update on my 87 g20

Posted by: Bruiserman

update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 11:56 am

here are some pics. I went with blue and white. Wood floor is in. Ceiling is just about finished. Still have some more panels to make but everything seems to be coming together. All the brown other than the wood will eventually be gone. I think the hardest part will be getting white or blue seats without killing my wallet.

Posted by: rizzman

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 12:15 pm

It looks good. nice floor too.. cool van.
Posted by: Superbeast

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted By: rizzman
It looks good. nice floor too.. cool van.
yeah
Posted by: Galaxy

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 12:57 pm

The floor looks great! I like the two tone paint job.
Nice van chevy
Posted by: downie519

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 6:34 pm

Well, the trick would be getting your seats to you in the time frame you will need them. I can get seats really, really cheap from a buddy of mine, but I dont go there in the winter, its too dang cold and I dont have money. I always need money when I go see em cuz they always have stuff I want.
I am not sure what the cost of shipping a seat would be but might be worth looking into for what I can get the seats for. Let me know if yer interested and what your time frame is.
Posted by: Bandvan

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 7:43 pm

Way to bring that van into the 21st century! Looking good with those wheels for sure. Its really coming together nicely
Posted by: PYSCHOWard

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 8:26 pm

Looks Great.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 9:39 pm

Originally Posted By: downie519
Well, the trick would be getting your seats to you in the time frame you will need them. I can get seats really, really cheap from a buddy of mine, but I dont go there in the winter, its too dang cold and I dont have money. I always need money when I go see em cuz they always have stuff I want.
I am not sure what the cost of shipping a seat would be but might be worth looking into for what I can get the seats for. Let me know if yer interested and what your time frame is.

actually I'm not in a huge hurry with the seats. I will be working on the interior for a while still. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what kind of deal you can find. I can wait till it is most convenient for you. When you get a chance pm me when you think you'll be able to look into it and what you would need from me on my end. Hopefully shipping wouldn't be cost prohibitive. I am looking to get a set of front seats and then either get the rear seat recovered or new cushions. It is one of those electric folding beds and I am hoping to keep it in the van if possible.
Posted by: draggnastro

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 17th 2010 10:24 pm

Looks good buddy! Cant wait to see it in Ocala!
Posted by: starwars

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 18th 2010 7:38 am

looks great
Posted by: downie519

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 18th 2010 5:49 pm

hmm, I will try to get back to my guy next weekend and see if he has any right now. anything specific you are looking for? I can get them out of cars, trucks, etc...??? other than blue or white?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 23rd 2010 10:20 am

As far as seat colors, I really want white, but blue would work. I saw the "shark" van and it had some nice white seats. Loved the look.
I have seen a few vans with the right blue but it is hard to find them in real good condition. I did find new seats for about $500 in white for the front but that is pricey. Haven't found anything for my rear bench/bed.
I'm also looking at custom seat covers which would run arond $400 for everything. That may work one day. I may just leave the brown in for a while and save up. If you find something in blue or white let me know. If not I'll just wait.

I will be finishing the rear this week I hope. Will update the pics soon.
Posted by: Bigbluetotoro

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 23rd 2010 2:05 pm

that thing is sweet! I love the paint!
Posted by: josh_performanceinc

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 23rd 2010 4:34 pm

Hey if you're going with white seats, Mooneyes has just started reproducing the metalflake steering wheels that I've seen on the old school customs that I saw often had white seats. I think it would go well with your style too. Here's a link. mooneyes metalflake wheel I want one myself too. drool

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 23rd 2010 8:25 pm

cool thanks, will check those out.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 25th 2010 6:26 pm

ok, as promised here are some pics of the finished floor and the main walls completed. This week the four doors should be done and also the roof panels put in. If I can I'll also be getting some of the cabinet (if you want to call it that) work done.

Posted by: PYSCHOWard

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 25th 2010 6:31 pm

Nice job, looks great.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 25th 2010 9:20 pm

hey lookin real clean!
Posted by: 86ed

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 25th 2010 11:07 pm

yes, very nice, looks awesome. the blue walls with white trim looks great. the wood is also very nice lookin

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 03rd 2011 4:52 pm

Got some more done today. Back doors and one of the panels.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 03rd 2011 5:03 pm

Van is looking awesome bro! Are you planning on some limo tint for the windows at some point?
I would love to do a photo shoot with our vans together, As they are so much alike. chevy

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 03rd 2011 8:02 pm

Thats funny, I was just telling my wife that those windows are getting limo tint. She was worried the fabric might fade. I think the tint will look good and allow me to just put up some curtains and not blinds. Plus it will keep anything from fading even here in Florida.
I should have the back of the van done in a couple weeks. The front is going to be tricky but I have some ideas floating around.
I love all the windows in your topper. Was thinking about adding some to mine but I don't think I am brave enough at this point.

A photo shoot would be cool with our vans. Maybe one day .

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 04th 2011 2:50 am

the Limo tint will definately help you when camping in it too. You will find out quick that morning daylight SUCKS after a good night of partying with vanners.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 04th 2011 2:52 am

hey when you wanna meet up and check out these seats to trade?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 04th 2011 8:57 am

I have to see what day I'm free, I have family in town but I'm not working Sat or Sun. I'm also off this Wed and Thurs. So maybe sometime this week would work. Even next week is good. What days are you available?

BTW are the seats as wild in person as they came up in the pics?? lol

When I get home from shift (tomorrow) I'll send you a real good pic of the seats. They have this wierd lever for sliding the seats. I made a basic lever that works much better. You'll see the wierd lever in the pics. If you have any other of the blue seats would love to see them too. I'm wondering what the fronts look like.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 04th 2011 4:53 pm

I only got the 2 front ones. they are that swirly crushed velour look. They are definately cool. Yesterday and today are my days off but im off at 4 the rest of the week. if nothing else we can figure somethin out at V4V. You still plannin on coming? Im leaving around 1 friday.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 04th 2011 7:35 pm

I'd like to go to V4V but I won't be able to do an overnighter and I don't want to pay unless I can do the whole thing. Plus my van isn't ready. I don't have anything in the back at all. I should get the storage pieces done this week and I'm hoping to get the electronics in there too. My roof isn't done yet either. So I have a ways to go before I'm willing to take her out to show off at all. The pics on here don't show the undone stuff. It's still pretty rough where I haven't started working yet. I will get her done soon though. I'm even thinking of a name for her. lol

I might be able to head down your way one day this week or next and meet up sometime after 4. I only need two seats since I am eliminating the middle captains chair. Eventually I hope to put the swivel base back in there with a low back seat instead of a captains chair. It depends on what I do to the rear still.

