Vannin' Home
Posted By: ABorBust 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 1:28 am
I'm so frustrated I can't see straight... I have had so many weird problems with my van I don't know what to do next.

When I bought my van a year and a half ago there were some problems with it. Beyond the obvious need for strusts and an oil change... There were issues that I could hear. I gave it back to the lady who in turn took it to a local mechanic who claims to have hooked it up to the computer twice. Each time claiming there was nothing wrong. There was a sputter to it, and the sound from the pump was higher pitched than I thought it shoud be. They acted like I was retarded..

Next thing you know I'm broke down in Lethbridge. Had it towed to Canadian tire, according to that mechanic and computer again there was nothing wrong with my van. He hooked it up twice because right after they brought it out to me, it wouldn't start again. It had been a hot day. The engine first lost power eventually dying completely. I had to camp out in the parking lot. Next morning same Mechanic, Bruce, tells me that he's pretty sure it's the gas pump over heating. Tells me that it would make sense that it wasn't showing problems when it was cool if it was the gas pump. That morning I headed home back to MT. Van made it fine.

I did pick up a fuel pump but took me like 8 months to find someone that could/ would change the pump. Small town, no one wants to drop the tank to replace the part... So I talked an old neighbor nto doing it. Paid him the going rate for the hours listed. That was about 2 months ago. James said the pump was really gunked up. I started adding a fuel treatment every time I fill it hoping to clean out lines just incase. He's back east and I can't get a hold of him to have him go over it. Changing the pump did seem to help. The picth even sounded better.

Now it's hot out and the van won't run for long before it strands me again. Drive 3 miles, park it and I can't get it going. Once it starts doing this, If I can get it to start it sputters adn dies, or when I put it into gear the energy plumits and stalls out.

It was suggested to me that I change the fuel filter. Yesterday after the sun went down a bit I changed the fuel filter. I took it for a test run, seemed fine but the pitch wheni engaged before starting sounded a bit high again. I did reverse flow the filter to see what if anything came out. There were soem small black things, could be carbon, could be peices from weather rubber? lines. I'm really not sure. There didn't seem to be that much to it though.

I'm now at a loss. I don't know what to do, what's wrong, or who to ask for help. If the computers aren't picking anything up and there is something very obviously wrong *shrugs* what do I do?

Oh and looking at it again today, opening the gas cap with to see if the pressure was decent ( I know I can't gague it that way, but at least you can tell it's there right?) No the key wasn't engaged. As I stood there with the cap open I could hear the tank continuing to burp. help?
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 4:24 am
Not real familiar with the nissan quest but it sounds like you have a plugged vent tube on the fuel tank somewhere. You also might just need a new fill cap. It seems there is something not letting the pressure escape from the fuel tank amd not letting it pull in fresh air when you use fuel from the tank building vacuum and making the fuel pump work twice as hard.
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 6:16 am
Whn it's acting up, if I come up to a stop or slow for a turn, again it looses power and dies, or sputters out and dies.
Posted By: Mat Mobile Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 11:13 am
Stop going for a quick fix. Plugging the computer will only tell you if something wrong is detected by the sensors which are almost all emissions related. Waste of time on OBD I if your check engine soon light isn't on.

Ideally, have a REAL mechanic do a REAL diagnostic.

If you have to DIY it. Start by plugging a fuel pressure gauge to your fuel line as close to the engines fuel intake as possible. You will have to look up what pressure your EFI system needs. Let the engine warm up and see if the required fuel pressure is maintained.

SaabGuy had a good suggestion. It's also possible that some rubber lines aren't reacting well to the higher ethanol content in today's fuel. I say this because you mentionned black debris in fuel pump.
Posted By: NateB Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 11:26 am
Black bits in the fuel filter???

The fuel tank needs to be dropped down and cleaned out. Have the the fuel lines flushed out and if possible the fuel injectors cleaned.

Fuel system is contaminated with dirt.
Posted By: Mat Mobile Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 11:50 am
Originally Posted by NateNCBV
Black bits in the fuel filter???

The fuel tank needs to be dropped down and cleaned out. Have the the fuel lines flushed out and if possible the fuel injectors cleaned.

Fuel system is contaminated with dirt.

Actually, Nate is right, it's probably as simple as that.

BTW, I don't get why your local mechanics don't want to drop the tank!?!? crazy
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 8:11 pm
Mathieu I'm not sure what DIY stands for. I'm not a machanic >.< But This van is trying to change that I tell you. In the past I have always taken vehicles to a shop, or let the guys handle repairs. I know this will sound stupid, but I felt accomplishd for having changed the fuel filter. Having had back surgery 4 months ago and never having done it before, it was an accomplishent for me climbin under the hood and getting that much done.

