Vannin' Home
Posted By: Jud Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 3:45 pm
I got a call about 11;30 est that Wacko had passed away about an hour ago. Sue was with him at the time. He will be rememberd by all. He fought a long hard battle and it is time for him to rest. I will get you the details about the funeral etc as soon as I get them. frown
Posted By: Lordmodelbuilder Re: ad Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 3:49 pm
This is really sad to hear frown Paul will be remembered by all. RIP Paul.
Posted By: Jud Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 3:51 pm
I got a call from Sue about an hour ago that Wacko has passed away. Sue was with him. He fought a long hard battle.
I will post the details of the funeral when I have them.
Posted By: Kooba Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 3:58 pm
Peaceful journey my friend. We been seeing you somewhere down the road. Kooba & Marilyn
Posted By: Astro Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 4:00 pm
This is sad news
I will miss seeing him and the chats we had.
Posted By: badboy Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 4:02 pm
Man He will be missed!!! Thank God he's not suffering anymore.. In the sky at the largest vanning event!!
Posted By: luna Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 4:11 pm
One of the very good guys is gone. Peace to Wacko, Sue ,the families, and our big extended family.
Posted By: sasktrini Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 4:55 pm
Thanks for everything, Paul. Van on eternally.
Posted By: relaxedvanner Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 4:55 pm
Very sad news indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.
Posted By: Karson Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 5:10 pm
What sad news, he will be missed.

Karson
Posted By: nautic1 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 5:25 pm
We have been dreading hearing this news. We do know that he is no longer in pain. His journey on this earth is done. He has touched the hearts and lives of all his family of vanners and then some. We will miss you my friend, my brother, my vanner buddy. Know that you were loved and respected by all who had the priveledge of knowing you. Save us all a nice shady spot at that great van-in in the sky. Our love, prayers and condolences go out to Sue, Paul, jr. and all family and friends. We love you Paul and know that you may be gone but you are not forgotten. God bless and God speed.
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:04 pm
yeah You said it all. He will be missed
Posted By: Sheba Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:13 pm
Our thoughts and wishes go out to Sue and Paul Jr. Paul is at peace and in vanning heaven, keeping those 70s Dodge fanatics in check.

Karen and Kevin
Posted By: Snotty Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:25 pm
frown
Posted By: BvrWally Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:30 pm
frown
Posted By: Westvan71 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:34 pm
Sad to see the news... even through I've never met Wacko in person but did exchange posts with him online. May he rest peacefully in the great Van-in event. frown
Posted By: on the road Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:45 pm
This is a tough one. It is a rare vanner who has touched so many, from coast to coast, and literally around the world. He was a friend, a vanner, a dad, a husband, a mentor, and a curmudgeon, and he was very good at all of them. He was a guy who could kick you in the butt and hug you at the same time. I will miss him terribly.

For the last year, we talked on the phone weekly, and shared our Wisconsin Council trip in Feb. I will always cherish that trip, and the conversations we had. Thursday morning, we both woke up early, and laid there in our beds, talking, for almost 4 hours. Sunday, I had the pleasure of giving him a short tour of Chicago, where he said he had flown through many times, but actually never seen anything.

At the Nationals in New York, The nats board will have National Truck In Board pins, which we ordered after C of C. These pins were Paul's idea. Come see one of us, and wear a pin in memory of Wacko. When you are traveling this year, stop at a Hooters and have a beer and some wings in honor of our friend-the ultimate Hooters fan. I will be wearing my Portland Hooters shirt that he gave me to work tomorrow, and stopping at Hooters for lunch!

You guys in the Northwest- go to a run. That was what he wanted most of all.

Sorry for rambling...typing between the tears...