BTW, how are your seats mounted to the bases? Mine are bolted to the swivel bases with four bolts. Very easy to remove. Hoping that they will be easy to switch. I don't want to pull out the bases since I'd rather not drill more holes in the van to mount new bases. I'll take some pics when I get home. I have one seat out so you can see how it mounts.
Later
B
Posted by: Nubchuck

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 07th 2011 2:16 am

I love the paint. Great job.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 07th 2011 12:57 pm

mine mount with 4 bolts as well. You dont have to show the van off, just matters that you got one. Either way. Im off at 4 all this week. Head on down whenever you got a minute. I imagine we can swap seats and keep the bases we each have since mine has swivels too. What are you doing tith the 3rd seat? Ill just give you a call tonight and talk to ya about it.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 09th 2011 2:21 pm

yeah, I hear ya, but I have a thing about unfinished projects. I don't take them out for much more than a drive to work or to the parts store. Once it is done then it will be a different story. Right now I"m restaining some of the wood and getting ready to put that back together. I put the brown couch back in for now. Been trying to contact this guy on Craigslist and he won't get back to me. Wish he would. It is coming together though and a bit faster that I had planned so that is good.

I have that third seat. I was going to sell it with the base for probably $100 if I can. I also plan on selling the rear electric bench/bed if I do get the blue one on craigslist.

I'll try and reach you this week if I can.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - January 10th 2011 9:47 am

cool! Lets see some more pics!

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 09th 2011 11:13 am

Well, getting closer and closer. Now I have some blue seats to go with the new interior.

BTW, thinking of calling this van "Big Blue" as I will be doing a NY Giants theme in it as well.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 09th 2011 11:34 am

Wow, Those seats look awesome in there!
As I am also a Giants fan I love the name. chevy

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 09th 2011 11:37 am

seats look good in there, i think i may have seen them somewhere before lol!
Posted by: DDK

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 09th 2011 2:15 pm

All your work looks great, I'm a fan of the entire interior.

However, I gotta say... THOSE SEATS ROCK!!! I'd love to get something like that swiveling in mine when the project is wrapping up!

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 09th 2011 6:36 pm

I will post some swivel action tomorrow once I get off duty. I have to adjust the seatbelt on my passener seat to allow full swivel. Actually changed my interior design idea so that I can utilize the front seats. I just need some carpet up front now. My partner at work suggested white shag. I'm leaning towards white carpet of some kind (not sure about shag) and then putting clear plastic floor mats down. I could remove the mats for shows and I think the white would go good with these seats.
Stay tuned....
Posted by: XTReME_LiMiTzZ

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 09th 2011 9:54 pm

those are some nice lookin seats right there, very nice..

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 10th 2011 4:29 pm

white carpet? You got balls sir!

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 10th 2011 9:35 pm

looks good

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 10th 2011 9:53 pm

I guess so lol, just hoping there are some clear plastic floor mats made to fit this van. Might pull out the rest of the carpet.
Astro- if you want those levers I got em'
Posted by: lukester

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 10th 2011 10:49 pm

Those seats really look good in there.Keep up the good work.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 11th 2011 7:52 am

Love the look! I think those were the seats Charlie was wanting to buy, I guess someone else already got them Charlie.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 11th 2011 2:21 pm

yeah bruiser, i do want them, sorry i couldnt make it out tuesday. Had alot of work around the house to do. Im off sun, tues, and thurs. Pick a day and ill make a trip out. i also gotta figure out why the drivers seat sits crooked... like its nos bolted to the base square, guess thats what we get for installing seats in the dark, rain etc....

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 11th 2011 7:00 pm

Sunday or Thursday would be good. I'm on duty Tuesday. If that seat won't straighten I have another one at the house that I haven't sold yet. We can swap those and see if it's better. It's the same exact seat, same condition.

Yeah, we were either going to put them in in the rain or in the dark. Wasn't the best day for it. lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 11th 2011 7:08 pm

Sunday or Thursday would be good. I'm on duty Tuesday. If that seat won't straighten I have another one at the house that I haven't sold yet. We can swap those and see if it's better. It's the same exact seat, same condition.

Yeah, we were either going to put them in in the rain or in the dark. Wasn't the best day for it. lol
Posted by: NateNCBV

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 12th 2011 3:55 pm

Seats look great!
Posted by: c1run1

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 12th 2011 6:22 pm

thsoe seats are very nice ! They are a great addtion to the Van .

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 14th 2011 11:01 am

figured out why it was crooked, the swivel had an adjustment to it and it was turned just a little bit. Had to unbolt the latch and move it a notch over, fine as wine now. Thursday works good for me. Ill call ya.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 19th 2011 9:59 pm

Here are some updated pics of the front seat area. Got both front doors done. The engine cover is going in tomorrow and some carpet as well.

Got a question as well. I had a power driver seat and now there are all these control boxes under the seat. Were these all for controling the seat or do they do more than just that. I have thought of unhooking it all but don't want to if I don't know what they are for. One of the boxes is hooked up to a large wire loom coming up through the floor of the van with a ton of wires. I'm thinking it is important.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 19th 2011 10:06 pm

lookin good, as for the box theres sometimes 2, one being the computer for the van which you dont wanna remove..how do they look the ones you have?

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 20th 2011 12:02 am

i like those door panels! nice job

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 20th 2011 6:39 am

door panel looks good

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 20th 2011 12:59 pm

One of those boxes could be the ECM for the motor. You don't want to remove that. Any controls for the seat should be mounted to the seat anyway.
Keep up the good work.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 21st 2011 9:42 am

thats what I was thinking. The boxes look important. I'll just have to find a way to tuck them out of sight.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 8:29 am

Nice job on the door panel. Yes, boxes are puter related, not for the seat
Posted by: wookee

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 10:19 am

Because they did not meet stricter safety codes in the 80's, and GM moving the computer control box under the drivers seat.Is why you DO NOT see swivel front seat set ups in conversion vans any more.
you should be able to attach the box flat to the floor in front or behind the seat base swivel.
Then make a removable cover up for it.Cover it with the carpet you are using in the rest of the van.......

......Wookee
Posted by: fatvanman

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 11:10 am

I don't know if the harness can be re-routed a bit, but my 1994 parts van has the computer mounted vertically to the backside of the B-pillar right behind the driver door. The harness and computer are hidden behind the paneling and completely out of harms way. If you could move things around a bit, that would be a great place to move the computer.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 6:40 pm

Well, I am going to be building a little cabinet behind the seat and I think I can put it in the bottom of it. It reaches pretty far behind the drivers seat.

Oh, and I put in the carpeting. Yup, it's white but I'll have it protected. Just bought some clear plastic floor protector on it right now.

and

Posted by: frscke1

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 8:04 pm

You are one brave vanner....white carpet in the driver compartment...I take it it will be a show van ? or a daily ?

OUTSTANDING WORK
Posted by: Cloudy

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 8:26 pm

What is a GRIVER?
"white carpet in the griver compartment"

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 8:28 pm

now thats a 1st for me seein white carpet, in the front noless..very cool very different..

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 8:31 pm

Originally Posted By: Cloudy
What is a GRIVER?

damn kyeboaard tpyes wwhta eevn it wwnats

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 23rd 2011 8:51 pm

bold move using white carpet; looks fantastic!

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 4:17 am

looks good
would have never thought of using white carpet

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 7:10 am

Looks awesome! I do have to agree white would last about a week in my van!

