Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Eagles Nest
EagleDave #654395 March 03rd 2014 2:39 am
old hand
old hand
Cooooool ideas you got there. And I too like as much metal as possible on my van. So if you can get the metal slider to work as a gullwing then do it. Nice your wife cares enough about the van to put her opinion of what she would like.

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

AdSense long
EagleDave #669717 August 27th 2014 10:32 pm
E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
It has been awhile since I posted an update on Eagles Nest but work has been very busy. While great for making money to buy parts it’s kind of bad for finding time to work on the van. I am working in Roswell NM for another week and a half. Then my wife is flying out to meet me in Albuquerque and we are taking a working vacation through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, and finally back home where I plan on taking a month off to work on Eagles Nest.

Over the last several months I have been collecting parts and have started many projects on the van but haven’t finished any. As most of you know you start one thing that leads to another and another and so on.

I ordered my wheels and tires. I have had to tires for months now. Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Ts 295/50R15 for the rear and 235/60R15 up front on 10s and 8s. I patiently waited on my wheels and they finally arrived. They didn’t fit. Specifically the front wheels wouldn't fit over my stock front calipers. So back they went. I ordered another set from a different manufacturer and the rear two arrived this week and the front two are supposed to arrive next week. I hope they fit. The manufacturer said they should but might not. I have a pic of the rear wheels but I will keep that secret for now.

I found a correct tilt column. I haven’t seen it yet but it’s there waiting.

Also have all the parts (best I could find) for a complete stock brake rebuild and KYB shocks.

I ordered my fender flares, front spoiler, and visor from Mark Hann at vancrazy.com just before Nats. Mark has been kind enough to slow roll my order so they will arrive just before I get home. Thanks Mark.

Oh and I found a set of mirror hoods of eBay. Sorry to anyone I was bidding against but those were an absolute must have for me. I still need to order my mirrors. Note to self: order mirrors.

New shocks, u-joints, carrier bearing, power steering pump rebuild kit, steering box rebuild kit, and other parts I can’t remember right now.

I knew I had a roar in the drive line. I was hoping it was a u-joint but nooooo. It was the pinion bearings in the rear end. So new bearings, 3:42 Richmond Gears, and an Auburn Limited Slip later…. Should work real sweet with the 700 R4 I’m having built to replace the original Turbo 350.

OK for a few pics

My 12 Bolt just out of the van

[Linked Image]

OK I don't think the money spent on new brakes was wasted. I think Sam (the shop cat) agrees

[Linked Image]

Original 2:77 gears with open carrier

[Linked Image]

At my friend Freds shop setting things up

[Linked Image]

Ready to go back in

[Linked Image]

And now it's in

[Linked Image]

And finally the mirror hoods

[Linked Image]

I think these will look way better than the stock mirrors.

Can't wait to get back home and really start having fun... That is after having fun with Suz for a week+ on our vacation.

Eagle Dave

Eagles Nest (1977 Chevy Van)

Member Bama Vans
EagleDave #669739 August 28th 2014 11:05 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Good to hear from you and looks like great progress on the van. Making money is good.
Having a van is like having kids, every time you go to town you gotta bring it back something. laugh
Is it gonna be ready for GSVR?

EagleDave #669764 August 28th 2014 7:18 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Wow! You've gathered a nice bunch of parts. Lookin forward to seeing pics once you get everything on.

EagleDave #669824 August 29th 2014 11:29 am
E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
Hello Catfish

GSVR is a hopeful. It all depends on how fast I get get everything together. I'm sure I wont have any type of interior but that's OK. A big item is if my wheels fit.

Thanks 86ed. I still have a lot more parts that I need/want but I'll get there.

Eagle Dave

Member Bama Vans
EagleDave #673251 October 19th 2014 7:04 pm
E
addict
OP Offline
addict
E
While I won't be winning any awards for the fastest build work is still progressing. Even if much slower than I planned. But no complaints on this end.

First I got some really big boxes from Mark Hann.

[Linked Image]

When I opened the boxes I found some really cool additions for Eagles Nest

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know Eagles Nest needs a bath but with the front suspension stripped out for rebuild you will just have to ignore the dirt.

Thanks to Mark Conard for posting an eBay listing on Facebook I scored a NOS grill. While the humidity got to it over the years and there is some light rust I will have it rechromed in the future. My old grill was bent in a couple of places so new unbent is great.

First some pics of the original grill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is the box the NOS grill came in.

[Linked Image]

And now the NOS grill

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Much Nicer

Well I guess this post is long enough for now so I will save the other updates for later. Hope you guys enjoy the pics.

Eagle Dave

Member Bama Vans
EagleDave #673253 October 19th 2014 8:27 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Looking good Dave..... cheers

[Linked Image]

Proud member: Shenandoah Valley Vans

............" REALITY IS JUST AN ELABORATE ILLUSION"..................

EagleDave #673257 October 19th 2014 9:51 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Progress never moves as fast as you would like. Looking very good! I hope to see your Chevy soon in person. May have to ride over that way.... grin

Last edited by CatFish; October 19th 2014 9:58 pm. Reason: ksfs
EagleDave #673277 October 20th 2014 9:15 am
old hand
old hand
Nice van. I'm lookin forward to seeing it in person next season. Keep up the great work.

[Linked Image]
77 Dodge Tradesman 100
02 GMC Safari panel
75 Chevy G20
Shenandoah Valley Vans
Southeast Van Council
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meanmachine), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 125
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746