mutt Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 3:06 pm
looks good!
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 3:14 pm
I bought the 2 15x10 Cragar SS black79gmc had listed on here for the rear "not perfect but well worth the price" and I'm putting on the front a pair of 15x8's I bought for another car.
The 10's have the right off-set "reverse" but the 8's are "standard" off-set..will do for the rest of this season.... smile
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 3:26 pm
Aww man. I cant wait to see that.
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 3:32 pm
Aww man. I cant wait to see that.

Thanks ! will post pics when I get them on smile
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 4:10 pm
Cool!
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 4:36 pm
Looking Good
Posted By: Reed Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 5:39 pm
It could be looking good, but it is hard to tell from the pictures posted. Need more pics!
Posted By: Galaxy Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 6:02 pm
Nice upgrade there Pete. Looking forward to the next update. chevy
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 8:29 pm
More pics to follow..thanks for the complement Charley... smile
Posted By: FinallyaVanner Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 8:47 pm
Looking coooool man !!!!! A good set of flares and and a nice set of rims & tires really make the van.

Now where are the pics with that nice set of rims & tires.

All I see is a nice flare job.

Richard
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 8:51 pm
Originally Posted by FinallyaVanner
Looking coooool man !!!!! A good set of flares and and a nice set of rims & tires really make the van.

Now where are the pics with that nice set of rims & tires.

All I see is a nice flare job.

Richard

Hey give me a break..some people have to work you know.. rofl...pics to follow soon.. smile
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 30th 2011 11:55 pm
Any new progress yet?
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 31st 2011 11:33 pm
HEY Riverat and Finally ....tires and rear flares are on ...just came in to clean-up will post pics in a couple hours..."looks like a different van" ...... cheers
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - August 31st 2011 11:39 pm
You tease! LoL
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 12:46 am
I use to like my van.. now I love it.Hard to believe it use to be an East Ohio Gas service van..next is interior between now and this winter. Then she will get a new V-8 to replace the 4.3 sometime next year or as bucks allow rolleyes ... chevy Made the pics bigger for ya Reed .. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 12:54 am
Aww man! ! ! She is sharp!
Posted By: VanPLan Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 12:54 am
Nice changes...it looks like a pissed off bulldog. GRrrrrr.
cheers
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 12:58 am
Thanks... I'm really happy with the up-dates for sure ... cheers
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 12:59 am
Ive got to get those flares. How much were they?
Posted By: 86ed Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:01 am
nice progress, looks great!
Posted By: piscespokerbrat Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:01 am
It went from creepy van to this guy means business van. Now get yerself a 350, dual exhaust with 40 series flows, a mild cam and show em what yer talking about!
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:01 am
Ive got to get those flares. How much were they?

350 shipped.... eek
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:06 am
Originally Posted by piscespokerbrat
It went from creepy van to this guy means business van. Now get yerself a 350, dual exhaust with 40 series flows, a mild cam and show em what yer talking about!

That's what I'm talkin about ................. yay
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:10 am
Thats not bad at all. Looks bad ass! Deff looks like a diff van
Posted By: GhostRyder Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:51 am
sweet . they almost look like there molded on .
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 2:23 am
looks tuff man! Looks like it may need a 454 to go with that attitude?
Posted By: lukester Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 2:46 am
very , very nice
Posted By: aftoyboy Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 6:34 am
Sweetness, I am going to need a towel, cause I am drooling. drool
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 12:28 pm
Looks GREAT! You could have taken it outside for the pictures tho grin
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 1:16 pm
Originally Posted by Superbeast
Looks GREAT! You could have taken it outside for the pictures tho grin

Yeah I know...will get it out for a cruise and better pics after work today... smile

Thanks for the compliments guys... cheers
Posted By: Galaxy Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 3:15 pm
I thought I liked the look of the moons on there...
Until I saw it with the Cragars!
The flairs look great too!
Nice work Pete chevy
Posted By: chevyvan93 Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 4:06 pm
Sweet van, love it
Posted By: Mutt Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 4:20 pm
That looks great! cheers
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 4:51 pm
Originally Posted by GALAXY
Nice work Pete chevy

Yes indeed
Posted By: FinallyaVanner Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 5:56 pm
Yep completely made the van.
You have made it your own, it's not just a van off the dealers lot.
Yes it deserves better pics and a avatar face lift.
Show it off!!!!