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 10:33 am

What is a GRIVER?

A "GRIVER" is a van driver in grief cause his van isnt done yet...

A "GRIVER" is a vanner that just saw the price of gas on his way to the NATS 2500 miles away

A "GRIVER" is a vanner that ______________________________

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 12:42 pm

I think the white carpet looks great! Never mind wipe your feet...
You better take off your shoes and put clean socks on! grin

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 12:47 pm

I have some Hazmat suits that you can use driving to go to the nats

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 3:52 pm

the white carpet turned out nice! sorry i havent been in touch lately S.O.D. has been giving me fits. 1st a u-joint issue then manifold gaskets. been a rough week.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 4:01 pm

The white is different, and I think looks better than more blue would have. I have some plastic carpet protector for when I drive it around. It covers the whole front area and I can take it off for shows. Passengers will have to remove their shoes while in the van j/k.

Don't worry about it astro, whenever you get it all fixed up and road worthy just come on by.
Posted by: Cloudy

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 5:53 pm

The carpet looks great.

Thanks Frsckes

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 24th 2011 6:08 pm

You can see the plastic in this pic. Should keep it clean.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 27th 2011 6:22 pm

Got some running board lights on there.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 27th 2011 11:21 pm

kool lights

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 27th 2011 11:47 pm

Oh I agree this will be one sweet ride

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 28th 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the compliments, oh, and the front carpet area is finished.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 28th 2011 8:59 pm

lookin real good =)

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - February 28th 2011 10:47 pm

very nice.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 02nd 2011 10:48 am

ok, mine next for carpet!

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 02nd 2011 9:30 pm

Not till he is done here in San Diego....lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 04th 2011 5:51 pm

Well here are some pics, just finished the front headliner area. Just about wore myself out doing it too. Time to recoupe. There are just a few things left before I actually start designing the rear lounge/sleep area. It's to the point that I can take it to some van meets though. Now I just need to find one in the area.
When is the next one Draggin?

Posted by: GhostRyder

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 04th 2011 8:06 pm

you sure are making an unemployed vanner jealous lol

GhostRyder
Do you beleive in ghosts?
1981 Chevy G20
http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w321/mudslinger2006/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 05th 2011 12:57 am

kool

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 06th 2011 3:50 pm

Sidewinders march 11-12. Next one im going to is beverly beach may 5-6 or somewhere around there. i got a new phone number ill call you.

Re: update on my 87 g20 as of 2/9/2011 - March 06th 2011 3:53 pm

cool im likin it

Re: update on my 87 g20 - March 07th 2011 10:12 am

I'm thinking the one in May might be a good one. Could be a good time at the beach. Will have to shoot for that one since this weekend I'll be at the Gator Nationals.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - April 30th 2011 9:28 pm

Getting ready for the Beach! Got my table in with the xbox and tv. I've got a week left to get it ready. It's going to be my first vannin event.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 01st 2011 8:35 am

Looks great ! very clean and neat . Just gose to show you don't have to make boxes for everything you put in there .

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 01st 2011 4:54 pm

lookin great! Im tryin to catch up on mine!
Posted by: Henk

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 01st 2011 6:14 pm

I have been thru all 9 pages, that´s a very nice ride you build man. I love the 2 tone paintjob and you´ve build a very clean interior. Awesome job.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 01st 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks, i'm trying to keep it simple, I like to have plenty of open space to relax.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 02nd 2011 4:24 pm

cant go wrong with that...

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 02nd 2011 4:29 pm

Looking good buddy! Going to your first van run this weekend?
Be prepared to have the time of your life!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 02nd 2011 11:56 pm

haha, yup, my first. My wife thinks I'm crazy, been hyped up all week workin on the van non stop. Bought my canopy and a 12v cooler. Have my grill all set. Hoping I don't forget anything.
Posted by: Awbartley

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 03rd 2011 4:06 am

Looks great! It sounds like you have everything covered!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 04th 2011 4:19 pm

Interior done.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 04th 2011 10:44 pm

Looks great.Cant wait to see this beauty in person.I hope your gonna put it in the show Sat.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 04th 2011 11:40 pm

very nice!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 05th 2011 10:19 am

Thanks, didn't know there was a show too. She's not perfect but if there is a show I'd want to be in it. Anyway, I have no idea what to expect but can't wait to head out there tomorrow. It will be nice to meet some of the people that hang out on this site. Plus I can't wait to see some other cool vans. I don't see too many in this area other than DragginAstro's so this should be a real treat.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 05th 2011 11:15 am

Your van is looking really good. I'm sure it will get a lot of attention at the show. Look on the EVENTS page. There is a thread on PACKING LIST FOR EVENTS. That maybe helpful to you when loading up for this run.
And don't forget the camera! lol
Posted by: NateNCBV

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 05th 2011 11:51 am

Great job on the interior! Beautiful! Have fun on your first evant! I know I did.

Hell..that pic of your canopy up by the van, sheeeit you can have a mini van run right in your driveway! lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 05th 2011 6:27 pm

lol, sure could. I found that list too. Thanks. There's way more on there than I will need but it did mention some things I hadn't thought of.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 05th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted By: Bruiserman
I found that list too. Thanks.

Your welcome bro, Have fun!
I'm going vannin this weekend myself. We'll compare notes on Monday. lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 06th 2011 3:47 pm

And sorry to say I wont even be able to attend this weekend... Gimme a call when you get back and let me know how it went! Cant wait to hear all about it. Now that the wifes Jimmy is running again i can get back to S.O.D.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 26th 2011 12:44 am

So I was thinking "Big Blue" needed more blue.
Posted by: Hammer

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 26th 2011 2:14 pm

COOOOOL!!!! smile
Posted by: Wizard78

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 26th 2011 3:42 pm

Very cool

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 27th 2011 12:23 pm

yeah

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 27th 2011 11:32 pm

Very nice.

For those of you that have not seen Big Blue in person,your really missing out.It is a frigging beautiful van.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - May 30th 2011 11:22 am

Thanks for the compliment Luke.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 08th 2011 4:01 pm

Well, got a few changes. Here are some pics of the van with Limo tint all around, I mounted a 24"LED tv to the wall because 24" is more than 19" and more is always better. lol
Plus a set of fog lights and home made centercaps.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 08th 2011 4:11 pm

What a difference the tint makes! Looking really good bro.
I'm gonna have some competition at the nationals. grin
(unless they separate Chevy/GMC again)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 11th 2011 1:49 am

Originally Posted By: GALAXY

Thanks, the tint is great, just what I was hoping for.

lol If you keep fixin your van up I won't be able to keep up, you need to slow down lol

J/K Seriously, I can't wait to see your van in person and steal/borrow some of your ideas. lol
Posted by: leanmachinechevy

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 11th 2011 12:37 pm

very nice CHEVY VAN/PAINT JOB!!!!!! U HAVE THERE!!!!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 11th 2011 6:49 pm

Looks even better in person! Good seeing you and your better half last night, fun was had by all! Now just to trade you up to a real van...a DODGE!!!! lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 12th 2011 1:05 am

If you keep fixin your van up I won't be able to keep up, you need to slow down

I spent the last 3 days in a cabinet shop about 50 hrs for my 92.... lets go lets go.... if ya cant keep up move over coming thru...speed limit 80 mph....lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 12th 2011 10:19 pm

I see how it is lol and I'm not pulling over! Some more changes are on the way...

