Vannin' Home
Posted By: James_Black 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:47 pm
This thread will be a visual and written log of my progress with my van. Im sharing this thread with another Forum also. Me and the wife wants to share our progress. Hopefully this can help others and or you guys can give us constructive observation and ideas.

DAY 1.
Photo add on Craiglist. I showed the add and the pic to my wife and we got the bug!! LOL laugh
[Linked Image]

Day 2
We purchased the vehicle. Before we left we did some things.
-Put 4 new tires.
-New wipers
-New battery
-Change of oil
We drove it home and we started the restoring process.
[color:"#8B0000"]Starting photo diary[/color].

1. INTERIOR (before)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

2. INTERIOR (after)
[Linked Image]
[size=4][color="#A0522D"]
WIFE taking care of buSiness
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:52 pm
Day 2 continue

3. ENGINE

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

4. EXTERIOR

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:54 pm
Day 3

We have replaced the front brakes pads.. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

..and change the starter... smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and change the driver side brake light lens and housing.... smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

...and my cool wife B) changed the air filter and painted the cover (FORD BLUE)...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:55 pm
Day 3 continue
Cleaning and scrubbing 35yrs worth of gunk!!!

Your humble friend
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It was a beautiful day to clean and work in our van today. Sunny but not hot. Windy but mild and fresh. Great day. I have discovered that my engine is a 351w and all this time I thought it was a 305. smile
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:57 pm
Day 4

Added a spare tire carrier.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Change side mirrors
Used to have this nasty ones.
[Linked Image]
and now..... oh yessss!! laugh
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Replace the horn
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Replace radiator cap
[Linked Image]

Replace windshield fluid motor.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:58 pm
DAY 5

Fuel pump:
I replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

It took me 8rs and a lot of trips to the store and I didnt accomplish nothing. My friend Rich came over and had it done in 20 minutes. Aint that some $hit!! :angry:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
NEW PUMP!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We change the mufflers
They are less noisy.
[color:"#8B0000"]before[/color]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[color:"#8B0000"]after[/color]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 4:59 pm
Looking good
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 5:01 pm
DAY 6

Today we did the following.........

Check the Drum Brake to see if they need it to be replaced....They looked good. ;)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We also change the valve cover gasket and paint it.....
Before. frown
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

AFter B)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This here are the specs on ones side of the valve covers. We had to scrape it so we can paint.
[Linked Image]

We changed the steering wheel, painted it and hook up the horn.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.We fixed the driver side door control. It broke on me when I went to put it together. I was able to find the part on Ebay. Thanks EBAY!.
.We also fixed out windshield wiper (passenger side). There was no fluid coming from that side. We took it all apart and cleaned it and now its all flowing. YESSSSSSSSSS!!! :P
Posted By: vanatic05 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 5:24 pm
Originally Posted by James_Black
DAY 5

Fuel pump:
I replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter.

It took me 8rs and a lot of trips to the store and I didnt accomplish nothing. My friend Rich came over and had it done in 20 minutes. Aint that some $hit!! :angry:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
NEW PUMP!!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[

You may want to change rubber fuel lines..they look pretty cracked..
Posted By: LostSheep Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 5:31 pm
Ewe'r doing a fine job. Those before interior shots looked like the PO kept his pet puma in there...... smile
Posted By: relaxedvanner Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 5:43 pm
Good looking van. I like the graphics and the paint.
Posted By: NateB Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 6:49 pm
Great job so far!
Posted By: vanman2 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 8:18 pm
welcome TO THE FORUMS , SWEET VAN MAN , GOOD LUCK WITH IT & THANKS FOR SHARING cheers van
Posted By: vanman2 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 8:21 pm
Hey Nate is that 67 A100 an old phone company van ?? that was my first van when i went to work for Ma Bell a long time ago ~~ i also had a 69 i did over back in the day ~~ and i own a 1987 Dodge B150 old Bellsouth van smile
Posted By: Maxx_Wilde Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 9:41 pm
Wow! I'm blown away by the ammount of work you two have got done! I'm slacking!
BTW, I have that same green shag strip of carpet running front to back in my '77. It's a real dust magnet LOL

