Vannin' Home
Posted By: 00jsaunders Please need Paint help!!! - January 28th 2011 8:06 pm
I need help getting a color. The color is called Cozy Copper Brown and was used on Dodge vans in the early 70's. Cozy van was the company that came out with the color but they are out of business and Dodge does not carry the paint chip. The color was popular back then. Does anyone know the paint # or have an idea on how to get it.
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Please need Paint help!!! - January 28th 2011 8:28 pm
Have you tried contacting PPG? Do you have a sample of the paint, they can regenerate almost any color today from a scan of the original color.
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Please need Paint help!!! - January 29th 2011 6:36 am
I don't know where to get it but at least I've seen it; that was on my older Brother's Dodge, but it's gone now, (RIP). That was a very pretty color.

I hope you can find what you need. At the very least I'd try visiting your local automotive paint store (check the yellow pages, etc.) and spend some time browsing through their color swatch books. I bet there's something close in there.
Posted By: Reed Re: Please need Paint help!!! - January 29th 2011 7:23 am
Ditto. Try to find an autobody supply shop that has been in business for about three decades. There is one of these in my home town and they have paint chip books going back to the 30s with the modern paint code equivalents.
Posted By: M_S Re: Please need Paint help!!! - January 29th 2011 3:55 pm
I've been going through the same thing with my '32. I had an El Camino that the original owner had painted by Larry Watson and I have been trying to find as close a match for the color w/o going candy like Watson did. They turned me on to Sherwin Williams which has a chip system similar to PPG. Every color under the sun, and my jobber is letting me do a custom mix to fine tune. I picked a chip and they gave me a pint, I did a spray out and returned to the store with the panel. They come from the back with toners and pearls and we modify until I like it then another spray out and so on until I am happy. I'm on my third spray out and when done all they need to do is a color match and mix a gallon. The paint is water borne and sprays out really well with great coverage. The only drawback is the expense, the pint was over $50, and the match will be $25, considering that the product sprays right from the can (no reduction) you can see where the material costs will end up. All in all it will be well worth it to get the color I am happy with and use material that the neighbors can't gripe about and easy gun cleanup in the sink.

The Sherwin Williams site should have a jobber locator by zip code.

You can also to to TCP Globals website, they have a catalog of paint chips dating back to the early 1900's. However, the early paint chip books are not the greatest especially when viewed on the web.
© Vannin' Community and Forums