Vannin' Home
Posted By: 1320Chevy 1320Chevy's project thread - February 22nd 2012 5:05 pm
1990 G20 Rocky Ridge Conversion RV

[Linked Image]

When i got out of the Army in 2009 i wanted to travel the states, figured it wasnt happening in an 86 f350... so i traded my truck and a 55" tv for my van.

I spent six month living out of the van traveling up and down the east coast.

Met my now fiancée in georgia, and decided it was time to go home. Now we have an infant, a house and its time to remodel.

Condition when initially aquired
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Proceeded to update the van as I built up a good feel for what i wanted out of it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Unfortunetly, my father found himself a Bagabon Voyager and decided he wanted to live on a beach for a while, so i lent him the van so he would atleast have shelter. And after i drove this van through city traffic into the woods and all way up and down the coast without a ding dent scratch or otherwise, i get it back with all the above mentioned in all the wrong places...

starting the inside...
[Linked Image]
ill update this image once i get rid of the tires...lol (flea market material)

Current design intent
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

good thing is my significant other loves the van on road trips, and is fully supportive, even my father in law helps out keeping it clean (he loves detailing anything!)
[Linked Image]

In the market for a new car for the woman, then ill be driving the old commuter while i strip the van of all paint glass and rust to restore it to my level of clean.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - February 22nd 2012 5:43 pm
looks good. Cant wait to see the progress!
Posted By: al55 Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - February 22nd 2012 9:18 pm
cool chevy Yea keep us up dated we love van pics on this site yay
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - February 23rd 2012 7:22 am
Very nice, and the wifey is a vanner too, can't beat that!
Posted By: 1320Chevy Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - February 23rd 2012 6:05 pm
In the end, what i hope to accomplish is a more rugged appearance as i find myself on the occasional trail or clay road, the comfort/quality of a luxury home/class c rv, while still being able to participate in the average local car show (i grew up around them and have had many vintage muscle machines from a 53 f100 429 to an LSA powered 78 malibu).

it sounds imposable to mix the best of all worlds, especially as i wasn't around for the 70's and found myself a vanner by function rather than form. as such gull-wings, partitioned beds, and murals just arent my thing. i enjoy them, but its just not for me.

i invision a white/silver or white/blue two-tone scallop paint job, a decent set of chrome rims, maybe 17s? or ill stick with the 15" rallys/smoothies with an oversized tire. while all trim and accessories (oversized step bumper, ladder rack, roof platform, etc) are black. and my interior ideas are above...

I am building it atm to keep steady on my intent, but what i find myself searching online for is inspiration that this is the van i want to build... im constantly tossing over the g20 conversion to a g30 club wagon to an express cargo van with 24" bubble top to the occasional econoline and ramvan.... i have had over 100 vehicles pass through my hands since 2001, and every time i get one, it IS THE ONE... then once i am half way done... i see something else that IS THE ONE...

my wife is supportive and is happy with whatever i do, she just wants me to settle on a single van and stick with it.
Posted By: XTReME_LiMiTzZ Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - February 23rd 2012 7:12 pm
cool.. smile
Posted By: VanPLan Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - February 25th 2012 12:50 pm
tks for your service...and wow. House,new baby and a VanPLan all in a couple yrs. You've bin busy. beer
Good luck with the build and welcome to the boards.
coffee
Posted By: ITravel Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 07th 2012 1:41 am
Like your van, and planning a similar travel. Never know where life's taking you eh? Worked out great for you, just don't lend your dad nothing no more. Lesson learned, things can be fixed and everything else still there.

Cool!
Posted By: 1320Chevy Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 08th 2012 3:20 pm
Bit of an update... Van on its last leg before hitting full on project mode... intake gasket leaking, coolant mixing with oil, trans slipping in and out of overdrive... still debating between parts van, or replacement. drivetrain would not warrant replacement, however the fact that it starts with pliers requires a new steering column. the window regulators and guides are rotted, and the passenger side doesnt even have a guide, so it tends to fall into the door. the top has a few layers chipping as if my father attempted a parking garage and whacked something? the old black-water tank drain and vent along with all the camper wiring and water lines, propane heater exhaust, etc has left large holes in the roof, floor, sides, firewall, etc... for all these reasons i need a parts van (by the time i get everything from the junkyard, i will have spent enough to buy a whole one), or make mine a parts van...
wife likes the 96-02 chevys but hate them with hitops, and i dont like the newer body with the older engine design. dont have funds for 02+, however i have found two really interesting vans...

84 G-series 6.2 DIESEL (i love older diesels)... a bit rough around the edges, but gobbs of potential:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

or an 86 e350 6.9 DIESEL...
[Linked Image]

Or stick to my van?
[Linked Image]

Interested in everyones opinions here...

Just for HaHa's... my first van:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 08th 2012 3:54 pm
i vote for fix the current one. Look at my build thread and see everything ive had to go through for my van, its truly a labor of love. Whatever you do, good luck!
Posted By: pockets Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 09th 2012 1:41 am
i kinda like that 84' with the diesel. either way i say stick with a chevy smile and good luck with which ever you choose.
Posted By: frscke1 Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 09th 2012 3:05 am
If you do the one you have you know whats up with it & know what to expect, what has been fixed and what it needs...if you go get another you have to start over.....reg is more ins is more van payments...all this can put your current van in show quality....

I vote to keep the one you have....
Posted By: 1320Chevy Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 09th 2012 7:21 pm
interesting point of view frscke1, good points. im a vanner by function, but i want to build the van to form. however the van i have has nothing in common with my vision... guess i just need to determine pipe dream or reality and follow through. thanks fellahs
Posted By: 1320Chevy Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 20th 2012 8:05 pm
progress on the cabinets...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 20th 2012 9:00 pm
Very Nice
Posted By: 1320Chevy Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 30th 2012 4:17 am
Lower diver side cabinet construction complete, ill post a picture tomorrow. next step is wood putty to fill the recessed screw head holes, seal the wood and paint.

got new carpet, already fixed the intake gasket, and rebuilt my trans (PITA). while i was at the salvage yard getting parts, i got new seats for my fiancee's volvo, so her burgundy seats are going into my van, along with the drivers cargo van seat rail (i hate how low mine sits). also got a few rolls of 5% and 25% tint. should be able to have everything together in a week or so...

also found a new salvage yard that has its own section of vans, approx 60! most of which are so mint its enough to anger the average vanner (ill snap a few pix next time im out there) so new doors, and steering column are in the works once i finish what i've already started. clearly i've decided to stick with my van. just going to suck when i start doing body work.
Posted By: lukester Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 30th 2012 2:38 pm
very cool.Cant wait to see more pics.Good luck with the window tint.That stuff always gives me a hard time. frown
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - March 30th 2012 3:32 pm
Sounds like youve gotten alot done! Good job. Cant wait to see pics!
Posted By: 1320Chevy Re: 1320Chevy's project thread - April 05th 2012 5:29 am
[Linked Image]
cabinets are structurally complete, been pretty busy alternating projects so its been a bit slow moving...
[Linked Image]
© Vannin' Community and Forums