M
Posted By: Reed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 03rd 2010 10:28 pm
Good looking van! Nice work so far. And, dude, your wife is a keeper. Any lady that will climb into a scuzzy van and help you clean it is definitely a good one.
Posted By: Sweet_Spot Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 04th 2010 12:22 am
WOW, your really ambitious! I agree with Reed, any woman who will dive into projects of that caliber is a keeper. That's a " shorty " right? I love
"shortys", since I have one myself, not as old but the body style is similar. Keep us posted on your progress, I bet it comes out just the way you expect it to.
Good Luck, and have fun.
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 04th 2010 12:41 am
Originally Posted by Reed
Good looking van! Nice work so far. And, dude, your wife is a keeper. Any lady that will climb into a scuzzy van and help you clean it is definitely a good one.

......... yeah.....very cool !..... cheers
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 04th 2010 2:47 am
Having a wife that enjoys helping with a project is a HUGE plus......
Good work so far keep it up.

......Wookee
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 04th 2010 5:51 am
DAY 7

.We replace the steering wheel back to the original. I felt I was racing Indy 500 with the steering wheel I picked. Not only that, you have to have both of your hands on the wheel to drive..........Im a one hander. So, back to factory until I find a better original steering wheel.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.We are trying to make the van as quiet as possible. I thought there were gaskets here......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
But I learn they are not.

.We added 3 DOME LIGHTS!!! We also order the LED lights for this lights and the instrument panel.
I want my panel to look like this.......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

.We started cleaning the differential. We noticed some wet oil residue, so we want to check.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][/b]
This is only using Simple Green and a hose. No scrubbing yet.
Posted By: Cstyl Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 04th 2010 6:31 am
kool project and nice progress pics
Posted By: vanman2 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 04th 2010 5:02 pm
yeah man you are going to town on your van ~~~ very cool that you and your wife are doing this together ~~ very impressive on what you have done so far ~~ cool project enjoy & again thanks for sharing yay cheers
Posted By: NateB Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 05th 2010 3:46 am
Originally Posted by vanman2
Hey Nate is that 67 A100 an old phone company van ?? that was my first van when i went to work for Ma Bell a long time ago ~~ i also had a 69 i did over back in the day ~~ and i own a 1987 Dodge B150 old Bellsouth van smile

It sure is! Virginia Bell...bought it out of Alexandria.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 06th 2010 3:21 am
Day 8

Yesterday the wife and I dedicate some time to beautify some parts of our van. For example......

I took all the front panels out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Clean the dust and dirt from all the wires and frame.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Also took out the dog house and wood tray.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And we painted, painted, painted.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is how it looks like now, painted in black and we placed a dash cover.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We used Kylon for the paint. No sanding or primer other than in the wood tray.
Word of advise. Let the paint cure more than 30 minutes.
I went to reassemble and had to touch up. If it wasnt because we use the van on a daily basis, I will let it cured overnight.
Posted By: 86ed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 06th 2010 3:26 am
nice job, the fresh paint looks great. love all the pics
Posted By: VanVida_Israel Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 06th 2010 5:21 am
Good job...looks like you' have got the bug & nothing wrong with that.
Posted By: vanman2 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 06th 2010 2:34 pm
yeah sweet nice job & again thanks for sharing cheers van
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 06th 2010 6:23 pm
nice project! way to hit the ground runnin with it!
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 06th 2010 7:26 pm
I guess you did not like that kinds hard to find factory original door panel the wife was sanding parts on....

Nice work so far......

.......Wookee
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 07th 2010 2:56 am
Originally Posted by wookee
I guess you did not like that kinds hard to find factory original door panel the wife was sanding parts on....

Nice work so far......

.......Wookee

Any value on them? The other is still installed. I had to take the other one out to fix the handles and the door control. Its only spray painted on the back. Everything else is good.
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 07th 2010 1:03 pm
Maybe to a Ford van owner......

.....Wookee
Posted By: Superbeast Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 07th 2010 5:10 pm
Nice job so far. I had to cringe too, but about painting the dash pieces. I'd bet someone would have loved to swapped you a set of Factory Black ones, for the Wood grained ones. Oh, well. Nice job anyway.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 07th 2010 10:26 pm
Sweet job so far, busy busy busy huh? Also, I will second, or third, YOU BETTER KEEP THAT WIFE ! If she is willing to help with all that, she's a KEEPER!
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 07th 2010 11:11 pm

Yes sir. Very busy. We are very involved with this van. It is bringing great happiness to our lives.

NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

. We tested the heater...AND IT WORKS smile We are ready for winter!

.We just dropped the van at the Body Shop. They are gonna take care of all the rust, prime and welding. After that.........flat midnight blue.
So, no updates for the next couple of weeks. After the body shop we are going to change the carburator and change the gasket to the intake manifold.

The wife is very flattered by Thy comments. She wants me to remind you that she is the Producer of this movie. Im just the director. lol
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 08th 2010 1:15 am
flat midnight blue.. hm, im interested to see that.
Posted By: NateB Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 08th 2010 10:12 am
flat blue would look stellar! As a matter of fact, a friend of mine and I were talking about painting his chopped van a flat blue of some sort.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 10th 2010 4:25 am
I just received my...
_ driver and passenger door weatherstrips.
_ blue led light bulbs for the instrument panel and 3 1157 led bulbs for my dome lights.
_ window seals will be here next week.

We just...
_ order remanufacture carburator.
_ bought intake manifold gaskets.

OHHHH... We are happy with everything that is going on. smile smile smile
Posted By: VanVida_Israel Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 10th 2010 6:35 am
See...vans do bring people happiness...
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 17th 2010 11:31 pm
Went to the Auto Shop today. This are some pics of the progress.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 18th 2010 2:32 am
makin some good progress! they gonna pull the glass and stuff before they paint it?
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 18th 2010 2:29 pm
I know you really like black.
If you set down with a can of "Mothers" and rub on those aluminum slots they look like they will shine up really nice.....

.....Wookee
Posted By: Charley Olenak Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 18th 2010 4:43 pm
That a great job you are doing ,and i like the pic , if only I could post pic. I have 3 camera's and a new spell check. may be things ae looking up ,
PS i had a 78 ford E150 that 351 like gas ,put headers and it well help , again nice work
Charley (excalibur)
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 18th 2010 8:38 pm
Thanks guys. Cant wait to have it back at home so i can continue working on her.

Charley...Any recommendations on the header??

Im buying a EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 600 CFM Carb to my engine. I was gonna buy a remanufacture factory replacement. But I have a couple of people telling me that this specific carb will is more gas efficient. The difference is around $100. Please let me know. Im new at this. Thanks
Posted By: c1run1 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 18th 2010 10:03 pm
Looking good guys !! keep at it , she looks like a pretty solid van .
Posted By: Knightjp Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 20th 2010 11:49 am
Looks neat.. .
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 20th 2010 4:48 pm
Guys..

This is exactly how our van is gonna look like. This guys just stole our idea. lol.
Black wheels. Flat pacific blue color. Louvers. Bull guard. etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcv7bgd5Fc&feature=related
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 20th 2010 8:00 pm
that van in the video isnt flat though. Its glossy. Is your going to be a satin finish?
Posted By: Mike_Desert Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 21st 2010 10:48 pm
Looking very nice!

I need to change my valve cover gaskets. Never done it before. Anything I should know? I'm sorta paranoid I'm gonna drop a chunk of the old gaskets down into somewhere bad...
Posted By: josh_performanceinc Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - September 22nd 2010 8:12 pm
Originally Posted by Mike_Desert
Looking very nice!

I need to change my valve cover gaskets. Never done it before. Anything I should know? I'm sorta paranoid I'm gonna drop a chunk of the old gaskets down into somewhere bad...

Stuff rags in any holes and cover over anyplace you don't want bits to go before you start.

Unbolt and pry them covers off carefully.

Stuff MORE rags in the oil return holes inside the heads (and cover the rockers and springs if you like).

Scrape away without any worries! cool

Keep up the good work!
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 05th 2010 5:38 am
>>>>>>>>ALRIGHT>>>>>>>>>>>
THE VAN IS BACK!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I will prime the rest of the van with can spray primer.
They also welded the front passenger floor. Now I saw he welded a plate in there and then he place this thick piece of rubber square. I dont know, it looks tacky. He did the same in the back on the driver side fender.

inside
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The black substance is bedliner. He filed the inside rust and bedlined it so its protected.