Howard
Posted By: newkirkinc1 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 6:49 pm
So sad to hear this,he did put up one heck of a fight.He will be missed dearly.Rest in peace my freind.
Posted By: Virtual Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 7:16 pm
Sad day indeed, Wacko put on quite a fight against this terrible disease since 2007 and kept vanning right to the end like so many others. He will not be forgotten for all he has done for vanning and for often daily participation on the forums here.
Maybe we can honor him in some way with an annual award given in his name at the Nationals.
Posted By: BlueMagoo Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 7:29 pm
frown from all of us at V.O.I.C.E.S. we send your condolences to all his family and friends. He will be missed.Say hello to Lynn.
Posted By: Boot Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 7:37 pm
Very sad news. Paul was a great friend and an inspiration. Our hearts go out to Susan and little Paul.
He'll be sadly missed, and remembered fondly.
Posted By: NateB Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 7:59 pm
Unfortuately I never had the pleasure of meeting Paul, but reading his posts were very inpirational. I will miss that. Van on Paul.

My condolences.

frown
Posted By: Capn Scurvy Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 8:08 pm
Oh, man... I really enjoyed the times I got to meet him and talk to him. Great guy, and I wish his family the best during this hard time. frown
Posted By: Dodges 3 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 8:27 pm
I only had the pleasures of meeting him once, but a great guy indeed. My condolences to his family and friends.
Posted By: Ken_Hopcraft Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 9:00 pm
Mary Frances and I are grateful for the time we had with him at Council. Howard , Wacko and us had joining rooms, and it was nice to pop our heads in each others door just say HI, and make a joke about something, or nothing at all. Just knowing we were all there was good enough....Our Condolences.
Posted By: theroseptv Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 9:08 pm
Very sad to hear this. Paul was a great friend. Paul doing a shot of tequila for you. Going to miss you greatly buddy. Susan and little Paul you have my prayers and condolences.
Posted By: maples01 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 10:20 pm
Sad to hear this, I remember chatting with him in Boots chatroom in the past.
Posted By: vanatic05 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 10:26 pm
R.I.P Paul..you will be missed frown
Posted By: YouCanDoItInAChevy Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 10:30 pm
i didnt know the fella but he seemed like he was a likable guy and loved by alot of people rip paul. we vanners all feel it when somebody passes
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 11:22 pm
A sad day in the vanning world. Our condolences to the family. Me and Laurie will drink a few cold ones tonight in honor of you. For those that didn't know Paul, here is a pic of him and my wife at the 07 Nats.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnowVan Re: Wacko has passed away - May 09th 2010 11:47 pm
My condolences to Sue, Paul Jr. and family.
Paul was more than my friend, he was "my brother from another mother". We were in Zephyr Van club together for many years and together we hosted several different van runs in several different states in the west. We traveled from the west coast to the National Truck-In on several occasions and some of those trips are my fondest memories in vanning. We have been through so much together and he was supportive when Suzanne and I decided to move to the Midwest to follow our career paths. Even though there were many miles between us, when we got together that all seemed to disappear. He put up a tough fight and I admire his strength and grace.

Paul, you will be missed!

[Linked Image]
Paul and Sue at the 31st National Truck-In, Kansas City, KS - 2003

Love,
Posted By: Nutty_Nik777 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 12:20 am
such sad news, wacko kept me entertained many nights on cam chat and its a shame I wont ever get to meet him in person. His memory and laughs will live on in my head. On behalf of us vanners in the uk. Our simpathy goes out to the family and friends that new him.
Rip Wacko

Will miss him.
Posted By: on the road Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 1:25 am
I got to take Paul around the city on the way to the airport after C of C. He was so excited to see Wrigley Field! Our last few minutes together...Chooie, Wacko, and I with the famous marquee.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: matchstickBGV Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 1:35 am
frown I did not know paul very long but he was always happy to share his advice with me on van repair, and I finally got to meet him at the 37th nats. It pains me greatly to hear this. My condolences to his family.
Posted By: CatFish Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 1:46 am
Our hearts go out to his family and to all his friends. To be loved by so many is to have lived a good and a full life.
Posted By: Lil_Ed Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 2:51 am
Ive known Paul for years and we like many have shared things together. He gets to spend time in that eternal Van Run in the sky. RIP PAUL
Posted By: OVANNER Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 3:19 am
Today is a sad day and he battled bravely against an evil disease. Just think we have a great vanner and friend looking down on us during each of our journeys. Van On Wacko and you will be missed!
Posted By: LilSis Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 3:28 am
So sad to have lost one of my big brothers. My heart and thoughts are with Sue and little Paul.

