Vannin' Home
Posted By: Big_Jim van trailor - May 18th 2007 5:02 pm
I found a 87 chevy van today. The front end is trashed but the back half is good. I am thinking about cutting off the back and making a trailor for travel gear or perhaps a small guest room. The hitch should not be a real issue but I am thinking on the best way to close in the front opening....bracing, sheetmetal etc. Any ideas from the forum...thanks...BigJim
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 6:11 pm
If it has tan/beige coloured shoulder and lap belts in the front, I would be interested in getting them Jim..

As far as the hitch and sheet metal goes, the best way is get yet another donor van and put the rear of that to close in the front end. Lots of welding to make it look good. The old standby is cut it off square and fill in with metal over plywood.

Keep it in mind about tongue wait. If you cut it off behind the front seats that is an issue. If you cut it off behind the side door it will tow better, but not have a lot of room.......
Posted By: Big_Jim Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 6:33 pm
Doc as a matter of fact it does have tan shoulder straps and seat belts...pm me if you like...Jim
Posted By: Bryce Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 7:14 pm
/o```\ . /o```lA\_
'-O---'--'-O----O-"
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 7:22 pm
Hey Bryce, that diagram should make it easy for Jim to build his lol
Posted By: Big_Jim Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 9:16 pm
yep that makes it crystal clear...lol
Posted By: wookee Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 10:34 pm
here is a picture of a nice one 13 vanners made out of a back half of a chavy
[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of a Ford I built back in the 80's

[Linked Image]

No plywood used on any of these trailers.....

IMO using another back half sheet metal on the front makes a cleaner looking job

The ford was a little easier to graft a C Channel tounge on to because it has a C channel type frame.
The chevy has a unibody box tube style frame you will have to work with.
Nothing a good mig welder and some thought can't take care of..........

Its only metal......

...........Wookee

Posted By: Big_Jim Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 10:51 pm
that black one looks like you used the whole van except for the front end...very cool...

great pics, the orange one is more what I'm looking for, thanks...Jim
Posted By: chevygod Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 11:03 pm
I was going to suggest using another back end for the front end (huh?) but this has been shared. This will probably work best, as body lines will match up. Also, you could add extra doors and make it a pass thru!
Tom
Posted By: Big_Jim Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 11:19 pm
thats a cool idea too...flow thru ventalation and easy to clean....thanks
Posted By: leadfoot Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 11:23 pm
there is an early chevy trailer out here
that used the front end with the windshield
his headlights AND wipers still work in it!
Posted By: BvrWally Re: van trailor - May 18th 2007 11:49 pm
PICS?
B.W. smile
Posted By: Lordmodelbuilder Re: van trailor - May 19th 2007 3:28 am
Always thought van trailers were cool. That 13's trucker one looks good, but be advised that the Chevy vans taper as they go to the back. Adding the rear section to the front would take some work to line it all up, but it could be done. Keep us posted Jim. Brad
Posted By: CatFish Re: van trailor - May 19th 2007 5:13 am
Iron Horse - IMHO one of the best van trailers of all time:
http://picasaweb.google.com/CatFish1111/VansAtRandom/photo#5066133657073406514

Posted By: wookee Re: van trailor - May 19th 2007 3:34 pm
Bobs Van Shop put out two van trailer combos
Iron Horse
[Linked Image]

Trade Winds

[Linked Image]

On the Ford the owner gave me a 1 ton Ford van with the front cut off right ate the door posts.I welded a set of Ford extended van Q panels to the posts and a section of side panel to fill the center.Extended the frame rails to make up the tongue.We also got rid of the rear and made an axel out of square tube.The trailer pulled nice.I remeber following it through the Harbor Tunnel one night comming back from a show and we were clipping along at 80.The owner used an "equilzer" set up on the hitch like the heavier camper trailers use.I think this helped allot.

The neat thing about using the Chevys is the if you section the two halves together at the center of the rear wheel well the roofs line up nice and are symetrical.Two LWB back half will make for a longer trailer because the over hang on a LWB is longer than a SWB.........

...........Wookee
Posted By: Bryce Re: van trailor - May 20th 2007 11:35 pm
Wookie has it right, the easiest way to not have to counter the taper of the roof is to slice two vans back to back right down the middle of the wheelwell.
© Vannin' Community and Forums