Today also we.......
The wife started scrubbing and grinding rust to the bare metal. Then she applied Rust Oleum Rust Reformer.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We are happy the van has new fenders and new metal plates where rust used to be. We are happy that she is back with us. We were not expecting a $3000 dollar job for $1000. Wife and I are gonna continue, with the best of our knowledge, to beautify our van the best way possible.
This is what happens when you dont know. Next time we will learn and do it ourself. We want that satisfaction. smile We are embrassing this experience to the full.
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 05th 2010 12:44 pm
looking good! doing is learning! keep up the good work. Don't get discouraged. People on the forum here just want what is best for you and your van because they have done the same things. Don't take it as nitpicking. I don't know where you are from regionally but you should put a truck-in closest to you on your calendar for next year and come out and meet some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. we're not hot rodders. we're vanners and it's a whole other breed. you'll see lot's of vans in the process of rust repair. some still in the process of rusting and some finished. it takes all kinds.

Keep on truckin! it's lookin good.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 05th 2010 2:12 pm
a little hint to make your life easier and to make the paint job look as good as it can. Take the mirrors, door handles, lights, grille etc off the van before you paint it. It will make a world of difference in the finished product.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 4:03 am
Today's events..............

Today we decided to change the carburator and place new intake manifold gaskets
CARB (Before) frown
[Linked Image]

AFTER smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Did some scrubbing and air drying
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I decided to give her some protection. I used Rustoleum Rust Remover
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Same with the thermostat housing.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then...........Ford Navy Blue
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We also sandblasted all the screws that goes into the intake.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We also changed the Thermostat, rotor and cap.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 4:07 am
And now this is how baby looks like...........
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope you enjoy!!! laugh
Posted By: VanVida_Israel Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 5:02 am
Good job...makes that engine look much much better.
Posted By: Reed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 5:19 am
Looking good!
Posted By: maples01 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 5:29 am
Looks good, but one of those is Chevy/GM blue, the Ford blue has always been dark.
I painted the Modified in my 78 F-150 bright yellow with flat black tins, really stood out. LoL
Posted By: maples01 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 5:30 am
Oh I forgot to mention, the rust converter I had warned about using on parks that are exposed to heat, so be careful.
Posted By: LostSheep Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 3:35 pm
Lottsa work, but well worth it. Lookin' good! cheers
Posted By: Squared Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 7:23 pm
Nice work. Gives me inspiration. Now if only I could get my wife to sand the rust.
Posted By: BigTex Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 7:25 pm
I have always wondered Why would anyone paint and detail the engine in a van??? I know on mine when you open the hood, the only thing you see is the top of the engine and all the plastic shrouding. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, but how can you see it or show it off?
Posted By: Lil_Ed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 7:29 pm
In 1975 there isnt any plastic around the motor
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 8:10 pm
If I was going to go thru all that work I would have put an aluminum intake on her for better mileage and performance...but looks good !... beer
Posted By: vanman2 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 8:24 pm
yay you & the wife are doing a great job on your van , you 2 are a good team grin thanks again for sharing and you should be proud cheers van the only way to roll :
Posted By: Reed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 11:44 pm
A plexiglass doghouse shows the engine of nicely.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 08th 2010 11:56 pm
looks great..! im going to detail the motor in the Astro even though you can only see 1/3 of it. Cant wait to see this thing finished.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 11th 2010 3:08 am
Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Yeap, lots of work and we are not done.

To highwaystar... I will eventually change it to aluminum. Right now I just want her to be in working condition. I will get it done, promise.

To BIg Tex...The only plastic I have seen in my baby is the fan cover, coolant and windshield fluid tanks. Everything else is metal or rubber. The only reason Im cleaning and painting her up it so she looks nice and clean. I like they way she looks. Since we are keeping the van we want everything as new as possible. We like evertything we are doing to her. smile

The wife loves getting her hands dirty with this. She is into the astetic part of the van. Im more into the mechanical. Tomorrow, weather permitting, we are gonna finish priming the van, pick the color for it, look for some bedliner product. We decided to go with Grizzly Grip. They have a bigger variety of colors. We want the interior floor and wall in grey.