A huge loss for vanning as no one has as much passion as Paul does to contiune this sport! It will be carried on by everyone that attends each truck'n. Please make the time to get out and support vanning by attending the events - this is the best way to honor Paul!
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 3:28 am
Our home is sad. We have lost yet another wonderful spirit in our world. Steve and I are both so touched to have known Paul and his warmth. He had a way of 'morphing' whatever it was you saw in him into a kind of welcoming and peace when you were with him. Such a rare gift. Steve loved his dry wit and his, let's just say, 'bent' sense of humour. For me it was the warmth of his smile and the honesty with which he lived his life. I will miss drinking his birthday beers for him as I have for the past few years--it was always a Rogue--he loved that Oregon beer, and we have a Dead Guy Ale in the fridge we will have tomorrow in his honor! Hey, don't be disgusted--he would do the same for us!

Our hearts and condolences go out to Sue and son and the family. Also to those of us who are now missing one more dear loved one and friend, including MoonLite Vans! I will miss his smile and time, and the little notes we shared here.

Peace Wacko, and safe flight. Thank you for all you brought to our world--Vanning and otherwise. You fought with a strength that is nothing short of an inspiration. Please Hugg me a Bad Girl and know you will always a part of our world!

Posted By: Starlord Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 3:54 am
His pain is done at last
but we all have memories of the past
One day we will all meet again
we'll find a spot has been 'roped off' by a friend
Heavens Truck Inn will be the biggest by far
only vans and panels, not a single car
so I will not say goodbye you see
just "See you down the road" buddy
look for us at the front gate
I don't know when, I don't yet have the date
So if you would, keep me a beer cold
I'm sure it will be in a custom cooler of gold

Rest well Wacko, see you down the road.......
Posted By: GarfVanner Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 3:57 am
Unfortunately the sad news has arrived, not unexpected but still sad especially for those left behind, Sue and Paul Jr.
It really tugged at the heart hearing about a week ago how Sue was reading some story books from the social worker to Paul Jr. to help explain what was about to happen to his Dad, to try an help him through it.
The posibility of his passing was just not discussed,it was something that just was not an option for Wacko, he was going to beat this darn disease, no matter what. When we said our farewells and safe travels in February it was ALWAYS with a See you at the Nats tight back at us from Paul. Mind you he was anxious to get home to see Sue and His son Paul.

We got to learn a new word this evening, curmudgeon ! It was a nice way to seguay into the fact that he always kept you thinking, whether it be through his interesting dry sense of humour or sometimes crusty way of recapping something that was happening. It was always unique and thought provoking nad sometimes, as Billo helps us remember, can bring a tear to your eye in a good way!
(Darn those new fangeled tech toys!!)
We got to spend time with Paul and Sue when we were in Florida when we toured the Kennedy Space center with them and Bev from England. Once again an example of how Vanning is world wide and connecting, here are a couple of Canadians, someone from England and 2 from Oregon tour one of their nations kewl items in Florida.

It would also seem that he lived his life like one of our favourite bumper stickers: Live EVERY day like it is your last cause one day you will be right!
You will be missed but not forgotten, to our friend Wacko. Godspeed and safe journey to the Eternal Truckin' in the Sky
Geoff and Sonya
Posted By: PYSCHOWard Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 5:18 am
RIP Paul, and Condolences to the Friends and Family.
Posted By: starwars Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 9:52 am
our thoughts and prayers go out to his family he will be missed
Posted By: Superbeast Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 1:12 pm
We were in church yesterday morning praying for Paul and his family and friends as he was making his final journey. I hope it helped him to go peacefully.