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 12th 2011 10:30 pm

vans lookin real good! lol nice we have some good motorvation goin on.. =)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 12th 2011 10:35 pm

What a difference the tint makes! Looking really good bro.

scared ? say your scared ? LOL glad i'm not Judgin , it would be to hard .

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 12th 2011 10:38 pm

Sweet yay

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 4:27 pm

Dyed all the marker lights the other day. Haven't done the brake lights since I think I still like it when people can see me stopping. Might do something to them though, just not full tint.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 4:42 pm

Nice! I like the blacked out look for the lights.
It's all the little things like you are doing that add up to ONE SWEET VAN!
Keep up the good work. chevy

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 6:29 pm

Put a Chevy Bow Tie so when you hit your brakes they know whats in front of them and how much its going to cost them IF they rear end you....besides the back end of a Chevy is like a brick wall...3 cars have had a close up view (they were looking up at my lic plate) of my bumper and all they did was scratch it and a little roll

so I got a way better one no dents no scratches just needs a good polish

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 6:32 pm

Well, got a few changes. Here are some pics of the van with Limo tint all around, I mounted a 24"LED tv to the wall because 24" is more than 19" and more is always better. lol
Plus a set of fog lights and home made centercaps.

THATS SWEET.....This isnt fair you only have 1 to do Im feeding 2....

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 6:34 pm

thats kinda what I was thinking of doing. I just need to make a template which should be pretty easy.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 10:45 pm

id tint out the tail lights if i was u.....i did mine(pitch black looks like its painted after i put the clear) on the 79 and 09...all i did was put led bulbs and at night when lit looks like red eyes... =)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 11:00 pm

Originally Posted By: frscke1

You're not getting any sympathy from me. lol It's your fault you have two. I can fix that for you, just ship one here and I'll take care of it. smile

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 11:03 pm

Originally Posted By: XTReME_LiMiTzZ
id tint out the tail lights if i was u.....i did mine(pitch black looks like its painted after i put the clear) on the 79 and 09...all i did was put led bulbs and at night when lit looks like red eyes... =)

I'm still up in the air on it. I love the look, just not sure yet. Do you have any pics of it on the site somewhere?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 13th 2011 11:34 pm

I'm still up in the air on it. I love the look, just not sure yet. Do you have any pics of it on the site somewhere?

im gonna check i think i do of the 79 and 09 if not ill snap some pics and post them tomorrow, i did find this pic though, i was gonna change the 79 classics lense to the newer so i tinted them and wound up tinting the classic lense and liking them with the chrome trim ring lol... was trying to get charlie to take this set........

what you think?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 1:43 am

Originally Posted By: frscke1

You're not getting any sympathy from me. lol It's your fault you have two. I can fix that for you, just ship one here and I'll take care of it. smile

Reguardless of brand, shape, color and glass or no glass isnt 2 better to have....drive one work on one...then switch?

GOD, I cant help it Im guilty...Im a Vanner.....
Posted by: Uncle_Fester

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 2:15 am

Becarefull with tinting the tail lights, in Oklahoma City, they will impound the van/car on the spot! Check you local laws before you do, or have two sets, one stock and one tinted for shows.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 10:40 am

I remember you talking about doing the tint.
But I don't recall you ever offering me this set?
I want to do something with my head/taillights before the nats. I was planning on ordering covers and painting them to match the black on the bottom of my van. But this could be another option...
(sorry about the hijack Brian)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 10:41 am

Here in Fla. if there is a law for it they dont enforce it. Very few restrictions here which is nice. I'd hate to be driving through a state though and get impounded. Seems a little drastic.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 10:43 am

im gonna check i think i do of the 79 and 09 if not ill snap some pics and post them tomorrow, i did find this pic though, i was gonna change the 79 classics lense to the newer so i tinted them and wound up tinting the classic lense and liking them with the chrome trim ring lol... was trying to get charlie to take this set........

what you think?

I like them, are they available??

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 8:08 pm

Looking good,I really like the dark lights.
Posted by: canavan

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 10:00 pm

Here in Fla. if there is a law for it they dont enforce it. Very few restrictions here which is nice. I'd hate to be driving through a state though and get impounded. Seems a little drastic.

I've always used the "just passing through" argument with no problems. Same when I was stopped for going in and out of the carpool lane (with the right number of passengers) in California which there is a no no but here you are allowed to. So I wouldn't worry too much if I was you.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 10:19 pm

I was talking about a Bow Tie sticker on the outside....dont want the questionable trouble...

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 14th 2011 10:49 pm

I got popped for them in my mustang a couple years ago, but mostly if your not doing anything stupid they wont screw with you.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 15th 2011 10:10 am

I remember you talking about doing the tint.
But I don't recall you ever offering me this set?
I want to do something with my head/taillights before the nats. I was planning on ordering covers and painting them to match the black on the bottom of my van. But this could be another option...
(sorry about the hijack Brian)

haha yepp i did..we were also talking about the headlight bezels you wanted to figure a cover for them or something =)

i have a box of spare lenses lol if anyone wants to have a set done for them let me know..

i have to grab a pic of the ones i did for my 79 so you guys can see that too

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 15th 2011 11:27 am

heres pics of my 79 tails done..

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 15th 2011 11:36 am

Now that looks really good!
1 - because it's on a black van.
2 - because it has the chrome trim ring.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 15th 2011 11:10 pm

Now that looks really good!
1 - because it's on a black van.
2 - because it has the chrome trim ring.

thankyou =)

certain colors it looks real good, black the best..and yeah i like how it came out leaving the trim ring,,seperates it but still looks sleek i say =)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 16th 2011 3:28 pm

So I think I did the first thing I don't 100% like on my van. However, it's not bad, just have to decide if I want the rear tires to match the front or vice versa. Not sure if I like the low profile (255/35/20) vs my larger regular profiled tire (275/45/20). I changed it so that the front tire no longer rubbed when turning hard or when going over speed bumps and that was the point of smaller tire. Anyway, here are a couple pics. I'll probably change the rears to match, something like (275/35/20) or similar, just not sure when. The other idea is to lower the front just a little bit. decisions/decisions

you can really see the difference here

and here, not so much

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 16th 2011 3:48 pm

Just my opinion, But I'm not a fan of the really small 'rubber band' tires.
Manly because I drive my van fast and hard, long distance and sometimes off-road into the woods. As far as the look goes, I don't see much difference in the above pictures. I think either way would look good on your van...And it's YOUR van. Do what ya want!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 16th 2011 4:15 pm