I do know what to do to check EIF in principle, I have looked up the pressure. Not so sure I can get under there and do it.

As for taking it to a real Mechanic Mathieu, God knows I wish I could. I live in a small town, population maybe 1500. There are 2 Mechanic shops. Neither have any good references to speak of. Nether have the bays, tools, what ever they can think of as a reason not to do it.. The closest dependable place would be about 100 mile drive. Van is not going to make that drive. Can't afford to tow it that far. SO if I can get an idea of what I could try, maybe I can get her to make it to Greatfalls where I can find someone that is able to drop the tank and do what should be done.

Nate, do you think If I could find someone that would drop it and clean the tank in their back yard ( cause that's probably the only way it will happen here) if it will run well enough to get to a Mechanic in the city?

Thanks for responding guys, I appreciate it.
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 8:22 pm
WHat Saabguy said sounds like things I should try anyway .

When I was changing the filter, I noticed the lines are starting to weather. Cracking, like a tire looks whn it starts to dry rot? You don't see the cracks until you push in on them.

So they will have to be replaced as well.

Posted By: NateB Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 11th 2012 8:39 pm
DIY=Do It Yourself

I would surely hope so.

We had a lady come into our shop with an Chevy S-10 Blazer with a stalling/rough running problem. We found that the fuel filter was clogged so we changed it and sent her on her way. A few days later she was back with the same problem...clogged fuel filter. I cut the fuel filter open and found that it was clogged solid with this black silt.

We put a brand new gas tank in along with a new fuel filter and she was happy as a clam. I don't remember if we flushed the rest of the fuel system or not, but that Blazer ran better than it ever did.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 13th 2012 3:53 am
Okay, no help here from me as to fixing this, other than what has been suggested already.
I do have a idea for a tow to better mechanic for you, get AAA. It will cost you ABOUT $100 for a year, but that gives you three tows at 100 miles for free, plus one 200 mile tow also. Only thing is they will not tow from your house to mechanic, so drive towards mechanic a few miles and park it, call AAA and say it broke down, needs towed to mechanic. Cheating some, but works. I look at it like this, one 100 mile tow costs more than the annual cost of the AAA. best of luck and keep us posted.
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 14th 2012 2:54 pm
HAHAHA Uncle_Fester you are pretty slick LOL. That isn't a bad idea at all. ;)

Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 14th 2012 5:01 pm
Now the other part of what frustrating, Last 2 mornngs I have run my son to work. Small town only a couple miles right. Well since the temp outside has dropped the van is not sputtering. Why would the weather have anything to do with the van running or not? Just makes no sense at all to me.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 15th 2012 4:06 am
Engines work best at something like 68* , someone correct me on best temp if I am wrong there please. That's why racers prefer night time racing, they run better. :-)
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 15th 2012 4:07 am
Originally Posted by ABorBust
HAHAHA Uncle_Fester you are pretty slick LOL. That isn't a bad idea at all. ;)

Hey, if it works! No one on here works for AAA, right?!?!
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 24th 2012 3:28 pm
The black stuff can be from the rubber connector from the tank to the filler tube breaking down, and yes ethanol will do that ...Also gunked up the old pump.....

Instead of using Crappy Tire fuel treatment spend the extra bucks on Seafoam..It is available at Canadian Tire, Walmart and every truck stop...It works..

But dropping the tank and cleaning it is a great idear....and change that connection hose...
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 25th 2012 3:32 am
Thanks for all the info and ideas guys. Going to have 2 almost completely free checks this month ( I swear the van knows right when to go after the purse LOL) Going to try and get everything taken care of.
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 27th 2012 12:08 pm
Originally Posted by Uncle_Fester
Okay, no help here from me as to fixing this, other than what has been suggested already.
I do have a idea for a tow to better mechanic for you, get AAA. It will cost you ABOUT $100 for a year, but that gives you three tows at 100 miles for free, plus one 200 mile tow also. Only thing is they will not tow from your house to mechanic, so drive towards mechanic a few miles and park it, call AAA and say it broke down, needs towed to mechanic. Cheating some, but works. I look at it like this, one 100 mile tow costs more than the annual cost of the AAA. best of luck and keep us posted.