We knew Paul for a lot of years, and always had some reservations with his gruff attitude, until we actually had the pleasure of sitting with him at the Nationals a few years ago and talking with him one on one. We learned that his passion for vanning and life and his family were the most important things in the world. I liked the analogy mentioned above that he could kick you in the ass while hugging you. That was Paul, a great friend, an awesome vanner and a loved one to everyone that took the time to really get to know him.

He WILL be missed!
Posted By: vanmachineman Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 2:37 pm
AHHH Man

R.I.P.
"""WACKO"""
Posted By: smitty Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 2:40 pm
Very Sad news indeed!!!! He will be missed, our condolences go out to Sue, Paul Jr. and all of his many many friends and Vannin Family!! RIP Paul! frown
Posted By: Glorydays Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 3:00 pm
I don't get on here too much and literally have been trying to assemble my feelings, thoughts and treasures of the times Paul and I spent together.

Howard couldn't have said it better. Paul was a vanner, a friend, a brother, a very loving husband and father. He could kick you n the butt and hug you a seond later. I know. I still have the bruises and the feeling of his arms holding me. Paul was a guy that never held back his feelings about anything. Knowing how vanners are Paul wasn't received well at times as he " told it how it was" but he was respected completely because of it. Paul was an invaluable member of the National Truckin Board.
At the Council of Councils in Niagra Falls New York in 2007, there was a long discussion about the host club being able to charge a minimal fee of $10.00 entry for the event to help suppress expenses. Paul, with his, I have heard enough complaining from tight wads attitude, stood up, was recognized and openly stated, " Some of you vanners are so tight, you can put a lump of coal up your ass and in 1 week crap out a diamond!" Although it received laughter and applause, he meant every word. He and I talked, laughed and comented on that ever since.
At the of C this year, Paul handed me one of his club pins and had a few personal words and I was extremely moved. When I saw Paul this year at the C of C, I told Donny Noone I was numb as he had that look like my mom and my ex-wife did shortly before they went to the Lord.
At the end of the 36th Nationals in Altamont, I had the honor of bringing Paul home with me as his flight left out of St. Louis that Monday. As exhausted as we were, we enjoyed the evening with conversation and cold beer.
I will never state that I would want more time with Paul, but I will always treasure the rare times I had with or around Paul.
Sue and little Paul are in my prayers daily. He touched our lives and tried to help bring order out of chaos many times. He literally lived for his family and vanning.
This is not goodbye, my friend, but I will see you again one day. YOu will always be in my memories.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 4:38 pm
Very sad news,Paul was a GREAT GUY
My prayers are with his family
Posted By: SixShot Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 5:40 pm
I was lucky to have met Paul last summer and talk with him at a couple different campouts.I instantly liked 'Wacko' and find his passing hard to express in words.I listened to Ma and Sue talk about some of what Paul and his family were going through and I claimed it was the campfire smoke that was causing my tears.Well there's no smoke around me now but my eyes have been leaking alot and the tears are for the loss of Paul and for his family.
The measure of a mans life is not how much gold he has acquired but how many lives he has touched and the number of tears shed at his passing.
It was my pleasure to have known Paul if only for a short while and the number of tears being shed for his passing are countless and world wide I'm sure.God speed Paul Wack
Posted By: Jud Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 5:45 pm
here is the funeral arraingements.
Hustad Funeral home at 7232 N. Richland Ave, Portland, Or 37203
He will be buried from Holy Cross Catholic Church 5227 N. Bowdoin St. Portland, OR 97203 at 10 am on May 17th.
The phone at church is 503-289-2834. Pauls Father goes to daily mass here. If you would like to have a mass said, you can send a donation of $10. in his name and they will arrainge for the masses to be said.
Posted By: Sisyphus Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 5:52 pm
Heartfelt condolences to you and yours from our family...

