Morning folks..

I tried to fire-up the vandura again on Saturday but it still didn't want to cooperate. There was a spark at the plugs so the electrical side seems fine. I put it down to the carb being gummed up.

Its a rochester quadrajet.

I pulled the carb off on Saturday snd got to stripping it down carefully yesterday and gave it a good cleaning. The input filter on the carb was clogged with rust and gel. There was plenty of crud inside the carb too. I also noticed a few other issues that needed to be put right.

Problem 1 -
This little spring (red arrow bottom right of pic) seemed to be disconnected and not engaging the secondary butterfly valves on the throttle body. It just needed to be hooked in to the throttle arm.
The accelerator pump assembly (red arrow on left of photo) was rusted on the upper shaft (external to the carb housing) and not returning when released. A light rub with super fine sandpaper and light machine oil sorted that right out.
[Linked Image]

Problem 2 -
this little tube on the left had fallen out of the upper housing (air horn plate) and was laying in the bottom of the gallery below it. The service manual calls it a "secondary pickup tube" but doesn't explain the function 100%. I guess it didn't help being disconnected lol
[Linked Image]

I didn't get a rebuild kit yet so i was super careful in taking it apart for its initial cleaning. It went back together with no problems. The gaskets have seen better days so I will need to pick up a rebuild kit and do this job properly. I will rebuild it at a later stage...

My priority right now is to get it running and mobile so i can move the camper to a better location where I can work on it.

Kevin

[Linked Image]