Print Thread
Rate Thread
AC wiring and parts help
#678598 January 05th 2015 10:49 pm
R
robr Offline OP
OP Offline
R
So after taking my dash apart today I realized my '74 has AC. Does anyone have the wiring diagram and an idea of what I need to get this thing going? I have the under dash unit but nothing for under the hood. Any info is appreciated

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: AC wiring and parts help
robr #678924 January 09th 2015 1:06 am
veteran
veteran
You have a factory A/C dash and an aftermarket evaporator behind the dash. I'm very familiar with these systems and I've never seen the 2 mixed but I bet it would work. The entire firewall portion of the A/C system on these vans goes behind the dash (thats the part you show in the photo) and nothing in the engine compartment except the compressor and brackets and belts. The wiring is "stand alone" meaning its a separate harness from the vehicle harness and runs mostly inside the vehicle too, it gets its power from the power lug on the fire wall just above the battery. These are great systems when functioning properly, they're simple (sort of) and clean looking because they're behind the dash. I just looked at your pics again and noticed you don't have the correct heat / A/C controls you only have heat controls so that's why there's no wiring unless you have the aftermarket controls that mount under the dash. I also noticed in another thread the you have an 1988 or newer motor that might have a serpentine belt unless whoever did the engine swap put the v groove pulleys back on. Your going to have to adapt and need so many things to get this up and running that I would get a 74 - 77 parts van with A/C and swap the entire system over.

Munzvan@aol.com / Runnin Wild Truckers / I never met a van I didn't like.
[Linked Image]
robr #679938 January 20th 2015 1:47 pm
R
robr Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Munz, thanks for the reply. Previous owner rigged a heater switch to bypass heater resistor which was blown. I got a resistor from Napa that was for an A/C van and when I got home it would not even fit in the same spot. I am assuming this van is not factory A/C and that someone put this dash and unit in my van at some point. The motor is an '88-'95 TBI, distributor a '79, and the pulleys are V-groove. Living in Sacramento, having A/C would be very helpful. I will definitely be looking at doing the swap if I can.

robr #680297 January 25th 2015 12:23 am
veteran
veteran
In the non A/C van that resistor is on the firewall over by the door vent on the pass. side. In the (factory) A/C dash that resistor is in the duct work just behind the center vents in the dash. I've been looking for an A/C dash for the last few months and I noticed there are a few guys parting out 77 & pre vans on your side of the country so look around, you'll find one. You can get the pulleys & brackets from 71 to 84 / 85 ish. Good luck keep us posted and if you find a parts van I'm always looking for pre 77 parts, I'm on the hunt for a wiring harness right now.

Last edited by Munz; January 25th 2015 12:23 am.

Munzvan@aol.com / Runnin Wild Truckers / I never met a van I didn't like.
[Linked Image]
robr #680376 January 25th 2015 10:22 pm
R
robr Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Munz, Ill keep my eyes peeled. I went to the local Pick-N-Pull the other day and saw a wrecked '95 G30. It had the same TBI motor that I have AND it had a v-groove pulley setup with all the AC stuff that I would need. I might go yank that stuff off and see if I can get it to work on mine.

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)