Daniel and Kelly

Posted By: Jud Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 6:13 pm
Way back in the seventys I would read the NW newsletter. Thre was always an artical from this guy named Wacko. He was a die hard vanner. Always encougering people to attend events. I finially got to meet him in person at the C of C in Seattle in 1992. We have spent a lot of time getting to know each other over the years. My first long distance event after I retired was Corn Cob in Southern Or. After the event I broke down and was able to stay with Paul and Sue while it was repaired. Last fall the last truck-in we attended together was Corn Cob. Once again I broke down while I was there and spent time with them again. We painted the livieng room and diningroom.

He was a great insperation to a lot of people and a huge asset to the National Truck-in board. I had the privelage of spending 2 weeks with Paul and Sue and Paul Jr. last month. He never gave up the fight. The last thing he said to me was see you in July.

My hart goes out to Sue, Paul jr, his dad and brother and sisters.
Posted By: Deb Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 6:20 pm
So very sorry to hear this. Judith, do you or anyone else here have their mailing address so I can get a card out to the Family?
Superbeast, yesterday morning Dawn and I were in Church also and the thought of Wacko jumped in my head so I said a prayer for him too.
I don't remember ever having the pleasure to meet Paul in person, sounds like I missed the opportunity to get to know a wonderful Vanner and his wife.
Deepest heartfelt condolences to Paul, Sue and their Family.
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 6:25 pm
Deb--the other thread may have an address for the Wack family. I know I have it on my e-mail, I will look it up and send it to you later! And I believe you did meet him when he came to visit at camp at the last IL Nats. Check the pics--'course it was coffee time for you. hee hee

Judith--thanks for the info!
Posted By: Pokin'Panel Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 7:56 pm
It was mid afternoon yesterday ,when via facebook, I was alerted to Paul’s passing. This was somewhat expected, so it was not a tremendous shock. But it is so very sad and now there is this tremendous void. I managed to tough it out through most of the day.
Later near bed time, I was on vanning.com and ran across the photo’s that Howard posted of Chooie, Wacko and himself at Wrigley Field in February. It hurt seeing this man, this friend, so frail. When I got to Dave’s (Starlord) post and read that beautiful poem, I just couldn’t handle it any more, I broke down and cried . My loving wife was there for me, as I tried to sleep but I didn’t get much sleep last night.
Paul leaves a tremendous void in a whole lot of peoples lives.
I have been Praying for him and his family each night for three years, and will continue to Pray for Sue, little Paul and for his family and friends.
He will be missed like all of our friends, but in the vanning community he will really be missed.
A person would be hard pressed to find someone with more passion for this hobby of ours than our Wacko!!!
I will always remember the great, fun times shared with him, though I’d Prayed for more of these times, he was called home to the great van run in the sky.
God Bless you Paul for coming into our lives, and we’ll see you again.
Doug
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 8:03 pm
If anyone would like to send a card to the family--

c/o Wack
6324 N. Princeton Street
Portland OR 97203
Posted By: chevyvan93 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 8:14 pm
Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family and friends
Posted By: gopher Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 9:44 pm
What can be said about a friend like Paul I first meet him at the vanvcouver island run in 84 i had just had knee sergery 2 weeks before he made me feel like we had known each other fore years After we had know each other fore years it felt like we had known each other fore ever Paul you will alway be my friend
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Wacko has passed away - May 10th 2010 9:54 pm
Van on Paul, pull up a chair with the others in the great circle and crack that beer you wanted a few weeks ago......Sue and L'il Paul...need anything , just ask...me or anybody here
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 1:13 am
Posted on Paul's Facebook,

