Vannin' Home
Posted By: Starlord How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 1:48 am
Well, the Semi's insurance company says that for two grand my van is totaled. How do I figure out the "It's worth this much" figure? Details: 93 G20 Travel Quest conversion. 109,000 miles, power everything....windows, locks, couch/bed, drivers seat. Integrated flares and running boards, tv antennae type roof rack. 350 engine, dual air, auto, pwr steering and brakes. Exterior paint sucks but prior to the semi hitting it there were no dents and no rust, by paint sucks I mean the clear coat is pretty well shot. Interior is great, in pretty darn good shape (as a matter of fact, the two passenger seats were out of it as well as the couch bed and wrapped in plastic for years so they are like new). Mechanically sound, doesn't smoke or burn oil, starts easily, no play in the wheels, tranny works like it's supposed to. New windshield and tires, new window motors. Also, how do I keep it since everything works good and the damage isn't really that bad????? Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: on the road Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 2:00 am
They hit you??? Their fault? Do you have the van in your possession? From my experience, you hold most of the cards. Around here you can force them to replace it with one that makes you happy. Otherwise, you should be able to negotiate with them to get your money and keep the van. Good Luck!
Posted By: Starlord Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 2:08 am
They not only hit me, it was parked and he went over the curb, and then left. We found him though, next door picking up stuff with my green paint on his red semi.
Posted By: mrmattvan Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 2:43 am
yep i gotta agree with on the road. Especially after the trucker ran and tried to get away with it..
Posted By: Uncle_Fester Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 3:11 am
I would start with the NADA Website, see what it says the van is worth, and go from there. . . DO NOT LET THEM HAVE THE VAN FOR ANY REASON ! Keep it under your control !
Posted By: draggnastro Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 4:32 am
i think i would contact an attorney. Just to make sure you dont get hosed.
Posted By: SaabGuy Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 5:38 am
NADA is a great start. Keep in mind the value the chassis and conversion package seperate. Also, find some similar vans and get retail prices, i.e. car lots, c-list, ebay, etc. Print out everything you can. If you keep service records that would be good, too. And NEVER take the first offer. Let your insurance company work for you. Thats part of their responsibility as well. They have better lawyers than you can afford.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 10:31 am
Originally Posted by on the road
They hit you??? Their fault? Do you have the van in your possession? From my experience, you hold most of the cards. Around here you can force them to replace it with one that makes you happy. Otherwise, you should be able to negotiate with them to get your money and keep the van. Good Luck!

Same here in Va,I had somebody hit and total my car years ago,I made them replace it.Remember they total your Van Not you
Posted By: Bandvan Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 8:52 pm
I just had someone hit me and total my 89 G20 in December. After a lot of foot stomping and arguing I got $4200 for my Gladiator Conversion. It had no rust and 135,000 miles on it. That should give you a ball park. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, its never fun when some other jerk wrecks your ride.
Posted By: pockets Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 24th 2012 11:54 pm
I would say give me $1800 and I keep the van. They save $200 and a tow. Most insurance company's will go for it cause it saves them money and the hastle. I've had friends do this to what the insurance called totaled for a couple dents. All they see are numbers not what the vehicle looks like. Hope the best for ya.
Posted By: Starlord Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 25th 2012 1:30 am
Talked to them today. He found out it was a conversion with real wood trim, like new interior, and power everything. His comment; "Hmmmm, maybe it's not totaled after all". So now we play the waiting game and see what he comes back with. I guess if they total it, it's what ever figure they come up with minus salvage $ for me to keep it, something like 4 or 5 hundred bucks. Maybe it won't be so bad......we'll see.
Posted By: Wizard78 Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 25th 2012 2:13 am
Stand your ground and make them give you what you want.I did and it worked for me
Posted By: Starlord Re: How do I figure "Totaled" worth? - April 28th 2012 12:35 am
Well, they decided it's not totaled. Sending me a check for the repairs.
© Vannin' Community and Forums