Galaxy, so I tried the chrome bezel thing you did on my spare set and they do not have the chrome underneath. The only place there was extra chrome to reveal was at the very top. Wierd. I'm thinking about checking the ones on the van but for now it's a no go. It was interesting finding some chrome under there though.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 16th 2011 9:51 pm

with the smaller tires in the front i would definately drop the front of the van just a hair, i dont like uneven wheel well gaps. with a nice rake it will look really good. Just a little bit though, maybe just 1 or 1.5 inches.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 16th 2011 11:55 pm

Originally Posted By: draggnastro
with the smaller tires in the front i would definately drop the front of the van just a hair, i dont like uneven wheel well gaps. with a nice rake it will look really good. Just a little bit though, maybe just 1 or 1.5 inches.

yeah

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 17th 2011 9:13 pm

I agree, thats what I'm thinking of doing. Any ideas on how Astro? I'd hate to cut the springs. My cheaper solution is to get slightly smaller rear tires. That would be easiest and would give me some room in the rear wheel wells. These tires were always rubbing and I was going to get smaller tires on there reguardless. But, I do like the rake look. Like I said, I am not sure just yet. So far I haven't rubbed the wheel wells since the change which is good and Id like to keep it that way.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 18th 2011 1:17 am

you can always add a leaf or 2 to the rear leafs..leave the front alone now tha u feel the tires are good..

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 18th 2011 8:26 am

I agree, thats what I'm thinking of doing. Any ideas on how Astro? I'd hate to cut the springs. My cheaper solution is to get slightly smaller rear tires. That would be easiest and would give me some room in the rear wheel wells. These tires were always rubbing and I was going to get smaller tires on there reguardless. But, I do like the rake look. Like I said, I am not sure just yet. So far I haven't rubbed the wheel wells since the change which is good and Id like to keep it that way.

Your Best bet is to get an air bag assist kit for the rear . It's not a low rider you want a good ride and shouldn't have to small a tire with the weight of that van .
If you get the kit from a truck shop they will install it cheap .
This will also help if you ever load the van with coolers and gear for long trips .

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 20th 2011 1:01 pm

Got my aerovisors on the windows. Really shades the front nicely when your driving and cut the vent window wind noise down a lot.

Posted by: HighwayStar

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 20th 2011 5:14 pm

Looks good were'd ya get them and how much ?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 20th 2011 6:46 pm

lookin good =)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 20th 2011 9:26 pm

I found them on Amazon for $80 plus shipping.

[link]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOLEDM[/link]

I got mine from Auto Parts Way. They were the cheapest.
Posted by: Uncle_Fester

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 20th 2011 11:26 pm

LOOKIN GOOD BUDDY!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 21st 2011 6:34 pm

i like the aero visors, if it was my van i would probably cut 1/2 a coil or buy lowering springs. only 1/2 coil wont affect the ride quality as long as you re-align it. Chevys had a decent amount of suspension travel in the front, i wouldnt raise the rear, then your just creating the visual problem of too much space between the tire and wheel well on both front and back. 1/2 coil+alignment=$50 bucks, done...
Posted by: River_Rat

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 21st 2011 6:39 pm

Cool. Flows good with everything else

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 21st 2011 7:02 pm

i like the aero visors, if it was my van i would probably cut 1/2 a coil or buy lowering springs. only 1/2 coil wont affect the ride quality as long as you re-align it. Chevys had a decent amount of suspension travel in the front, i wouldnt raise the rear, then your just creating the visual problem of too much space between the tire and wheel well on both front and back. 1/2 coil+alignment=$50 bucks, done...

Agree...... cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 21st 2011 7:58 pm

You'll see it Sunday, we'll have to take a look at that idea Draggin. I think a little rake would look cool. I always liked that look myself.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 21st 2011 10:24 pm

Looking good.I really like those aero visors.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - June 23rd 2011 12:10 am

looks good

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 9:21 pm

So, my trip home was interesting. Lost my front tire and it did a little damage to the running board. Here is a pic of the damage. Glad it happened after the Nats and not before or my van wouldn't have done so well. Tire and rim weren't damaged and just needed a new rotor.

Here is a pic at the show. I had a great time showing the van.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 9:43 pm

Go speed racer go speed racer...I saw that happen at the Nascar track Saturday....

Naw just messing with ya... but it happens a lot in Nascar when the tire pressure is low or the heat from the track....glad no one was hurt..vans can be repaired but some times people cant....

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 9:47 pm

That really sucks!
At least the damage is not to bad.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted By: lukester
That really sucks!
At least the damage is not to bad.

--------- yeah --- chevy

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:29 pm

Ouch! Always gotta remember to check the lugnut torque on aftermarket wheels. Bring it on over and we'll break out the fiberglass and repair that flair.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:31 pm

Ouch! Always gotta remember to check the lugnut torque on aftermarket wheels. Bring it on over and we'll break out the fiberglass and repair that flair.

Good man...... cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:42 pm

We Florida vanners gotta help each other out! since we're stuck way down here in the wiener of america lol!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:44 pm

Astro, it was a huge pothole that I hit at around 70mph on I95. I think the low profile tours just didn't have enough cushion. It happened about one mile after I hit it. If you have experience with fiberglass that would be great. I'm working on getting the paint matched and then get it fixed.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:47 pm

ill save you the hassle, theres a shop down here that can match the paint as near to perfect as humanly possible and i used to rebuild motorhome and semi front ends for a living, meaning to say ive worked with 'glas once or twice. Lets git-r-done

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 20th 2011 10:48 pm

Did the studs break off? or did the lugs come loose? I thought about your van today when we got a shipment of tires in today with a few sizes you may be interested in.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 10:58 am

Yup, when I got out and saw the rotor I was shocked. All 5 lugs were shorn off. These rotors have the lugs pressed in them when they are purchased so the replacement had the lugs in it.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 11:01 am

As soon as we can do this I'm ready, I hate looking at the ripped up fender

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 11:18 am

First off, Congratulations on the nats award!
Bummer about the accident. I have never seen that happen before. Glad you are okay and only minor damage to the van. And it looks like she will be all fixed up before ya know it. chevy
Posted by: Goose111

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 12:30 pm

Astro, it was a huge pothole that I hit at around 70mph on I95.

I had a similar bad experience with an rented RV in 2006. I pulled behind my friend into an small truckstop and didn't saw the big hole in the road. I pushed a little bit to get the street cleared for the traffic, and Bum, I hit with the left rear wheels the hole. The rig moved down and touched the ground just at the corner of the hole, which caused a little dent to the sidewall of the RV. I was lucky, that the mechanic at El Monte calculated the repair-cost at 50 $.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 1:03 pm

Those potholes suck Goose, btw, love that van of yours. Always wanted to find one in good shape but whenever I do they are too pricey for me right now.

Thanks Galaxy! it was nice to win especially among such a nice group of vans.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 1:17 pm

Yep, they are pricey over here, too.