If there was a Hooter's here, I would have, if there had been Vanner's here I would have, but alas, there wasn't.. so to adapt as Vanner's do, .I imposed on my, how do I say this without breaching security, my co-workers, and they all toasted Wacko with me, several times.... until today they did not know Paul, but today they all, as one, toasted ... Paul, Sue and little Paul, on THEIR courageous battle, and stand united with us, in honour of Wacko....and all he stood for, all he represented, and all he was, and for his immense family......
Posted By: Jewels Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 1:29 am
All the things said here are true and it is a great loss for our vanning community!!! Sue and Paul Jr. - my heart goes out to you as you get on going about with the challenge of being without him. I'm sure he was a great dad and husband. That's just how he did everything and it is so sad to hear this loss. I don't remember the first time I met him but it had to be the late 80's when I was exploring the Northwest. I was also a member of Zephyr and always considered Paul as my friend. I suck at these condolence messages but he was a great guy and will be missed!!! Peace and love to you, Jewels
Posted By: GupEBoy Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 2:22 am
As I sit here stealing someones wireless signal at the pool of my new apartment, I surround myself with the sounds of screaming children playing and splashing around to the point that is annoying. But today, it's the most enjoyable sounds. It's much better than sitting alone in my apartment that I have yet to furnish. I find myself so far from any vanner family to go hug, hold, or cry with so I will listen to the noise of LIFE!
I may have distanced myself from many vanners recently but they are always in my heart and my prayers. Paul "Wacko" Wack was one of the most memorable friends I will ever have. I had the fortune to spend a few trips up to the northwest to hang with him and Sue and eventually Paul Jr. In as many times that I was there, we were unsuccessful in visiting all the micro breweries in Portland. But the ones we did, we enjoyed. Always will remember the Little red Shed. A couple good brews and a cigar. The road trip we enjoyed as we we attended Friendly Truckers #3 in Tacoma Washington where Ma drove the to of us to the only three Hooters in the state of Washington. For some reason the name of the eVant he hosted slips my mind but was able to attend three times. All the way up to the last REAL one. I'll remember the beer tasting sessions held there and of course will always remember the tardrop trailer he let me use to sleep for the weekend. OH, and the recycling box was interesting. ;)
Yes, Paul was a curmudgeon, is it spelled correct?, and I agree he could kick you in the ass and hug you at the same time. I don't know which he did more but I didn't care. he said it like it was and we did disagree many times and had a couple arguments but in the end, we laughed and hugged when it was time to part ways.
This time, is so hard to think of him being gone and that I will never see him again. I wish I took the chance more often lately to speak to him and tell him how much I really loved him as I would my own true flesh and blood.
My battery is dying and the kids are leaving the pool. It's getting quiet as I see the sun dipping down and the breeze is blowing softly as if some of Paul's words are whispering in them. WHISPERING? HA, he'd be shouting for ALL to hear. GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND GET TO A DAMN VAN RUN! I hope to someday soon again.
Paul, I miss you brother and you will be missed by many many others.
True Vanner to the end as he said to Judith, "See you in July"
Prayers every day to Sue he great woman behind the man, and Paul Jr., the twinkle in his eye.

frown
Gup"E"Boy

OH and Vantasy Island was the run he always said he would never host again but kept doing it until the last real one.
Here are a couple pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BeerBob Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 3:36 am
Brews & Choo-Choos with Paul Wack

I have had the honor of trucking with “Wacko” for nearly 30 years. We picked each other up at our respective airports and even shared our spare vans when one was available. His door was always open when passing thru Portland. We laughed together so many times and even cried on each other’s shoulders once or twice. That is what friends do.

Paul was a Vanner! He took his responsibilities seriously and acted on behalf of ALL the vanners. The stories are too many, from McMinnville to Canby, the Wacko & Willie Productions, his time with the NorthWest Van Council to becoming a Nats Board member. The long drives he made down to King City for the West Coast Van Nationals and all the FART (Fly And Rent Truck) adventures that he logged. He sure enjoyed his vanning family.

In fact, his trip down under for the Australian Van Nationals introduced him to Sue, who would become his darling wife soon afterwards. Their own family then grew with the birth of Paul, Jr. The love they all shared is truly a wonderful thing.

Besides vanning, Paul and I shared a couple of other common interests, Trains and Beers. We talked often about model railroads and riding behind steam locomotives. You could hear the whistles blow from the tracks near his home and we would reminisce about what kind of freight was heading out of town. Those were some good times.