Posted By: HighwayStar Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 11th 2010 12:38 pm
Its all good James ....Besides you've done more work to your van in an hour than I have done to mine in the last month.... rofl ......Enjoy watching your progress... cheers
Posted By: relaxedvanner Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 11th 2010 4:57 pm
The van is looking great. You two should be proud of the nice job you're doing.
Posted By: NateB Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 11th 2010 8:56 pm
Besides if you detail the engine up nice, you can always pull the doghouse off at shows to show it off.
Posted By: Reed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 12th 2010 4:24 am
Originally Posted by Natetheskate
Besides if you detail the engine up nice, you can always pull the doghouse off at shows to show it off.

Or attach a grill to the exhaust manifolds and cook your dinner as you drive to the next eVant with the doghouse off!

http://www.amazon.com/Manifold-Destiny-Guide-Cooking-Engine/dp/0375751408
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 12th 2010 1:31 pm
Nice job paying attention to details.
the good thing is even if nobody else does see what you did. YOU know it's there and when you go back in looking for problems (leaks,ect,ect,)they will be easier to spot.

Keep up the great work.......

........Wookee
Posted By: Superbeast Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 12th 2010 3:43 pm
Looks great! The only issue that I see is that you didn't use any sealer on the cork end gaskets on the intake. They have a tendency to push out and leak. Hope yours don't tho.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 13th 2010 2:24 am
Nice job paying attention to details.
the good thing is even if nobody elde does see what you did YOUknow it's there and when you go back in looking for problems (leaks,ect,ect,)they will be easier to spot.

Keep up the great work.......

........Wookee

Yes sir. One of many reason I decided to clean it up and painted.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 13th 2010 2:30 am
Originally Posted by Superbeast
Looks great! The only issue that I see is that you didn't use any sealer on the cork end gaskets on the intake. They have a tendency to push out and leak. Hope yours don't tho.

I actually did brother. I dabbed the crap of the corners. Cant see it from the pics but I guarantee you I did. That is something my mentor highlighted before installation. smile
Posted By: vanatic05 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 13th 2010 12:00 pm
Looks great very nice detail.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 16th 2010 5:52 am
Alright crew.......Todays events.

I decided to change the water pump, spark plugs ,spark wires, fan and alternator belt, lower radiator hose and ignition coil. Also I scored a 1988 econoline steering wheel for $7.16 at a junkyard in Spokane. Photos for the steering wheel will be post it later.

Water Pump.
I have the most ugliest ordeal with this. One of the bolt broke. SHHHHUUUTTT!!!! :angry: I had to remove the power steering pump, the alternator and the thermostat housing so I can pry this mo'fo out.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is how it looked like after removing half a vehicle....lol
[Linked Image]

NEW PUMP.
I spray it with Rustoleum Rust Remover and then paint it Ford blue.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Decide to clean the rust off the fan and the pollie. RustOleum it and painted flat gray.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is how it looks after assembly....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fan Cover.
Clean it up and spray painted black for the clean and fresh look.
[Linked Image]

Ignition coil and new spark plug wires.....NICE!
[Linked Image]

Spark plugs (0.44)...platinum.
[Linked Image]

Some of the new accesories, belts and hoses etc etc.
[Linked Image]

HOPE YOU ENJOY!!! laugh
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 16th 2010 12:54 pm
this oughta be one sweet runnin van by the time you are done!
Posted By: Knightjp Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 16th 2010 2:10 pm
That it will be... smile
Posted By: NateB Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 18th 2010 8:07 pm
Nice work!
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 25th 2010 11:32 pm
Alright Brothers....

I just finish priming my van. Im using Sherwin William oil based enamel primer and main color.
What I like from the SW is that they mix you ANY color you want. Its is not limited as RustOleum.
[Linked Image]

I picked georgian bay blue for the van color #6509.
Hopefully I will give her first coat of blue next week, weather permiting

Ok...Primer first. One coat only. 50 paint 50 mineral spirit. roll on only.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wife and I also check for any leaks on the roof. We clean some of the old stuff and replace it. On the moonroof we used black gasket and for the back vent we used just white silicone. Sorry I dont have pics at the moment. I forgot. lol
;)
Posted By: Kevs_Kustoms Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 12:12 am
Originally Posted by draggnastro
a little hint to make your life easier and to make the paint job look as good as it can. Take the mirrors, door handles, lights, grille etc off the van before you paint it. It will make a world of difference in the finished product.

