Rear Window rust
#669030 August 20th 2014 11:26 pm
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Hello,

I have a 93 G20 conversion van. Does anyone know whats involved to fix the rust under the rear window moldings on van sides (conversion windows). I have minor rust developing and paint is beginning to peel or chip off. Also have 2 little bubbles around same area. Van spent most of its life in CA now residing in NY for last 7 years. So van is pretty solid rust free except for this area. Van is not driven in winter so not subject to salt. Just curious why rust still developed there. Guess caused by moisture. Seems to be a common rust spot on these vans no matter if they spent most their life or entire life in a sunshine state. Thanks for any suggestions, I really want to fix this problem area.

Re: Rear Window rust
notchback #669032 August 20th 2014 11:40 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
I took the windows out of a old conversion van years ago, and the hole that was cut for the windows did not have paint on the cut edges. . . . I ASSUME that other companies did the same, and that is the cause of the rust in that area.

as for fixing the rust, I am not much help, sorry, but someone will be along with some good advice I am sure.

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
Re: Rear Window rust
notchback #669041 August 21st 2014 2:52 am
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents
Back when I had my '70 Westfalia, I pulled the windshield and the rear quarter windows to do some paint work and found rust on all the lower edges of the window frames.
I wire-wheeled it off (some of the area around the windshield was pitted, but none of it was all the way through), applied some Permatex 81775 rust treatment(RT-8A), and then painted over the area (which was the purpose of the project anyway).

It worked well for my situation, but I was able to remove my windows and treat the whole area.
If you are able to remove yours, I would recommend this method because it's fairly easy, it's inexpensive, and it works.
If you can't remove your windows...
I really don't know what to tell you because you really need to treat the source, which as Uncle_Fester said, is likely to be that unpainted, cut edge.
Besides, If there's rust peeking out from behind the seals, there's likely to be much more underneath the seal that you can't see.
(My VW never looked rusty around the seals. It was all underneath.)

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (soundhd), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746