I use my AAA up every year...Twice for breakdowns, once to relocate a new purchase, and once when liquid lunch turned into a midnight " I better get home without driving " thang ;)
Posted By: relaxedvanner Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 12th 2012 11:29 pm
Ok, I took the van for a drive... it died. Tryed to restart and heard backfiring so I checked the Distributer and found this...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I may have stumbled upon the problem, There was no center contact left in the Distributer cap. I was amazed it ran as good as it did.
The previous owner had this van inspected just before Kim bought it just over a year ago, not sure what in hell he checked but if he checked this he forgot to mention it.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 13th 2012 3:15 am
WOW, and it started like that? REALLY? lol
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 14th 2012 3:01 pm
parts have been ordered, I'm going to try and do the repair myself. Relaxedvanner made it look easy peasy when he explained it to me. So on about the 20th will find out how easy it is ;) . Boy do I hope this is the last of the mechanical troubles for a while. I would really like to spend a little on making curtians and stuff for the interior...
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 14th 2012 6:07 pm
I will pray to the banner gods for ya, we need to get that baby on the road and to a eVANt !
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 15th 2012 4:47 pm
Why thank you Uncle_Fester lol. Maybe one of these days I can grab Relaxedvanner and we can both head for our first eVANt. So far I live vicariously though the pics everyone posts from the runs. smile
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 17th 2012 8:14 pm
Ok, new cap installed. Marked the top to make sure I would get it to line up right. That was easy...

The rotor is a whole different issue... Should have been easy... I found that part of the rotor is still attatched to the distibutor. I'm worried about trying to force it off. I'm also worried about spraying it with wd40, would that be safe to use inside the distributor cap? Wouldn't it be a fire hazard with the it being what it is?

Suggestions please?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 17th 2012 8:15 pm
and yes i did remove the screw on the side of the rotor...
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 17th 2012 10:02 pm
WD40 shouldn't be an issue. The Ford guys will tell you about that. The Ford dizzy cap sometimes doesn't seal real well and gets moisture in it and your engine won't run hardly at all. A little shot of WD and it fires right up.
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 17th 2012 11:44 pm
My Van is running! I'm so happy I could just ( ok maybe I shouldn't post that here lol) cheers

I went next door hoping to borrow a can of lubricant. I really didn't want to make the walk through town to get to the store a 2nd time in the same day >.< . Neighbor approches his door and i hear gumble grumble, cruse, "trying to take a [censored] nap." Guessig he thought I was a family member. I ask for lubricant and as he's looking i tell him what i need it for. he marches right out "oh i can do that." then " I guess we do need to spray it." pulls out some tools and bam it's off. put it back together.

He tells me to start her up. I do and it's rough. Sounded like it has every time I can keep it runing. He checks spark plugs. They look good, there is no ware on them and they are pretty clean. They however did not smell like fuel, yes I smelled them too.

He pointed out the sound of a vacum leak. I'm guessing I knocked the line off when I changed the fuel filter. he popped that back on. still running very rough. He cut my fuel line off it's connection, ( thought to myself, he was a mechanic so he can do what ever as long as he can fix it) tested the flow, first time nothing, after that he listens to the tank. It had been burping last time he tried to help and that was ok this time. so he goes under the hood saying I have an idea. tinkers around a bit, sprays ( I'm guessing ether?) a bit. eventually he's reving it and it's good.

He thinks it ran so crappy for so long, just needed to blow out the injectors.

Took it for a test drive, even got her out on the inerstate to open her up a bit. So far it's running very nice. Maybe a tad bit high on the idle but not much. I think like the injectors I'm so use to it not running right and complaining about what i hear and feel as it's running not being right, I will have to get use to the way it is now. It's shifting so much better, not missing when I break, slow, or go up hill. Not stalling when I break or go in reverse. Boy do I hope this is it for a while.

I'm so greatful to have both a great man to help me find the problem, and also a sweet old grumpy hippy neighbor LOL and you guys of course! I did offer to pay him. He wouldn't take a thing.. finally he decided he wanted a couple bottles of code red dew. shift
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: 95 Nissan Quest - August 18th 2012 4:05 am
Glad it turned out good for you. . . .
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 28th 2013 5:24 pm
need some quick help if anyone is on. trying to get under the manifold to change seals. We can see anything else to detach that would have it anchored. something in the back still has hold of it.

Anyone have any suggestion would be greatful fora txt @406-470-2881.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: ABorBust Re: 95 Nissan Quest - July 28th 2013 5:41 pm
ok just down to hoses,
© Vannin' Community and Forums