Vannin' Home
Posted By: 86ed locking gas cap - June 11th 2012 4:22 am
last night at 1:50 am the police came a knocking on my front door. 2 cops standing there with 5 kids and a 5 gallon can of gas. so I guess it's time for me to get a locking gas cap. Just wondering if there are more than 1 style to choose from. so far I've checked napa and they had a chrome 1 with red writing on it. just wondering what you guys with a mid 70's are using.
Posted By: FinallyaVanner Re: locking gas cap - June 11th 2012 6:09 am
You can check E-Pay to see if they have the factory ones. If I remember correctly they look like the non-locking, but have the lock in the middle flush with the rest of the surface.

Richard
Posted By: heavy389 Re: locking gas cap - June 11th 2012 12:05 pm
Originally Posted by 86ed
last night at 1:50 am the police came a knocking on my front door. 2 cops standing there with 5 kids and a 5 gallon can of gas. so I guess it's time for me to get a locking gas cap. Just wondering if there are more than 1 style to choose from. so far I've checked napa and they had a chrome 1 with red writing on it. just wondering what you guys with a mid 70's are using.

Thays what I had on mine bac in a day! Still got but dont use (yet) lol
Posted By: CaptFlaps Re: locking gas cap - June 11th 2012 12:14 pm
got mine from e bay...same one you described.
Posted By: 86ed Re: locking gas cap - June 13th 2012 1:39 am
i ended up just getting a Stant locking cap. i don't really like the fit or look; they just pop on and have a lot of play if wobbling it around. i would of rather had the plastic black "twist on till it clicks a few times" style cap better. but i guess they are not for the mid 70's Dodges. [img:center]http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=48540[/img]
Posted By: 86ed Re: locking gas cap - June 13th 2012 1:44 am
this is the black plastic style that i wish was for my van. [img:center]http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stant-10506-Locking-Fuel-Cap/16783612[/img]
Posted By: Phoenix Re: locking gas cap - June 14th 2012 12:28 am
If you can still get them I had a flip open gas cap from a 1970 Charger and Challenger on my 75. I had a stant locking gas cap under it I learned about the setup out of a Vans and trucks magazine a long time ago. I will run up to my shop and see if I can find the thing..................
I found it Here's a pic. The numbers inside are 3466 435, and 62779A, either one could be a Dodge part number and believe it or not Dodge used the same screw holes for all fill necks and I did not have to drill anything to mount it on my 75 van. It has been gone for 20 years and this is the only thing left off of it that I have not re-used on the Phoenix. And it is still in good shape besides dirty and been laying out in my barn on a shelf for twenty years. Go down to your dodge dealership parts dept and see if you can order one it only cost about twenty five bucks and there might be some new old stock left. VERY possible
[Linked Image]
Posted By: vandude360 Re: locking gas cap - June 15th 2012 4:27 am
JJ doesn't even have a gas tank to siphon right now, but should be all back together by August. I'm just a mile or two up the road (Shaw Road)from you, so maybe I should grab a locking cap too.

Here is a '70 charger "Quick-Fill" cap ($90) and trim ring ($40):

[Linked Image]

This "Flip-Top Cap" cover ($90) & Trim ring ($15) are for a '70-71 Challenger:

[Linked Image]

This '71 Challenger vented locking gas cap ($18) fits under the flip-top cover:

[Linked Image]

You could even add a fip-top cover/trim ring on the other side for 120 volt ac access:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 86ed Re: locking gas cap - June 16th 2012 6:04 am
I like those ideas, they look great. for now I will just stay with the standard locking cap but in another year or so I plan on having the van repainted so maybe will incorporate some of those ideas.
Posted By: FinallyaVanner Re: locking gas cap - June 16th 2012 7:08 am
I like the idea of the Charger flip top. I have seen it on several vans in the van mags. Can you also use the ring?
I just bought an NOS Mopar locking cap, will it still work with the flip cap? I don't want to spend $90.00 on a flip top to find out it doesn't.
Here's the cap I got. It looks like the non locking cap,but locks

[Linked Image]

Richard
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: locking gas cap - June 16th 2012 12:54 pm
If they really want it,They will puncture your tank and get it
Posted By: HighwayStar Re: locking gas cap - June 16th 2012 10:37 pm
Originally Posted by Wizard78
If they really want it,They will puncture your tank and get it

Or they'll move along to the next one with-out a lock maybe Wiz.... frown

Posted By: HighwayStar Re: locking gas cap - June 16th 2012 10:40 pm
Originally Posted by vandude360
JJ doesn't even have a gas tank to siphon right now, but should be all back together by August. I'm just a mile or two up the road (Shaw Road)from you, so maybe I should grab a locking cap too.

Here is a '70 charger "Quick-Fill" cap ($90) and trim ring ($40):

[Linked Image]

This "Flip-Top Cap" cover ($90) & Trim ring ($15) are for a '70-71 Challenger:

[Linked Image]

This '71 Challenger vented locking gas cap ($18) fits under the flip-top cover:

[Linked Image]

You could even add a fip-top cover/trim ring on the other side for 120 volt ac access:

[Linked Image]

This looks like the ultimate set-up to me....very cool ! cheers bow
© Vannin' Community and Forums