Worth the effort FOR SURE!!! Just my 2% as well. Kev-
P.S. The Van is looking Great. Keep at it, you'll be done WAY before some of us.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 1:02 am
what did the gallon of the SW paint cost you? Im thinkin about re-doing the van this winter.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 2:21 am
Oh I did. I took and tape most of it. Im leaving the door lock and paint over them since Im buying new ones. Thanks. I will keep at it. Im trying to beat winter lol. laugh
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 2:24 am
I think it cost me $45 for primer and $45 for the blue color. Same price as the Rustoelum, but like I said before, I can pick whatever color Sherwin Williams have at the store. I decided to prime the whole thing with the same product so it comes out nice and even when I use the blue color.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 2:48 am
Im glad I did some homework. I was gonna go with the Rustoelum royal blue. But we want it a little darker, more flatter industrialish blue. This Georgian Bay is exactly what we want it. Here is a link so you guys can see the color.
http://seek.autodesk.com/search/sw6509?source=SearchBox

I want to do something different. Everybody have white, black, orange etc etc. smile
Posted By: NateB Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 10:24 am
That's a nice color blue..the van is going to look great.
Posted By: maples01 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 10:30 am
Uhm, hate to be a buzz kill but if you intend to remove the locks later after painting them, they'll wreck the paint trying to remove them.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 26th 2010 12:45 pm
Originally Posted by maples01
Uhm, hate to be a buzz kill but if you intend to remove the locks later after painting them, they'll wreck the paint trying to remove them.

you beat me to it. Exactly the paint edge will tear when you remove them, do it before and save a headache.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 27th 2010 2:27 am
Originally Posted by maples01

you beat me to it. Exactly the paint edge will tear when you remove them, do it before and save a headache.

My brothers in van...

Im always a grateful and humble student when you decide to enlight me with certain endevours. Never feel bad for trying to safe me a headache and or a couple of curse words. Thanks for the advice. lol laugh

Today's events..

1. Got myself 2 extras slotted wheels for $45. Score. Now the 2 spares can be the same.
http://kpr.craigslist.org/pts/2011527561.html[/url]

2. Got a new fan blade. Mine was 4 blades, this one is 6. Not only that is black and blue so it goes nice with the van color theme.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weather is nasty windy and cold this days. I havent been able to work on my baby girl frown
Posted By: c1run1 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 27th 2010 11:26 am
when ya painting the blue ?
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - October 27th 2010 4:29 pm
Weather permitting...this week or next. I want to do some fiberglassing first. The good thing about this project if that if you mess up, all you have to do is re-rolled again. Dont have to go to the shop or nothing. lol
Posted By: eeL Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 01st 2010 1:53 pm
What fiberglassing are you going to do? And did you get to paint? This has been a great thread! Please keep the pics coming.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 01st 2010 1:59 pm
that was my question. Whatcha gonna glass?
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 02nd 2010 1:08 am
I have multiple small holes all over the van that needs to be cover before I start painting. For example. Screw holes on the side of the doors where other side mirrors have been mounted. I removed the decorative molding from the rear brake lenses and the decorative molding from the front grill. I want to cover those little holes so it have a smooth appearance.

Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 02nd 2010 1:19 am
BTW..Todays events.

I bought the following items:

1. Fan Clutch
2. New brake master cylinder (mine leaks)
3. K&N cold air filter
4. PVC valve
5. Cold air hose
6. 55watts driving lights
[Linked Image]

This items will be replace sometime this week.
Ohhh.
I changed the oil from regular to synthetic.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 4:57 am
Ok Crew.

I received some of my items today.

Fan Clutch
Air Intake hose
K&N filter
Brake Master Cylinder.

_Fan Clutch_

What an ordeal. I got the call to pick up my items. I start to work right away. So I notice something about the way I assemble it that didnt look right. I go and check a youtube video and realize how much of an amateur I am, lol. The Flex Fan doesnt have a hole for me to stick the clutch.
[Linked Image]

So I go and try to get the right fan blade for the clutch. They sold me the wrong clutch!!. So they didnt have it, but they have the blade.
[Linked Image]

I had to travel to the other store to get it. I was smart and ask them to bring me the fan blade that goes to my van. That way I can have them measure it so I dont have to take another trip. So I got it exchanged.
I went to my Autozone and get the flex fan exchange for the one theone that supposed to go with.

