Vannin' Home
Posted By: 0007 New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 7:56 pm
Hello everyone,I am new to Vannin and can’t wait to share some of my knowledge with everyone. This is some of my qualifications, Master RV technician and ASE automotive technician. I purchased a Dodge Ram Van B250 from the county and man did they beat it to death. I have currently replaced most of the gaskets and the radiator. I added a carb hat and cold air intake; I pulled the A999 3 speed trany out and replaced it with an A518 4 speed with over drive transmission. I had the drive shaft cut and balanced but have not had time to test drive it because it looks like the fuel pump is gone. As soon as I have the time to fix this I’ll let you know. As you can see I like to mod things, I hope in the future I can be of help to the rest of the group. On topic:Question is because I can't remember,can I just add a inline fuel pump or do I have to remove the old one?
Posted By: CatFish Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 8:03 pm
Well Howdy! welcome from Peach State Vans.
If ya like to Mod vans,,,you've come to the right place. I wish I knew something about Dodges so I could help you out.
But there's a slew of Dodge Heads here, and they're all good people.
Posted By: ScarletteWidowDodge Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 8:05 pm
Welcome to the group Me personally I would remove the old one
Posted By: smitty Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 8:07 pm
welcome Aboard!
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 8:27 pm
It depends on what year the van is. If it's an older van with a mechanical fuel pump you will need to replace it as the carb won't be able to keep up with the amount of fuel an electric pump sends. If it's a newer van your pump might be in the tank and you may be able bypass it with an inline pump, but then you would have to consider that something possibly clogged the pump and killed it and you wouldn't be able to draw fuel through it with an inline pump if that were the case. Thats just my line of thinking on the matter, what you do may differ but I would just replace the old one.
Posted By: 0007 Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 8:38 pm
I was thinking the same thing and man the pump for my model is pricey.$230 something
Posted By: Galaxy Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 8:44 pm
welcome to the site!
Check with www.rockauto.com
There is a discount code listed in the forum list.
Posted By: NateB Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 9:13 pm
What year van?

When the Magnum MPFI engines came out (1992 for the 5.2 and 1993 for the 5.9) Dodge went to a fuel pump module which contained the pump, sender, regulator, and filter (after 7/93) as one complete unit. Adding an inline pump may interfere with the regulator, unless you add one of those inline as well. I suppose it could work.

I just had the pump module replaced in my 94 and yes it was pricey but I know everything is correct.

You can use an electric pump with a carbureted engine but of course you will have to add an adjustable regulator inline.

Welcome to vanning.com!
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 9:42 pm
welcome shift
Posted By: Superbeast Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 15th 2009 10:05 pm
welcome aboard. Yes, it's a little confusing. What year van is this and what type of fuel pump does it have now. You say mechanical, which leads me to believe that it's driven by the engine? If so then yes you should be able to add an in line electric pump with a fuel pressure regulator.
Posted By: 0007 Re: New to the gang! with a question! - September 16th 2009 1:44 pm
Hello again, I have a 1994 Dodge Ram Van with a 3.9l V6 fuel injected. I love this Van it is the short body style with the B250 rating and now with the 4 speed with overdrive it should get really good gas mileage. The pain will be that I filled the tank Boo Hoo now I have to buy some gas cans frown.
© Vannin' Community and Forums