Vannin' Home
Posted By: VanPLan Back fired twice... - April 19th 2012 6:12 pm
back fired and lost power. Thinking Ignition mod or coil although coil I replaced 4 months ago. Specs of carbon soot down both sides of van and around fenders... Cranks and sputters but will not start. We are gonna tackle it tomorrow or Sat and open to suggestions.

Sure doesn't looks like it belongs up there. haha
[Linked Image]

coffee
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - April 19th 2012 6:34 pm
Do you still have catylitic converters?
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Back fired twice... - April 19th 2012 6:51 pm
sorry to hear, hope you get it fixed soon.
Posted By: VanPLan Re: Back fired twice... - April 19th 2012 8:42 pm
No cat...gutted it yrs ago, pipe runs straight threw b/c need to visual pass in our state on a 95. Curious y you ask ?
coffee

Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - April 20th 2012 1:52 pm
Well if the cat plugged up it could cause that. Check your timing and make sure its still in time. Also if a vaccum hose blew off it can cause that.
Posted By: Halyeah Re: Back fired twice... - April 20th 2012 5:10 pm
Sounds like the timing jumped. IIRC, GM used a nylon-tooth cam gear to reduce timing chain noise, and when they wear, the chain will jump the cam gear. Be sure to replace the crank gear also. It`s not a bad job to replace, but not exactly fun, either!

Halyeah
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Back fired twice... - April 20th 2012 9:22 pm
thats exactly what I found in my 454 was a nylon gear and I put in a double roller chain....problem solved
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - April 20th 2012 9:54 pm
I had one years ago that burned up a lobe on the cam. When i pulled the timing cover and went to take the chain and gears off it was so worn that i just picked the chain up off of the gear. Lol shouldnt be able to do that. Funny thing is that it cranked and run fine until the cam wore out.
Posted By: Greywolf Re: Back fired twice... - April 21st 2012 12:23 am
I did'nt know they still had that junk nylon gear in the motors but if that is the case and it has come apart or broken make sure you check and or clean out the oil pan and sump or broken parts will clog up the oil sump and ruin your engine. just my 2 cents.
Posted By: VanPLan Re: Back fired twice... - April 21st 2012 6:46 pm
Ok..when is enough enough ?

Got into it today and have a laundry list of things to do just to get it running. As some of you know fuel and break lines need to be done. Seems the fuel pump is now shot as well as the Ignition Mod. No fuel..no spark. Also knew this was coming..intake manifold gasket leeks. Oh well may as well rebuilt TBI while it's all off. Of course a gasket kit will be in order as well. No sign of head gasket problems but where do I stop.
Also the rust I've bin taken care of is only hiding the big stuff..2 roof supports closest to the back door almost gone.
Then there's knowing the tranny has never bin serviced w/ 213,000 plus miles.

Seems I'm at a turning point. I've got so much into it it would kill me to watch it go to the yard. Yet if I stay on course I will have to make a commitment which will someday include welding, complete engine rebuild, not to mention the interior isn't even close to being a reality. Oh and did I mention the $100.00 worth of gas sitting in the tank.

What to do..what to do. I'm really thinking about shutting it down. Pull the new parts and cabin interior already installed and sending it on it's way. crazy
coffee
Posted By: NateB Re: Back fired twice... - April 21st 2012 9:58 pm
Well..you have to do what's right for you. If you decide to let her go, there's plenty of that body style Chevy out there...you know that.
Posted By: DrBob Re: Back fired twice... - April 22nd 2012 12:13 am
To bad your not near me. There's a I think it's an 88 conversion that just came up for sale. I couldn't get him to part with it last yerar. It needs front end work. {tie rod ends and such.
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - April 22nd 2012 12:23 am
damn dude, hate to hear this. wish i was closer to ya. i almost want to sell you mine,lol. how attached are you to this van and is this the van you always wanted?
Posted By: VanPLan Re: Back fired twice... - April 22nd 2012 1:04 am
How attached are most of us...TOOO attached. worms Had it for 14 yrs or so and did a vin and title search on it to find it is 1 of 6 of 13,700. Special order for a NJ police dept. with extras but never delivered.The dealer in the middle put it on the lot. I am second owner and upgraded on parts and what not when anything needed to be replaced.
Nothing that has to be done is really major but it's always cash flow. And now gas prices are killing my taking it anywhere I want...whenever I want. curse

Guess I'll give it a couple days and see if wifie settles down and I'm not so overwhelmed. rofl
coffee
Posted By: Reed Re: Back fired twice... - April 22nd 2012 1:44 am
Honestly, if it were me, I would look at the cost of anticipated repairs (including your time for labor), then use that estimated cost as the high point of a purchase price and go trolling on Craigslist to see what is available.
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - May 09th 2012 2:34 pm
So whats the latest? Are you gona fix your van or buy another one?
Posted By: wookee Re: Back fired twice... - May 09th 2012 2:54 pm
Ok I am going to be brutally honest here.
Right now vans are at the cheapest price wise that they have been for years.
With the amount of work and money needed to bring this van back. A decent driver(conversion or cargo) can be had with lower miles and a better body.Less over all work
I take my mechanical skills for granted. I do relies if you have to pay to have repairs done they can be very costly to some body on a limited budget.
Good luck to you which ever way you decide to go.

.......Wookee
Posted By: Ram4ever Re: Back fired twice... - May 09th 2012 6:14 pm
I agree with all of the others on this, especially Wookee. Plus consider how long your van will be down to perform all of these necessary repairs. You've got to do everything from bodywork to engine and ignition system repair to painting; that's quite a laundry list. I've seen some *really* nice, clean vans in the various listings referred to by the Vanners who post links here. I've even been sorely tempted by some of them. I think you'd be happier in the long run if you retire this one.
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - May 09th 2012 11:04 pm
And if you get another chevy like that youll have a parts van or you could build it up later.
Posted By: VanPLan Re: Back fired twice... - August 01st 2012 1:14 am
Sooooo. yay yay yay it's running and back on the road. rebuilt the tbi, and new ignition module and coil was all it took... AFTER I sold one of the kids, whore'd out the dog, and rented out the shower to some homeless vanners. haha

And yes with the comments above I had really considered it all but for now my goal was to get it back on the road b4 my surgery.(thanks all, and I mean that...10 heads are better then one) cheers
Till I run the course of recovery and rehab, winter will be almost upon us again so I then plan on going a little deeper into the motor. Remember please and be patient...this is one he>> of a learning curve for me. In the years to come I hope to stand with the best of ya and actually show something someday.(but not this one)

I still have to do break and fuel lines next week but with some more twikin and clean-up tomorrow and I'll be happy.

coffee
cheers
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - August 01st 2012 4:17 am
Glad to hear you got her back running again.
Posted By: draggnastro Re: Back fired twice... - August 01st 2012 4:49 am
glad to hear you got her fixed up and runnin right.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Back fired twice... - August 01st 2012 10:34 am
Glad you got it fixed
Posted By: VanPLan Re: Back fired twice... - August 02nd 2012 1:28 am
tks guys.. beer

quick question. is there any truth in being told that with the battery disconnected for so long and the van sitting the the short term memory in the computer mod needs to relearn and make adjustments for the new parts. to me that seems a little advanced for a 95.

anyway..had the van out some today and it does have some hesitation and burning rich again.

tks
coffee
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Back fired twice... - August 02nd 2012 3:58 am
Yes. Should be able to let it idle for about ten minutes and it should readjust itself
© Vannin' Community and Forums