Most of the Panelvanagons are worn out, because they where used as workhorse. At that time, as I bought my first Multivan (similar to the weekender in the US) it was really uncommon for private persons to drive such a car. Nothing to compare with the US. Old micro-bus and bus where used as camper (mostly by Hippies), but the Vanagon was to new at that time. And first in 1985, they introduced the Multivan, which was a little bit more than the normal person carrying vanagons, which mostly where used by hotels and so.

My luck with the Highway-Bully was, that the first german owner was a fan of the Truck-scene over here and had an aircooled bus before. He bought the Highway from Belgium back (it was only one year old), repainted it and used it from 1989 until around 2000 only for the truck-shows. Than another owner used it as cargo-van, until I was able to get the Highway in 2003. And with a price of 3,800 € is was pricey for a panel-van, but the overall condition was really good (only minor rust, airbrush on both sides, custom-fit driver compartment and an rebuild engine with low miles on it), so I'm still thinking it was a good deal.

I'm trying to bring it appearance back to the time of the first german owner, and a new silly idea is to make a trip through the US in 2012. But that's pricey, shipping to the US and back will be around 4,000 € plus all the money for driving from Los Angeles via Chiloquin, OR to the 40th nats and than further to the harbour at the east-coast for shipping back-

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 6:09 pm

no prob brian, ill check out my schedule and we'll find a time to get at it.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - July 21st 2011 11:39 pm

not to bad glad nothin worse happin..van did look sweet in person!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 22nd 2011 2:53 pm

So, ever since the Nats I had a very bad rattle at idle. Finally figured out that it wasn't a heat shield, or a/c fan, or anything like that but actually the power steering pump. So, went ahead and replaced all of it and did a little painting to clean it up. It's the first pretty parts in the engine bay. It has begun!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 22nd 2011 9:14 pm

nice!...and now that uve started im sure ur thinking of alotta diff ideas and what things to paint lol....have fun! smile

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 22nd 2011 10:39 pm

Looks great.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 23rd 2011 11:46 am

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. grin
I'm sure it is just a coincidence, but you picked almost the same color for under the hood that I did. I chose the blue because it matches my pinstripe. I'm guessing it is also close to the blue color on your van.
BTW glad ya got the pump figured out!

Your van:

My van:

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 23rd 2011 3:26 pm

laugh I didn't realize the color was so close. I noticed it when I was checking one of your posts and kinda laughed to myself. Yeah, it is real close to my vans blue so I picked it. I'll be mixing in some red here and there but mainly blue and chrome.
Consider it a compliment. grin

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 23rd 2011 9:08 pm

Nice!
...great minds think alike,
And just wait till ya get the mirrors installed. grin

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 23rd 2011 9:23 pm

hey brian! Sorry i havent gotten back to you. lifes been busy as S*^T lately. Im free and off work this weekend. Got any plans? we could get together and take a look at that flare/bbq if you wanna?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 23rd 2011 9:35 pm

I just happen to be off this Sat. and Sun. Pool is nice and warm. If you want to come over for some BBQ and hang out by the pool we could do a little fiber glassing as well. I have all the stuff we'll need. I just don't have the paint, but I'm working on that. Not a big deal anyway, I can always paint it later. Let me know, bring the family.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - August 23rd 2011 9:47 pm

sounds like a plan! Ill check with the boss

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 07th 2011 4:13 pm

Last week I went and fixed the fender. I mentioned the mishap earlier in the post. Wanted to get it done before going to West Virginia.

Here is the before and after pics.

Not finished but good for now.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 07th 2011 4:22 pm

Dang! Matched up the paint pretty good. Nice work.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 07th 2011 6:32 pm

Looks good from the pics ! smile

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 07th 2011 11:46 pm

nice work, lookin good

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 08th 2011 11:36 am

Missed the mishap thread somehow? Looks great to me! Did you repair the flair or replace it?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 08th 2011 12:41 pm

I repaired the flair, it's not perfect but I needed it done for the trip to West Virginia and then GSVR. After GSVR I plan on pulling the running boards off both sides, repair any bad spots and repaint everything. There are paint chips all over and the black rubber footing strip needs some attention too.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 08th 2011 12:45 pm

After GSVR I plan on pulling the running boards off both sides, repair any bad spots and repaint everything. There are paint chips all over and the black rubber footing strip needs some attention too.

And that' the difference between a really Vanner and a Van driver.

A lot of Vans, I see on meetings over here, have this chips and sratches on the running-boards, but they owner doesn't care about it. He only drives a Van, but's not a really Vanner.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 08th 2011 12:54 pm

Well, then, for repairing the flair you did an AWESOME job!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 09th 2011 10:35 pm

Wow! Looks great Brian. I feel bad that i havent been able to get out there to help you. As of currently the top end of my motor is at the machine shop....Hoping to get it back together in time for gsvr.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 10th 2011 10:53 am

Holy cow, thats a big job. Hope you get it all back together. I'm still fighting with this rattle I have and can't figure it out. Really annoying. I want to get the running boards completely done but no time right now. Hope to get the rattle taken care of by GSVR.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - September 10th 2011 11:04 am

Nice job on the repair! chevy

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 24th 2011 7:36 pm

Been a while since an update. Just got some new meats for the van. Getting rid of my current set of rims and going back to a proper set of nice and thick muscle style rims. Will post a pic once they are on the van but had to at least show them off.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 24th 2011 9:40 pm

i like the new ones your gonna put on better!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 24th 2011 9:44 pm

Lookin Good!!!! Whatcha doin with the 20's? ;)

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 24th 2011 10:12 pm

Man i like those! Gona look sweet!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 24th 2011 11:58 pm

Lookin Good!!!! Whatcha doin with the 20's? ;)

Going to sell them on Craigs list most likely.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 12:00 am

Originally Posted By: 86ed
i like the new ones your gonna put on better!

So do I. Can't put them on till Wed. when I get home from work though.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 12:02 am

Originally Posted By: riverratcustomz
Man i like those! Gona look sweet!

Couldn't decide between the turbine rims and these but the deal was too good to pass up so it made my mind up for me. cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 12:39 am

Hey thats cool man. I wouldve went with those to. I love fats and skinnies. If you decide you dont like em let me know

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 8:47 am

Been a while since an update. Just got some new meats for the van. Getting rid of my current set of rims and going back to a proper set of nice and thick muscle style rims. Will post a pic once they are on the van but had to at least show them off.

NOW YOUR TALKIN BROTHER...NICE CHOICE ! cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 10:46 am

I most certainly agree. That wheel setup will look great on your van. Looking forward to the pics!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 1:25 pm

what kind of tires are you running on it? its going to ride so much better with a little sidewall to them.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 4:45 pm

Oh hell yeah it will. I'm going back to 15's partially because of that chance I could loose another tire if I hit a pothole like I did coming home from the nats. These are 235's up front and 295's in the rear on 10" rims. I think the sidewalls are either 50 or 55. Definitely more than what's on the front of my van now, and my rear tires won't rub either, the current ones do. Can't wait to get home tomorrow so I can put them on.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 25th 2011 4:49 pm

Cool, post some pics

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 12:16 pm

Alright, here they are. yay Put them on as soon as I got home. yay

yay yay
Posted by: MACE

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 12:19 pm

Wow.
looks wayyyyy better!!!!
hot rod style.
sweet!!!!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 12:25 pm

I think I like the big rims better. Sorry frown

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 12:44 pm

Looks nice. Fills out the flares nice. I think some sporty white letter tires would look good

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 12:44 pm

Awesome yay

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 12:47 pm

Yep, I also like this wheels much more than the bigger.