Richard
Posted By: XTReME_LiMiTzZ Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 8:23 pm
looking really sweet nice touch to the van! cheers
Posted By: Hayduke Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 8:24 pm
That looks AWESOME! nice work!
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 11:29 pm
Originally Posted by GALAXY
Nice work Pete chevy

Thanks very much Charley...I new it needed something else and now I'm glad I made the move ! cheers
Posted By: Carlton Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 11:49 pm
Now you can double your income with your business logo on the upper side of it [magnetic of course] because everyone will notice the van and the business!

Looks AWESOME!

My opinion is the shorty pulls this look off best. Me, I like the long wheel base up in the air smile

Posted By: Mutt Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 01st 2011 11:54 pm
I'd like to see a photo of how the wheels/tires fill the flares from a back corner
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 12:26 am
Originally Posted by FinallyaVanner
Yep completely made the van.
You have made it your own, it's not just a van off the dealers lot.
Yes it deserves better pics and a avatar face lift.
Show it off!!!!

Richard

Done...but sun was going down...will take better up-close pics tomorrow.. cheers
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 12:33 am
Originally Posted by Carlton
Now you can double your income with your business logo on the upper side of it [magnetic of course] because everyone will notice the van and the business!

Looks AWESOME!

My opinion is the shorty pulls this look off best. Me, I like the long wheel base up in the air smile

Yes !......agree with all your comments ! smile
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 2:03 am
Looks sweeeeeeeet!
Posted By: vanfun Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 4:44 am
Looks awsome! Love the wheels! You r welcome for the before and after pic of the cragers on my van jk. They just change the whole van dont they! AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME! You just need and old school visor. O wait I have one! I will bring it w me Sunday you can take a lookee. I will make you a deal if you want it!
Posted By: Reed Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 5:28 am
Looking good!
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 9:19 am
Lookin gooooood bro
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 11:46 am
COOL! Now it just needs to get out of that garage to Butler and Keystone grin
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 11:55 am
I wish i could go. Maybe next year
Posted By: GEORGI Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 2:58 pm
wow looks great
Posted By: wookee Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 3:04 pm
all i see is signature pictures.......
I have a soft spot for white late models sporting Cragers......

......Wookee
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 3:23 pm

......Wookee

Project pics are at the beginning of the post Wookee...and I know why U like white from the pics of your chevy van in the eighty's... bow
Posted By: wookee Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by HighwayStar
Project pics are at the beginning of the post Wookee...and I know why U like white from the pics of your chevy van in the eighty's... bow

I went there ans all I see on my end are the flares.No wheels installed yet...

.......Wookee
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 4:41 pm

I went there ans all I see on my end are the flares.No wheels installed yet...

.......Wookee

Sorry Wokkee....It's on the second page ..It was the next day or so when I posted again... smile
Posted By: heavy389 Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 7:47 pm
looks good!! cheers
Posted By: black79gmc Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 9:36 pm
Lookin good pete, just like a van should. Cragar SS with flares!
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 9:48 pm
Originally Posted by black79gmc
Lookin good pete, just like a van should. Cragar SS with flares!

Thanks !...your 10" Cragars worked out just fine ... smile Man, Cragars and flares "just like the good old days" cheers
Posted By: GhostRyder Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 10:25 pm

......Wookee

I was gonna say , this does look like wookee's white van
Posted By: black79gmc Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 11:10 pm
gets me thinking, my 86 nomad has 7 inch american racing outlaws all around. might just have to add flares and cragars.This look reminds me of my old black 79s appearance. By the way: even the best drivers will eventually snag their flares so BE CAREFUL!my old 81 had no windows on back doors either so i called them refrigerator doors. you must get a kelvinator emblem for the back door!Also i think side pipes will really send your van home
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 11:12 pm
gets me thinking, my 86 nomad has 7 inch american racing outlaws all around. might just have to add flares and cragars.This look reminds me of my old black 79s appearance. By the way: even the best drivers will eventually snag their flares so BE CAREFUL!my old 81 had no windows on back doors either so i called them refrigerator doors. you must get a kelvinator emblem for the back door!

