Rate Thread
SUPER SOMER 8
#668988 August 20th 2014 12:02 pm
Knighty Offline OP

Knews Anchorman
OP Offline

Knews Anchorman
SUPER SOMER 8
How long have we been attending van events at Somers CT ? In looking at my dash plaque display I see that we went to Boogie Bash in 1988 and have attended ever since.. The event was renamed Super Somer years later when the event was taken up by Altruk Vanners. It has always remained one of our favorite van events...And as the years went by weather was less than perfect, causing some of us to call the run Boogie Splash, and then Super Soaker...This years event can only be called perfect !

We were initially disappointed to see that the potato vendor was not present , but when we discovered the other food vendor our dining problems were all solved... We tried quite a few items, and it was all good...In addition there was another vendor doing hotdogs, fried dough, ect..We hope these guys will be there again next year....As will we !!

Jeff told me recently that Lucy and I no-longer walk around at night and visiting other sites....He is right ! Our new system is that we go down to vendors row, grab a table and stay there for the night...Sooner or later everyone will come by and we get to see them..Some folks we see only once or twice.. For example I well remember spending many hours at the shrimp guys booth in years past and there was always a crowd there.

There were all the usual things happening..The van show, the light show, all the games and hoopla... Our group, Artie,Gail,Jim ,Linda, Lucy and I were camped up in our usual corner.

WE found many things to our liking...the event shirts, the fliers, and the people who we seldom get to see...Hi there Johnny O ! I am no great expert on music but my sources tell me that Saturdays band was better than Fridays.....Sounded OK to me , but then we were outside of the band building...The weather was perfect and a pleasant surprise from past years...There WAS a warning of possible hail Thursday evening, but it failed to materialize...BUT I hasten to say the event was not yet officially open...

But then it was time to go and we packed up , said goodby to our friends and headed south for an hour until we got to the giant flea market at the Mansfield drive-in...It was packed !We spent several hours looking around, got hot-dogs and birch beer at the food booth , and then headed north again on Rt 32 which I have named the Deuce Highway...Stafford Springs, Palmer MA, Northampton , Greenfield where we used to attend Family Affair, across the Mohawk Trail, went by the Washington County Fairgrounds where I understand there is a great truck-in on Memorial Day...`And on we go...

WE stopped for an evening meal at Scotty's Truck stop at exit 16 off the Northway where we met up with fellow club member Lester Croft who we will be seeing in a few weeks at the Lake George show....We will be taking up site 13 at the Battleground campsite starting this Sunday..You'll find us at times sitting in lawn chairs along the road, enjoying some refreshing beverages, and watching the customs and rods run up and down the hill...

WE finally arrived back in Saranac Lake at 10:30 ....

Next stop- Keystone Madness - Sept 19-22- at Summit Station PA. See ya' there !....TIETIS.

Last edited by Knighty; August 20th 2014 12:07 pm.

Knighty
Re: SUPER SOMER 8
Knighty #669125 August 22nd 2014 12:20 pm
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I only mentioned the walking about as I was concerned about them.I wasnt trying to insult anyone.

1994 Dodge-Tannenbaum 1976 Chevy-dragonheart 1965 Ford-Screamin Eagle 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747