Paul was always quick to boast that the Portland area had more brewpubs than the Bay Area, a fact that we often debated. Paul was one of the regulars on the Brew Bus trips we would put together at the Nats or C of C. He was a Craft Brew Connoisseur just like me. I miss my buddy.

So now Paul has left his physical container but his spirit lives on. He will be amongst us when we are sitting at the bar, or around a campfire, or walking thru a van show. Next time you are waiting for the train to pass, look up and give him a wink. Next time you happen by a brewery, take in that sweet smell of boiling barley and give a thumbs up for Paul. Tip your glass and smile, as I am sure he is doing the same. We miss you Paul, see ya on the other side.

Your friend forever, BeerBob
Posted By: cactusdoug Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 4:25 am
OMG...

I don't spend much time on this board anymore but I used to spend a lot of time here...

I couldn't believe when I read that Paul had died...

I met Paul at the King City run back in 04...met beerbob there too.

I have never met someone so supportive of our Vannin' lifestyle than Paul, he will surely be missed by many.

My prayers are with his family.

CactusDoug
Posted By: BowTie89 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 6:04 pm
VIP (Van In Peace) Wacko..Burn Rubber..., Not Your Soul!
Posted By: Teen_Diva Re: Wacko has passed away - May 11th 2010 6:20 pm
Sorry to hear about paul he was a good person and a great vanner he will be sorely missed.
Posted By: Keep_On_Truckin_WNY Re: Wacko has passed away - May 12th 2010 3:57 am
Wish i had the chance to get to know the great Wacko... too many good people have left us this year, both personal friends/family members and members of the 'extended family'...

No more pain...
Posted By: woodchuck Re: Wacko has passed away - May 12th 2010 10:46 am
So sorry to hear about Wacho, he will be missed by all.. Thoughts and Prayers go out to Sue and family . Take care and we will party again some day
Posted By: 4snymph Re: Wacko has passed away - May 12th 2010 5:06 pm
I meet Paul in the year of "89", Buena Vista Nats if I remember correctly. It may not seem like a long time for some but it has been almost my entire lifetime in vanning. From our 1st meeting until our last conversation on the phone in March of this year, we have been friends. I will cherish all my memories dearly. Jeff and I send our condolences to Sue, Little Paul, family, and friends. Forever Vanning!
Posted By: Tequila Re: Wacko has passed away - May 12th 2010 8:23 pm
I didn't know Wacko as well as the rest of you guys.....met him a few years back when he was introduced to me by Ma SHIT, if I recall correctly. Liked hin right away, he was an honest guy who said what he neant, and he wasn't worried about ruffling any feathers in the process. I always enjoyed the Beer Bus trips we took with him over the years, as well as the occasional unplanned roadtrip with Moonlite and Co. He definitely had a different sense of humor, and has cracked me up on many occasions.....you just never saw it coming! I will miss him much, this has been a huge loss to Vanning.

My personal condolences, thoughts and prayers go out to Sue and Paul Jr., as well as his East coast brothers and sisters in Moonlite, who I know miss him dearly. Hope to be drinking a memorial toast with you soon.
Posted By: Bullit Re: Wacko has passed away - May 13th 2010 3:48 pm
sad news, RIP Wacko
Posted By: Snotty Re: Wacko has passed away - May 13th 2010 4:14 pm
Moon Lite is going to have our club meeting tonight at Hooter's in honor of Wacko tonight.

We'll all be toasting to you up at the truck-in in the sky bro!
Posted By: GupEBoy Re: Wacko has passed away - May 14th 2010 12:28 am
It's now 8:30 EST and Moon Lite is toasting at meeting. Wish I could be there. Hoisting another Sierra Nevada to him with you guys.
Posted By: vandude360 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 14th 2010 10:55 am
It's 3:30AM and this news still won't allow me any sleep, so instead I salute you with a Fat Tire Ale, Paul. Thank you for hounding me nightly, until I promised to attend the next NW event. Thank you for telling me afterward that that one or two events didn't make me a vanner, just a traveling van owner. Your relentless passion fueled my own and gave me the courage to keep attending events in spite of the knowledge that, as always, I would be the rookie, the one with the ugliest, rat-trap van on the grounds. I have only been a "traveling van owner" for eight years, but that's seven more than I thought I'd spend with my trusty rat-trap, J.J.

