Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can you really do this?
nikothenomad #680815 February 01st 2015 1:36 am
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Ah, that's cool. I was wondering as we opt to be as stealthy as possible when 'urban camping'. I'll have to consider that option at some point if we have funds to send in that direction.

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
nikothenomad #680816 February 01st 2015 2:26 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Pulling up to a streetside urban location, whipping out the compressor, and airing up one bag to 100 psi takes only a minute, but the compressor is somewhat noisy, even suspended, and there is some frame and brake creaking that goes on.

My strategy recently when on a month long sojourn northward, was to get somewhat close to where I planned on overnighting, and pump both bags upto 100PSI in a parking lot, then drive to my spot, pull the black out curtain behind the front seats, then slowly let out the air in the street side airbag.

Some creaking would still occur, but someone would have to be walking by to notice. I had no issues with the law, and if nearby residents knew I was there, they did not care enough to report me. Early morning I usually drove off, then a short distance later would put return PSi to ~20 drivers side and 10 passenger. 30 days on the road. 1750 miles, A thousand waves ridden. Money spent on accommodation, 0$.
Gotta love vans.

100 PSI in both bags raises the rear end over 4 inches and makes for a real stinkbug stance and the headlamp's hotspot hit the asphalt real close to the bumper. Driving with 100 PSI, the van simply does not lean away from turns. Driving with 100 PSI in only one bag is very noticeable.

The bags must have 5 or 10 PSI in them at all times depending particular kit. I've messed up a few times in this regard without penalty. The bags turn 8 years old this fall, and never lose PSI on their own.

Passengers in the rear likely would find proper leaf springs to ride more comfortable than airbags. Not a factor for me.

Was it you who posted pics of coil springs in between frame and leaf springs in the rear? The Airbags on Dodge's basically go where the bump stops are located, between Axle and frame, just to the side of the spring perch on the axle.

I extended the airbag provided heatshield near my exhaust and had to extend the exhaust 1.5 inches to accommodate full range of movement. I used rivets and an old Pizza tray for the heat shield, and steel cans and many hose clamps to bridge the exhaust extension. I replace the steel cans every 2 years or so. Hunts Spaghetti sauce cans. Last time I even painted it with charcoal grille paint.

Perhaps I'll now get 3 years out of a can smile

Perhaps I should get a real extension welded in.

nikothenomad #680864 February 01st 2015 6:21 pm
C
addict
addict
C
Used to do it with Jeep CJ's all the time. The reason was that it kept the soft factory spring rate which was good for rock climbing but gave you the clearance. It also got rid of the low hanging shock mounts that would catch rocks.
Had to change pinion angles of course and sometimes shim the transfer case...none of that needed for a trailer though!
I might only worry about changing the center of gravity if it is a soft spring rate.

[Linked Image]
nikothenomad #680871 February 01st 2015 8:32 pm
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Good idea to increase psi before you get to your stealth spot and then lower once you are there. Much quieter for sure.

Wasn't me with springs above leafs. Wish it was because I would have simply replaced them when I did the front coils.

I saw an interesting elliptical spring that can go on top of the leaf springs. Wonder how that works. It was interesting.

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747