Vannin' Home
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 12:37 am
Recently, to see what would happen, a "Vanner" from behind the former Iron Curtain indicated that he could not buy stuff from eBay because it was blocked from where he was ...he said he had a great Paypal record though.

Newsflash !! Paypal is owned by eBay and if one blocks something, so does the other ! He needed a proxy to buy and ship for him.

Well, I bid and bought the parts, and a pay-pal by credit card was offered and accepted....then rescinded 5 days later because it was paid for by a hacked card..Thankfully the custom issues kept me from shipping the parts right away..

Then my Paypal address was under attack by hackers, but thanks to a strong( to say the least ! )password they left empty handed. The parts are actually worth 10 times what I paid for them so that is cool.

Now another post has asked for a similar thing, for a relatively cheap purchase...ALARM BELLS RINGING HERE !!!!

I would suggest never third party ANY sales site purchase. If they send you CASH, or Western Union, with cash in hand then MAYBE !!!!! If they cannot buy it themselves, there is a reason !!!
Posted By: frscke1 Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 12:45 am
So what do you have for sale ?
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 12:55 am
It was a 2 x4bbl Edelbrock SBC intake, shorty headers and an Accel ignition setup.......Funny seems I cannot find it now...it may have fell off my van at the O'Hare Oasis on I 294 going through Chicago on the way to the Natz !!

But then again, I have so many parts around, who can keep track of what is where ?? angel
Posted By: vanfun Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 2:35 am
It is a crying shame but you cannot trust some one just because they are on this website. If you notice some come and go. It came close that I got taken a time or two but if I was not already on pins and needles it may have happened.Bottom line handshake days are over.frown And not to scare the bejesus out of you I have had a lot of very nice and honest dealings out of here as well.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 3:32 am
This is interesting because I PMed the person two days ago, asking for a price on the T-Shirts they have for their club and how could I send them the money for the cost + shipping, and I have not heard a word from them yet. I would not think much of it as not everyone gets on here daily, but this makes me wonder. . . . .

I just checked and he has been on here today, EARLY, but on. . . . .hmmmmn?
Posted By: River_Rat Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 4:03 am
I think i just had my craigslist account hacked. I cant log into it now. I got a email akin me to log in and it looked official but i just found out it was not. I have no idea how to fix it.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 10:28 am
A few people screw it up for everybody frown
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 11:33 am
Originally Posted by River_Rat
I think i just had my craigslist account hacked. I cant log into it now. I got a email akin me to log in and it looked official but i just found out it was not. I have no idea how to fix it.

Just go and log in like you normally do from your own link. Then if you can access the account change your password..If not use the lost your password feature and get a new one
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 6:48 pm
I am also not saying the current situation has anything to do with the previous situation..May be a totally different person.........
Posted By: yogreasygramma Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 6:56 pm
I live behind the Iron Curtain and I'm sorry for your troubles, Doc! You know well that I've had complications (to put it mildly, lightly and politely) buying parts and vans from esteemed vanners, and other "vanners" in the US as well, and I always pay cash in advance. So it works both ways; there has to be trust from both parties, and that trust isn't always honored by the party receiving the cash.
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 9:56 pm
Lets hope this is not the deal now, that we are dealing with true/good people and let everyone enjoy being here !
Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Re: Beware of Scammers - August 03rd 2012 10:45 pm
Originally Posted by yogreasygramma
I live behind the Iron Curtain and I'm sorry for your troubles, Doc! You know well that I've had complications (to put it mildly, lightly and politely) buying parts and vans from esteemed vanners, and other "vanners" in the US as well, and I always pay cash in advance. So it works both ways; there has to be trust from both parties, and that trust isn't always honored by the party receiving the cash.

Yeah, I know your issues way to well....I think you ran into Van owners as opposed to vanner's....but yes TRUST IS A @ WAY STREET HERE !
© Vannin' Community and Forums