Vannin' Home
Posted By: Awbartley Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 12:24 pm
Ok here is my dilemma,
I will be pulling out the engine and starting over... I want to do this van right, custom bodywork etc....
What is the opinions on keeping the 318 or finding a good 360. My thoughts are the 318 is reliable and better economy. I am just building a cruiser/ show truck, not a speed demon....hmmmm.
Posted By: Mutt Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 12:40 pm
Speaking from 34 years of Chrysler product ownership, skip the 360. The difference in MPG between the two engines is huge!
Posted By: Reed Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 2:54 pm
Keep the 318. Keep the stock two barrel carb and put on an Edelbrock SP2P two barrel intake. If the engine has a lean-burn ignition or carb system, ditch it (them) and go with HEI ignition and a non-computer controlled carb.
Posted By: NateB Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 8:18 pm
You could even go with an mild cam and still run the 2bbl. Improve lower end torque.
Posted By: Reed Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 8:31 pm
Originally Posted by NatetheskateNCBV
You could even go with an mild cam and still run the 2bbl. Improve lower end torque.

+1.
Posted By: Bandvan Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 8:47 pm
The only thing I prefer the 360 in is a 4x4 truck or 3500 van. I will also raise my hand and say that the 318 is a good reliable v8 and it has plenty of aftermarket support. My dodge has a 318 bored .030 over with a torque cam, E-brock performer intake, 670 holly street avenger, headers and an MSD ignition system. When I had it running it was very happy. I have no want for a 360.

Ive dug into small block Chevys, Ford windsors, various 90deg V6s and my 318. I have to say I really like how easy it is work on the 318 top end over the others.
Posted By: Awbartley Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 10:57 pm
I have found it easy to work on...
My current setup is
.030 over bore
headers
performer intake with 600 edelbrock (electric choke)
New rebuild, but have had some issues this time (1st build)

So I think i need to tear into again. I cant tell if it is a belt or something squealing internal. So that being said, I wont be happy until I tear it back out and find out.
Is the two barrel better than the 4? What is the best method for selecting the correct cam for nice torque and sound with compromise on mileage and reliability.
Posted By: Awbartley Re: Opinions needed.... - June 04th 2012 10:59 pm
I have found it easy to work on...
My current setup is
.030 over bore
headers
performer intake with 600 edelbrock (electric choke)
New rebuild, but have had some issues this time (1st build)

So I think i need to tear into again. I cant tell if it is a belt or something squealing internal. So that being said, I wont be happy until I tear it back out and find out.
Is the two barrel better than the 4? What is the best method for selecting the correct cam for nice torque and sound with compromise on mileage and reliability.
Posted By: Reed Re: Opinions needed.... - June 05th 2012 8:54 pm
If you are going to drop some coin, I say dump the 600 CFM carb and go for a 500 CFM version. Or, if you can find one, get a spreadbore carb such as a Holley 4360. The 4360 was an economy carb sold in the 70s and 80s which would give better MPG if you kept your foot out of it.

Why not run the motor with all the belts temporarily removed? That would tell you if the squealing was internal or belt related.
Posted By: Vanner68 Re: Opinions needed.... - June 06th 2012 1:47 am
My 86 has the 318 with the Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Edelbrock 600 CFM carb (basically, a Carter AFB) and headers.
I replaced the lean burn with a standard Chrysler electronic ignition, with lightened advance weights.
I picked up about 3mpg, and about 25mph on the top end.

I also fried my A904 trying to do a burnout in front of the house.
Replaced with an A727, no problems negotiating Pennsylvania mountains.
© Vannin' Community and Forums