I don't like the big wheels with the really thin tires, and I always fear damage to the wheel.

So, I also keep the 7x15 aluminum wheels on the Highway-Bully with the 215/65 and 235/60 tires.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 1:45 pm

I agree that it definitely needs some white letters now, but it looks TOUGH now!! bet it rides a whole lot better!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 2:36 pm

It does. Believe it or not but the white letters are on the back. The guy had them mounted backwards in my opinion. I still want to lower my front end a half inch to and inch. I think it would look real good.

Hey Superbeast, I liked the larger rims too but besides the look, I had issues with rubbing and potholes, lol. So I went back to smaller rims.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 3:43 pm

I had the 295/50 on the back and then put 275/65's on and looks better to me. Lil taller and seems to fill the wheel out better. Gives it that fat lookin sidewall.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 4:50 pm

These have a 60 sidewall front and rear, since the front rim is also 10" I guess the 235's sidewalls bow out a bit and cause the tires to look smaller up front.
Posted by: chevyvan93

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 5:12 pm

Looking great, i never have been into the big wheels on anything, but ive always loved your van so it didnt matter

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 5:21 pm

thx cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 5:33 pm

Those wheels must be pretty new. They still have a real nice finish.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 5:45 pm

They're not perfect, some scratches and abrasions but nothing big. Can't see them unless your trying to. They still have a sweet shine to them. Couldn't beat $250 for the set, rims and tires.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 5:48 pm

Hell yeah. Its hard to find nice wheels with out tires for that

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 6:04 pm

Are they spun or billet?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 6:06 pm

I think billet, but what's the difference and how can you tell which one it is?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 6:18 pm

spun rims start with a flat alum sheet & spun to a template....billet starts with a block of alum and turned...then there always are cast they are poured....you generally tell by touching the inside and outside to see how thick they are....spun will be smooth on both sides but thin...billet will be smooth on both sides, quite thick in some spots...cast smooth on 1 side course on the inside & thin...then there are always forged rims

this is a billet rim...must be a 1/2" thick...turned and slots milled

This is a cast rim...tough but not as thick as the billet..

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 6:38 pm

yeah, they must be billet. Very thick, 1/2" sounds about right.
Learned something new today!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 8:39 pm

On second thought,they dont look rite on there. Just take em off and ill come get them out of your way.lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 26th 2011 9:26 pm

Looks great....

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 1:25 pm

I hear ya buddy! No worries, it's your van grin It looks good with the new one too!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 1:37 pm

It deff fills the van out better. I want them for mine. Ive been thinkin about goin with tens all around.i think it looks better on long vans

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 2:02 pm

vans lookin real nice now...smile

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 2:05 pm

Have to say I like this wheel style better then the donks.
Looks great Brian! But I to think it would look better with the white letters facing out.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 2:09 pm

Yeah, looks much better than before. For me, that's the size of wheels for a G-body, not that big wheels like the today's youth put on their cars.

Congratulation to you new wheels.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 2:48 pm

Definitly cant beat the price. I picked up my rims for $50 bucks, but had to buy tires. Next stop is the 2 fronts for me, 245/60's is what im thinkin.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 2:50 pm

most tires those size have the white letters on one side and black on the other, you could always take them to a tire shop and have them turned around and re-balanced.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 27th 2011 9:56 pm

Yeah, I really want the white lettering out. Just don't think it is important enough to spend the $$$ on. When I get a new set they will definitely be mounted right.
Posted by: newkirkinc1

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 28th 2011 6:16 am

I like the letters on the outside better.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 28th 2011 11:09 am

IMO letters on the out side look good if it is a top brand tire.Good years BF Good Rich.Sorry I would not run Futura's with the white letters out.....
The only problem with running a 10 inch rim on the front is the extra weight of the tire along with the extra over hang from the off set can lead to premature front end part wear.

I do like that look better......

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 9:24 am

Didn't realize that, but the rims on there now weigh a lot less than the chrome rims. I couldn't believe the difference. So that's better. These are BF Goodrich's. If I decide to flip them I have to make sure the white would come clean anyway. From what I can tell the white is a bit worn off. So we will see. Definitely happy with the change.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 9:33 am

i like good year eagle gt 2's for my white letter look..smile

but for front end wear thats true, its a good thing you took off the 20s dont get me wrong they look sweet but those would wear that front end out real fast.. 15x10 in front not as fast but quicker than normal..

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 10:15 am

To each is own but I like the white letters in, and jet black tires....out they look like whitewalls when going down the road IMO....plus they take away from the look of the custom wheel...IMO ..did I mention IMO.... smile

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 11:48 am

and if you go to a tire shop to have them rotated, make sure the people know what there doing , lol long time ago a buddy of mine had a short bed pickup with tens on the back and eights on the front , a tire shop rotated them and put the tens on the front and the eights on the back lol we wondered why everyone was giving us funny looks lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 12:50 pm

lol

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 1:28 pm

The white letters should come clean. I use a stiff briste brush and dip it in wet dirt to scrub tires. Out of all the cleaners dirt works best on a tire.lol go figure.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 2:40 pm

COMET and a scrub brush will get even the worse white letters clean.....
The white letters will NOT wear off they are built right into the side wall of the tire.Constant curb scrubbing can turn the white letters onto a jagged white wall.
The actual weight is not the issue.Think of the deep dish wheel like a pry bar.The farther the wheel hangs out from the center of the spindle the more leverage the weight of the tire wheel combo has..

DIRT....really......
Sorry I will put my comet up against your dirt any day....LOL

Rotation.....,If you took a truck to a tire store that was that freaking stupid. I really hope you did not return........
But then I have seen some so called "PRO's" do some pretty dumb things .......

......Wookee

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 29th 2011 4:07 pm

Ok. I win. My dirt is free. Try it!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 30th 2011 5:07 pm

Sorry I am really not that cheap.You can get a can of Comet for a buck.....
It has allot of uses....
Let me see you use dirt on oxidised paint and make it shine again......

......Wookee

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 30th 2011 5:17 pm

i didnt say anything about cleaning paint.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 30th 2011 7:58 pm

lol it does work though..lol sometimes...
Posted by: VanPLan

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 30th 2011 10:53 pm

Originally Posted By: wookee
It has allot of uses....
Let me see you use dirt on oxidized paint and make it shine again......