~~NOW THIS LOOKS MORE LIKE IT~~~
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

_AIR INTAKE HOSE_
To make it short. The order me the wrong one. So again...to the store. I basically spend all day trying to get the right parts they misordered. I told the manager about how frustraded I was. I got my money back and he gave a $20 gift certificate for the inconvenience.

_K&N filter_
Installed. Im glad they gave me the right one. lol

_Brake Master Cylinder_
I spend so much time going back and foward I didnt have a chance to installed but I ask the store manager to double check to make sure the clerk order me the right one.
[Linked Image]

Another day in this adventure! smile
Posted By: maples01 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 5:31 am
Way to go, sounds like me lately, no plans on spending a lot, planning on saving to get work done, yet stuck with needed stuff to make it roadworthy.
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 2:20 pm
man I work on a 61 ford econoline for a local beer company and I can't tell you how many times these guys look up the F series truck parts instead of vans. I feel your pain man.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 3:25 pm
the autozone a block from my house is just as bad, but thats what you get for hiring clueless 18 year old girls to work in a parts store.
Posted By: Reed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 3:43 pm
Whenever I go to Autozone, I always print out the part number I need from the Autozone website. That way I can use their system to look up EXACTLY what I want and the clerk only has to go pull a part from the shelf. And when I get the part, I take it out of the box and look at it to see if it is really the one I want. Since I started doing this I have had very few mistakes.

You can do the same thing with Napa using napaonline.com
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 3:55 pm
The NAPA stores around here dont have squat for parts. The are owned by a married couple that is going through bitter divorce. They suck in service and they stocks is low and they try to sell you everything expensive. I stop going to them.
Posted By: LostSheep Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 4:48 pm
the autozone a block from my house is just as bad, but thats what you get for hiring clueless 18 year old girls to work in a parts store.

Clueless 18 year old girls ain't always a bad thing.....[Linked Image]..... smile
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 03rd 2010 9:23 pm
true, if im at hooters or a car show... when im greasy and pissed becuz dumb girl doesnt know a fuel filter from a fuel pump....
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 04th 2010 5:01 am
[Linked Image] I hate the fact that she messed up my day...but she is a cute little thing. lol
Posted By: draggnastro Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 04th 2010 12:52 pm
yeah, the one at my store aint. Look like an anorexic jamaican actress
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 05th 2010 8:59 pm
yeah, the one at my store aint. Look like an anorexic jamaican actress

rofl
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 12th 2010 3:12 pm
Todays Events:

We changed....

.Brake master cylinder
.Front brake disk
.Rear drum and shoes.

Brake master cylinder
Old
[Linked Image]

New
[Linked Image]

Front brake disc
Old
[Linked Image]
New
[Linked Image]

Rear drum and shoes.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GETTING IT DONE!! smile
Posted By: LostSheep Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 12th 2010 5:23 pm
Good job! Gonna be all new by the time ewer done..... smile
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 12th 2010 6:18 pm
Thanks.

Now I need to figure out how come I have all this new stuff in it
and my brakes travel all the way down to the floor in order to
brake.

I bleed them twice. no air.
I bench bleed the master cylinder, no air.
I wonder if it could be the booster. [Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 13th 2010 4:31 am
Changed the booster. Having the same problems. frown
Posted By: Reed Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 13th 2010 6:16 am
OK-did you remember to reinstall the little pushrod behind the master cylinder?
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 13th 2010 6:54 am
pushrod behind the cylinder? hmmmmm
[Linked Image]

Do you mean the one that comes out from the Brake Booster?
If it is....yes.
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 13th 2010 2:55 pm
silly question.
Did you adjust the rear brake shoes out untill the gave you a little drag on the new rear drums?
On disk brakes systems with drums.The adjustment on the rear shoes will dictate your brake pedal travel.

........Wookee

Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 15th 2010 6:37 am
Solve the problem

REM MASTER CYLINDER was all fuc**d up! Replace it with the old one and now it works.

Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 15th 2010 6:46 am
Brake ordeal:

In my knowledge quest to see what the hell happend to my brakes I changed a couple of things.

rear cylinders
[Linked Image]

I replaced all the drum springs and etceteras.
old
[Linked Image]

new
[Linked Image]
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 15th 2010 7:02 am
I also change the Brake Booster.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wookee Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 15th 2010 2:20 pm
glad to hear your problem was solved.