I salute you Paul for infecting yet another, with the vanny passion...

P.S. Any other Washington-based "van owners" care to join me tomorrow night at Hooters Tacoma for a proper salute?
Posted By: on the road Re: Wacko has passed away - May 14th 2010 12:21 pm
At Midwest's truck-in memorial day weekend, Tim, Suzanne, and Michelle will be hosting a bar at our pub crawl in honor of Paul. Apparently one of his favorite concoctions was a drink called nuclear waste, so they will have the nuclear wasteland bar open. It also supports and promotes the 2011 C of C in California.
Posted By: Snotty Re: Wacko has passed away - May 14th 2010 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by Snotty
Moon Lite is going to have our club meeting tonight at Hooter's in honor of Wacko tonight.

We'll all be toasting to you up at the truck-in in the sky bro!

Here's Moon Lite Vans toasting Wacko!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nautic1 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 15th 2010 9:00 pm
Excellent job there Moon Lite.
Posted By: Bobert Re: Wacko has passed away - May 15th 2010 10:04 pm
Damm, I was facing the wrong way.
Posted By: vanner71 Re: Wacko has passed away - May 15th 2010 11:52 pm
Its always a sad thing when a good person leaves us all way to soon.He will be missed by not just me but Im sure everyone.
Posted By: Meanmachine Re: Wacko has passed away - May 18th 2010 12:30 am
Paul's Obituary,

http://obits.oregonlive.com/obituaries/oregon/obituary.aspx?n=paul-joseph-wack&pid=142800568
Posted By: Gdaytisme Re: Wacko has passed away - May 31st 2010 5:17 am
Dear Family,

That's what you were to Paul, family. It's taken me three weeks to log-in to read what you all have written about my husband, you honor him greatly (and made me cry, more than once). He loved Vanning with a passion that not even I understood at times. I want to thank you all for the cards and the donations to Paul and I, they were greatly appreciated. Lots of Love to Judith who was the first to arrive here to save my sanity, followed a week later by my best friend Sally from Australia and she left about a week after Judith did. I had a week by myself before Carl and Janice from AZ arrived. They arrived on Friday the 7th and were here on Sunday morning when Paul passed. The support and the loving care they took of me and my son on that day words cannot relay how I feel, I will always hold them close to my heart.

I sit here tonight still wondering "what the hell" even though I had two and a half years to prepare, funny thing is you're never ready to say goodbye even when you think you are. It wasn't my son saying goodbye to his Dad that morning and telling him he loved him and that he would miss him that made me cry the most it was when little Paul climbed up into my arms (all 70 lbs of him) and told me not to cry it would be alright, that he would take care of me. So I don't want you to worry about me cause little Paul will take care of me and I will take care of him.

Now all you need to do is take care of each other,
Bye for now,
Sue xxx
Posted By: Gloworm_Dee_Jaye Re: Wacko has passed away - May 31st 2010 2:18 pm
You and Lil Paul will always be in the vannin family's thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: Suzie-BGfNY-IN Re: Wacko has passed away - June 01st 2010 1:25 pm

And as we take care of each other, you, Paul and little Paul will all be in our hearts.

Posted By: Superbeast Re: Wacko has passed away - June 02nd 2010 4:06 pm
yeah
Posted By: Alikazam Re: Wacko has passed away - July 22nd 2010 6:44 am
I just found this thread. I never got to meet Wacko though we were supposed to meet up last year. I'm sad to find out he has passed on but I know from my own dealing with him that he was in some pain and glad he doesn't suffer any more. He seemed like a great guy and I regret never having met him in person. RIP.
Posted By: GupEBoy Re: Wacko has passed away - August 01st 2010 10:24 pm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
frown
© Vannin' Community and Forums