......Wookee

and then there is "Bar Keepers Friend" (let's see who runs with that). It can be found next to the comet for .89 cents. Try that on your whites, rusty chrome, oxidized paint,acid rain and even windows. Works like a window wax on them.

cheers
coffee

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 31st 2011 1:41 pm

never heard of that stuff. I'll check it out.
Posted by: Keep_On_Truckin_WNY

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 31st 2011 1:44 pm

i'll second that 'bar keeper's friend' - it's great for removing surface rust on anything chrome, and it will shine aluminum - it's just like comet, except white - the only thing i don't like about comet is that it's green, and sometimes leaves a green film or tint...
Posted by: heavy389

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 31st 2011 8:06 pm

Originally Posted By: FrictionAffect
It has allot of uses....
Let me see you use dirt on oxidized paint and make it shine again......

......Wookee

and then there is "Bar Keepers Friend" (let's see who runs with that). It can be found next to the comet for .89 cents. Try that on your whites, rusty chrome, oxidized paint,acid rain and even windows. Works like a window wax on them.

cheers
coffee

yeah haha shift

Re: update on my 87 g20 - October 31st 2011 8:49 pm

Hey River, as much as I like you I think I'm passing on the dirt thing. If I see you at vanner for vanners then maybe you can show me that technique, (on your van of course lol )
Posted by: heavy389

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 01st 2011 9:33 am

Hey River, as much as I like you I think I'm passing on the dirt thing. If I see you at vanner for vanners then maybe you can show me that technique, (on your van of course lol )

lmao yeah rofl

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 01st 2011 2:05 pm

bleche white does my white letters just fine. And Wookee, whats wrong with Futura's? Thats what i got on my van and i definitely run the white letters out. Keep em clean and who knows the difference on the highway?

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 01st 2011 4:57 pm

"Bar Keepers Friend"....I like the sound of that... cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 01st 2011 10:45 pm

bleche white does my white letters just fine. And Wookee, whats wrong with Futura's? Thats what i got on my van and i definitely run the white letters out. Keep em clean and who knows the difference on the highway?

That's what I currently use. I love that stuff.

"Great Minds" cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 02nd 2011 10:50 am

bleche white is the sheezz1

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 02nd 2011 5:13 pm

So far nothing really wrong with Futuras.I am currently running a set on the back of my Early.
It looks like I will be going with all four on the Van because I broke a cord on on of the front BFG's.

I have always been a big B.F, Goodrich fan.
unfortunately they have discontinued the sizes I want so i had to change brands......
Sorry Futrura does not even sound cool.......
So in they go!!!!!!....

......Wookee

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 02nd 2011 5:27 pm

lol BF Goodrich does sound cooler.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 03rd 2011 6:27 am

I have always been a big B.F, Goodrich fan.
unfortunately they have discontinued the sizes I want so i had to change brands......
Wookee

Me too. I had BF Goodrich on my first Vanagon since 1991, and a couple of years had to find out, that the discontinued the first size, I had on my vanagon. The Comp T/A was a really good tire, and the Radial T/A wasn't also too bad.

So, I had to switch and now I'm running on Cooper Cobra like many US Vans over here in Germany.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 03rd 2011 6:35 am

I always ran BF Goodrich
But now they are junk so I'm now running Remmington on my Ford

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 03rd 2011 6:39 am

I have Futura's on my Dodge and they look Great and ride Great
Stay away from BFG They are TRASH

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 04th 2011 12:32 pm

uh oh, I'm sporting bf goodrich tires.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 04th 2011 12:45 pm

The side walls blow out

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 04th 2011 2:01 pm

Bfg's street tires maybe blow out but not the offroad tires...Ive beat the crap out of Bfg's & they take a good lickin..9 ply on the face and 3 ply on the side walls...I always run bfg's if they are good enough for the BAJA its good enough for me....if you run any tire low on air they all will blow out the side wall...Ive never had a problem with them

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 04th 2011 2:02 pm

i never liked the bfg's either, they have a smaller letter, small stuff i know... And every set ive had wear out very quickly. I like the cooper cobra's, but the futura's are so far a great tire for the price. 82 bucks a piece for 275/60's

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 04th 2011 11:07 pm

I never had any problems with the bfg 275/60 15's i had on a chevy pickup

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 05th 2011 8:41 pm

Originally Posted By: GhostRyder
I never had any problems with the bfg 275/60 15's i had on a chevy pickup

I'm not worried. With the number of BF Goodrich tires out there and the fact that I've never seen or heard of one failing seems to me that it is highly unlikely. As long as they are holding air I'm quite happy. cheers

Re: update on my 87 g20 - November 08th 2011 10:05 am

I have a set here that are now on there 4th vehicle.
this set are the same size so I can rotate them.regularly.
I have always had good luck with them.
Just like every thing else different people like different things.
It has also been close to 7 years since I have had to buy any new tires....

......Wookee

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 29th 2011 10:40 pm

Well,finally checking in after a busy few weeks. Made a change or two, more for function since my doors were stuck. The wood I put in originally was a bit thick. Found some real thin wood and stained/sealed it. Not sure where I'm going with it so it's all up in the air. May do more wood or go back with white. For now it's all about the doors working correctly since it's my daily driver. Not because it has to be but because I just love driving it.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 30th 2011 12:06 am

looks good! I was wondering where you been. Good to have ya back. The wood looks good.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 30th 2011 7:47 am

Looks nice, and I understand the problem.
On my previous daily driver, their was a little bit (big hole) corrosion on the passenger side in the step, and to make it cheaper, the corrosion was cut out and the replacement part (which didn't fit very well) was welder in.
The rubber from the door was so tight, that the paint was worked away and it start corroding again, this time the new part.

For the Hihgway, I have antislip aluminum parts with some red led's mounted in. I only need to find the time to remove the rubber-pad, make some corrosion-prevention and install the aluminum parts.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - December 31st 2011 12:00 am

Looks great.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - February 23rd 2012 10:15 am

Been status quo for 2012, but this has to be a favorite mod/change in a while. smile

Posted by: MrHoney

Re: update on my 87 g20 - February 23rd 2012 10:31 am

I'm kinda lucky my van came with these rubber matts in all the sills
Posted by: vanatic05

Re: update on my 87 g20 - February 23rd 2012 10:45 am

Looks great Brian...

Re: update on my 87 g20 - February 23rd 2012 3:17 pm

Oh, I like the rubber mats. If I find a set for a Chevy I just might pick it up.
Posted by: al55

Re: update on my 87 g20 - February 23rd 2012 3:26 pm

I do like those mats Mr Honey a Dodge set would look good on my van. yay
Posted by: al55

Re: update on my 87 g20 - February 23rd 2012 3:34 pm

Bruiserman I forgot to mention your New York Giants plate "TO THE VICTOR GOES THE SPOILS". bow

Re: update on my 87 g20 - March 02nd 2012 3:51 pm

nice plate brian! Hope to see you this summer at a run!

Re: update on my 87 g20 - March 17th 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah, man, hope I can make one or two. Depends on $$ and how pricey gas gets.

Re: update on my 87 g20 - March 17th 2012 11:37 pm

hope so too brother, im almost done with the 360 swap in mine so ill be makin noise soon!
Posted by: newkirkinc1

Re: update on my 87 g20 - March 18th 2012 7:31 am

Love the new look brian.