It sounds like the master cylinder had the seals/cups inside of it installed back wards.
It really should have never "bench bled" though......

........Wookee
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - July 21st 2011 4:38 am
Hey guys Im back. Go to the Paint section and check it out. baby looks sexy
smile smile
Posted By: lukester Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - July 22nd 2011 2:50 am
Nice to have you back with us.
Posted By: piscespokerbrat Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - July 22nd 2011 2:53 am
glad to hear your problem was solved.

It sounds like the master cylinder had the seals/cups inside of it installed back wards.
It really should have never "bench bled" though......

........Wookee

Probably made in CHINA!! AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - July 22nd 2012 8:09 pm
Any New updates on this Van? It's been a year
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - January 04th 2013 6:18 am
Hey guys!!
Sorry I haven't been around as I used to be. For those of you who have been through a divorce, the experience is life-changing. I'm glad mine changed for the positive.

VAN RELATED NEWS laugh
Nothing new with the van. The only thing I have done it to place wood panels on all the doors. My ex-mother in law was skillful to make me custom covers for the seats. I also change the heater core and the motor. Now....the damn thing runs on lower revolutions that the original one so I am freezing my ass off!!! LOL

NEW PLANS:
Interiors

1. I want to replace the back doors. Maybe get two doors with the popup windows.
2. Insulate the interior walls, ceiling, wood, and carpet the floors.
3. Built overhead shelves so I can place my CB radio, maps, cell phone, etc.

Exterior
1. I'm gonna murder out and place some black off road wheels to give it an aggressive look.
Mechanical
1. I will like to change the transmission to an AOD like I want to.
2. I need to change the rear differential fluid.
3. I want to change the shock absorber and springs. I don't think they have been replaced them since 1975 lol.

Alright, guys.
Here is the latest news.
I will be around more often now. I miss my brothers laugh

Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - January 04th 2013 8:43 pm
Been through 2 divorces,Know the feeling well
Keep us posted
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - April 03rd 2013 11:25 pm
WELL IM BACK IN EFFECT:

As of last week I have replaced the power steering pump and the gear box. They were leaking like a bitch.

Now is running so smooth is scary.

I talked to my restorer friend and we have some plans this summer to the van. SHE IS GOING BLACK.

New body work, insulation and black color is coming soon so I will keep ya all updated.

Its good to be back laugh

Posted By: Wizard78 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - April 04th 2013 3:22 pm
Cool can't wait,Keep the updates coming
Posted By: 77Quadravan Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - April 04th 2013 4:05 pm
Sweet! Cant wait to see how it turns out.
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - November 08th 2019 3:58 am
So just a quick update.

New 4 barrel carb
New 4 barrel intake
(it had the original 2 barrel before)

New radiator
New side marker light and rear brakelights
(switch them all to LED)
New 7" LED fog lights
New paint and theme scheme.

New 22" Thrusters on true duals.
New rear bench seat for the little man.

Photos coming soon smile
Posted By: James_Black Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - June 12th 2021 3:15 am
Originally Posted by James_Black
So just a quick update.

New 4 barrel carb
New 4 barrel intake
(it had the original 2 barrel before)

New radiator

New side marker light and rear brake lights
(switch them all to LED)
New 7" LED fog lights

New paint and theme scheme.

[img]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=c32d466785&attid=0.7&permmsgid=msg-a:r-3538880954671388083&th=177463c5ba377389&view=fimg&realattid=177463b03a42b988d2a3&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ99IBgzCr0Jr_PSxqScGghbollc81c0omWuUmjwTjOwFxWSijaN0sMgnNWr1l4dss5do6zNFO_OfJqNF2BNsoy0WRJjrD8JyR3YTsYwvsx-40Hm_pHoyDsXFT0&ats=2524608000000&sz=w1366-h624[/img]

New 22" Thrusters on true duals.
New rear bench seat for the little man.

Photos coming soon smile
Posted By: SDMickey Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - June 12th 2021 8:30 pm
Sounds nice. can't wait to see the pics.
Posted By: Lee7673 Re: 1975 Ford Econoline e150 custom - June 16th 2021 2:06 pm
Good progress. Keep the pictures coming
© Vannin' Community and Forums