Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Diesel go go
#85942 June 26th 2006 11:57 pm
pooh-bah
OP Online Content
pooh-bah
Bonehead, Superbeast or anyone. Want to add some spice to the 6.0 but here's what I'm running into-We all know Truckin' did a build with Bully Dog stuff. Local dealer says they have nothing but trouble with Bully Dog and even though they have it on the shelf, they won't sell it any more. Now, Hypertech, says no application for a van, Edge says theirs works on some, not on others. Anybody have any ideas? Just want a little extra tow power and retain all dependability and hopefully get a little more fuel mileage. Also want to be able to make it easily stock again if it has to go in to shop for something. Thanks for any help. [Big Grin]

Re: Diesel go go
#85943 June 27th 2006 12:49 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
The scoup is, the van has a low boost turbo due to lack of room and possible cooling issues, the truck stuff will obviously cause big issues with heat and the different components.
Do the exhaust, but anything more could cause issues with warranty, someone told me that they could probe the ECM and find if you had a programmer recently on it.

#85944 June 27th 2006 6:29 am
Madman!
Madman!
I've been doing the same thing. None of them make a unit for the van. They say it's not in demand enough. Bonehead and I have the 7.3 Diesel. Edge and Superchips have told me that the units they make for the trucks will work, but not all features.

Bonehead has installed a complete Banks sytem on his. I know he had to swap turbos, the housings look the same, but the insides are different, and he also had to modify at least on of the pipes.

As far as mileage, you probably will not get much better, unless you can find a tuner that will bypass all the factory computers. They have a program built-in that learns the way you drive and reprograms itself for the way you drive.

I haven't found any units that will do this completely.

If you do find and buy one, let us know which one and how it works out.

#85945 June 27th 2006 8:14 am
Retired
Retired
I used the SuperTuner from MicroChips to start with. It has a tow setting and an off road setting. The tow setting can be used with out other mods. Takes about 5 minutes to upgrade your trucks computer and about the same time to put back the standard program when you go in for service. It definitely gave a boost in Torque with a nice addition to HP. Helped a little with mileage, but I bought it for performance not mileage. I'd recommend putting in a gauge to watch your exhaust temp from the turbo. On the 7.3s this should stay below 1000 degrees. If it climbs higher than that I downshift! My van will pull all day and never shift out of overdrive so the guage was a must! The Banks setup included 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back. That also helped the cooling issue. Besides the van turbo being a de-tuned version of what is in the pickups it also does NOT have a waste gate (used to dump exhaust when turbo boost becomes to high). Part of my upgrade (as Superbeast mentioned) was to get a pickup turbo (same outsides) and gut it to add the Banks stuff inside. It also had a wastegate so I was able to also install the Banks pieces there. The last part I have added so far is the transmission box offered by Banks that helps to change shiftpoints. Simple plug and play on that one. One major piece to go and that is the intercooler. No room under the hood in vans so they don't get one of those either. It is used to cool boosted air out of the turbo before it enters engine. Cold air is always a good thing for performance. I'll figure it out one of these days......... I'll have to raid some more pickups to get the intakes for the boosted air since on the van it goes straight from the turbo to the intake. On pickups it goes from turbo to intercooler and then into engine. Hey Ken - Deb doesn't need her manifolds does she? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] This was all done on 7.3 engine, but they have the same stuff for 6.0. Tell them you have an Excursion or pickup........ If you tell them it is for a van many won't sell it to you since it is not indicated to work on them.

#85946 June 27th 2006 7:52 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Is there a way to put an inner cooler behind the bumper, I have a vented bumper to get air to my tranny cooler mounted there.
If AC wasn't important, I'd plumb the rear line to a home made condenser in the airbox.

#85947 June 28th 2006 7:29 am
Madman!
Madman!
The intercooler is the size of a radiator. Plus Bonehead has it all installed in a Late Model Ford, Not the current model. I think we have a bit more room in front of our rads, than he does.

#85948 June 28th 2006 8:50 am
Retired
Retired
Does it look like I have room left here???? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]  - A pic of the crowded engine area. This is the modified pickup turbo, waste dump and pipe.  - Anything is possible. To be affective the cooler needs to be able to lower the temps as much as 200 degrees. There is no air box on the 7.3. You go directly from the turbo to the intake. Not sure on the 6.0. [ June 28, 2006, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: BoneHead ]

#85949 June 28th 2006 11:10 pm
pooh-bah
OP Online Content
pooh-bah
Bonehead, I saw all kinds of room between the top of the engine and the underneath of the hood, you just have to cut a hole to see out of. I think I have a waste gate on the 6.0. Would it be possible (or effective) to run smaller (such as tranny cooler size) intercoolers? Like maybe build a custom front air dam with vents leading to them, or utilize the holes already in the lower bumper section? Would I melt anything they were around? And while I'm at it, Rottela or Synthetic instead of the Ford oil?

#85950 June 29th 2006 6:49 am
Madman!
Madman!
John, You dropped a MINT! You got the engine and dash in there perfectly, what's a little ol intercooler [Big Grin] Starlord; An intercooler is the size of a radiator and needs to be the inlet and exit from it is the size of the turbo intake and exit. The intercooler needs to be able to cool a lot of air quickly. I use Rotella in my van. It costs around $35 in Sams club for 6 gallons. When you need to put 4 gallons in the engine during an oil change, it's hard to buy synthetic every 5000 miles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, Uncle_Fester 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meanmachine), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 125
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746