10-4.... cheers
Posted By: black79gmc Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 02nd 2011 11:29 pm
pete,on rear tires,did you go 295/50 or 275/60?
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 12:03 am

Funny U ask...I have brand new 295/50's but I think there just to short...I had a set of like new 255/70's from my old streetvan and I mounted them on your 10's and they look great ...there just a little taller and a little narrower than a 275/60.....
Posted By: CatFish Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 12:06 am

Funny U ask...I have brand new 295/50's but I think there just to short...I had a set of like new 255/70's from my old streetvan and I mounted them on your 10's and they look great ...there just a little taller and a little narrower than a 275/60.....

Thanks for that info. I have 295/50s and they're too short.
Your van is looking great Pete!! There's just something about a white van....
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 12:43 am
Thank You CatFish.....I'm really enjoying my van project, interior this winter is next... smile
Posted By: FinallyaVanner Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 4:09 am
I'm really enjoying my van project, interior this winter is next... smile

And that large side blank canvas is itching to go to the tattoo shop!!!! grin
Posted By: black79gmc Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 4:21 am
I always felt that 295/50s were too short and wider then i prefer. 275 60s are a little shorter than i prefer as well. 255 70 are very tall but running the 10 inch rim should shorten the hight slightly by the width stretch giving perfect look. on the fronts did you mount cragar 8s or 7s?and i guess 245/70 or 255/60 or 235/75?
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 12:51 pm
I always felt that 295/50s were too short and wider then i prefer. 275 60s are a little shorter than i prefer as well. 255 70 are very tall but running the 10 inch rim should shorten the hight slightly by the width stretch giving perfect look. on the fronts did you mount cragar 8s or 7s?and i guess 245/70 or 255/60 or 235/75?

8's on 235/70........ smile
Posted By: black79gmc Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 03rd 2011 2:55 pm
Cool, how bout some pics of this vans new look outdoors...
Posted By: lukester Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 04th 2011 2:40 am
Cool, how bout some pics of this vans new look outdoors...

yeah

She would look real sweet in the sunshine....
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 04th 2011 3:05 am
Originally Posted by vanfun
Looks awsome! Love the wheels! You r welcome for the before and after pic of the cragers on my van jk. They just change the whole van dont they! AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME! You just need and old school visor. O wait I have one! I will bring it w me Sunday you can take a lookee. I will make you a deal if you want it!

Hey...provided it doesn't turn into a monsoon......I will be there..wondering what kinda deal U have for said visor... yay
Posted By: GhostRyder Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 05th 2011 4:01 am
Ahem Ahemmm Mr. Star wheres these outside pics you promised us ?

lol
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 05th 2011 1:57 pm
Ahem Ahemmm Mr. Star wheres these outside pics you promised us ?

lol

....Your killin me GR.. rofl

...All kiddin aside, It's raining here , was going to run up to the local state park for a walk with the wife , dog and camera today and take some pics at the marina...will see smile
Posted By: GhostRyder Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 05th 2011 3:09 pm
Hope you and the wife have a great time sir .
Posted By: CPSChevyVan Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 05th 2011 3:45 pm
Late getting to this one. Looks great Star!
Posted By: wookee Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 05th 2011 4:03 pm
I guess it depends on how anal you are about the tire completely filling the rim.
I know a 275/60/15 allows the outer edge of a 10 inch rim stick out a bit.
Where a 295/50/15 completely fills the rim.

........Wookee
Posted By: monkeyman Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 06th 2011 11:29 pm
Looks Sweet!
Posted By: Moparagogo Re: Finally installing flares........ - September 26th 2011 2:37 am
I is amazing what some flares and a set of wheels will do. Looking good!
© Vannin' Community and Forums