Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My Humble Opinion As To Vanning After Being Absent For 25 YEARS:
Puzzele #666909 July 24th 2014 6:35 pm
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
They did have that this year...on Saturday in the same field where the show was for the trophies on Friday. If I remember the story..he did that. The issue was, because he wasn't known to someone on the inside who could guide him around, show him the cool places and introduce him to people who own those beautiful VANs, there seemed to be an issue.

I have seen Vanners who are in attendance at an eVANt have guests come in for a few hours..they usually pay an 'extra' fee, all eVANts have that, and then leave after a determined amount of time. That is usually worked out with the host club ahead of time and they are aware of the situation and the Vanner becomes responsible for the actions of their guest.

THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE WAY to bring in people interested in seeing the so-called 'inner sanctum'. The true definition of that is, our campsites, which are our homes for the week. I have know many that brought guests with a tent with them to see what we are about, they remained for the entire eVANt and many now have their own Vans!

I must say that if you were a Vanner 25 years ago and knew then how it works, you would know now how it works also and would have found a VAN in order to attend...somehow, someway.

I would like to offer an option to the soapbox I got on here...and that is....

to bring this issue up through a Council at the Council of Council meeting in Denver next February. It is at that eVANt where discussions of 'how to make it better' or 'how to get new people interested' are talked about. Good news, you don't need a VAN to attend..hotel party. Bad news is, you need to be member of a council willing to approach this topic.

So, time to find people to join up with and discuss. The Council of Council may be newer to some of the 'returning' Vanners, but we have used it well.

Last edited by Suzie-BGfNY-IN; July 24th 2014 7:32 pm. Reason: a solution to get the issue heard with the powers that be!

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
AdSense long
Puzzele #666922 July 24th 2014 10:43 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Sorry, but Mr Puzzelle is putting himself above vanning.

That is not what vanning is about. It's about a community of people with a common interest- vans - and a gathering of those people and there vans to enjoy each other's company.

It's not hard to get a van. You don't even have to rent one, Mr Puzzele has been on this forum since October 2013, and was a vanner 25 years ago. All that would have been required is a little preparation, and a request of a small favor. It would be worded like this:

"Hey, it looks like even though I found my old van, it's not going to be in a condition I feel comfortable driving 8 hours. If someone can meet up with me near the Nats, so I may ride in with them and camp I would be more than willing to share the costs so that maybe I can find some old and new friends!"

I sure someone would have been willing and able to help.

Gregg Groff

The right to bear vans

65 ChevyVan Pontiac OHC 6/TH2004R
68 ChevyVan 108 454/4L80E
86 Dodge "Yeah, it's got a 318"
83 ChevyVan Shorty- B2%B Pt II
Puzzele #666925 July 25th 2014 6:32 am
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
Next year will be our 43 Van Nationals.
This van event one of the few "Vans Only" van events left.
Here in the mid Atlantic area there are events that allow pick ups in to there events.
How ever the Van Nationals Is just that the Van Nationals.
Unfortunately I have had to set the last two National events out due to an incident I had with my van.
I was able to attend the nationals for 8 consecutive years.After taking a 10 year break from the Van/2% life style.
Here is MY opinion:
Allowing the public into out events can be a double edged and very sharp sword.
while it might be good to allow the public fresh blood in to see what vans and our life style is all about.The big down side is the problem allowing the public into an event can bring.
Theft and the safety of our little heads.Is a huge concern.
How many public car/truck shows can you attend and say.I left my van open my expensive camera laying out,my kids hung out with other kids and every thing was safe.
Not many, if any at all.
It has taken vanners 42 years to built this very cozy sense of security up.There are alot of vanners out there who would hate to lose this for the sake of allowing the public into the Van Nationals.
can there be changes made?
MAYBE
Most national events are held on fair grounds large enough.That there could be a "public" area at the event.
the van shows could be held in this area. Clubs vendors that want to help promote our life style (one that is to me worth promoting) along with the cool vans we drive.Could park in this area.
While this sounds easy to do ,it is some thing Van National event host clubs/councils have not felt the need to spend the extra time money and effort.To do at a National event.
It would take a good bit of all three for mentioned items to pull allowing the public on the same grounds off.
Another BIG problem with allowing the public in is the liability factor.IF something would happen to a public entrant who paid an admission through the gate.Would changing the rules to make it easy for the public to come in be worth it ?
That is a very dark scary road most hosts really do not want to venture down.
The way our National events are setup now we know who are guests are.
As long as they have access to ice decent food a decent place to park.They are very happy, easy to take care of,gracious,Fun to work with guests.

........Wookee Public Relations Officer
............Vintage Chevy Van Club

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
Puzzele #666929 July 25th 2014 7:02 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
What Joe said!
Also it's hard to have a good time while looking over your shoulder.
One of the most worrisome situations I can think of is a "guest" wandering the Nationals with a camera. Pictures have been aired in the past, pictures taken out of context, that have affected vanning. Some of these "guests" may care more for the number of youtube views they get than they care for vanning.

Puzzele #666930 July 25th 2014 7:05 am

Vanthropologist

Vanthropologist
One way to make van events more accessible would be to allow the public in to the Friday show n shine as well. The past 2 years both the Friday and Saturday public show have been in the same area. Friday is the day when we need easier access to the show. I invited Dan from Hemmings to come to the show Friday and due to cel issues (maybe user on my part) he was almost turned away. We can't allow the public free reign on the rest of the Nats grounds though.
If you do make pre arrangements with people you know at a van event you should have no issues getting in if they will vouch for you. proper communication is a key to this. Between 1997 and 2000 I didn't have a van but that didn't stop me from attending 6 events as far away as California including 2 Nationals.

Virtual #666933 July 25th 2014 9:06 am
old hand
old hand
So basically its a closed family reunion. The rules are too strict and alot of the people involved are just plain WEIRDO people.

I mean who in their right mind would want to be involved in a scene where people act this way?
Its like a small weird cult.
It makes vanning look bad and strange to outsiders
Although it seems nice and homey to you.
thats not going to do anything to future vanners but make them
not want to be involved
The whole
"we are too good for anyone" attitude is played out for real man and the excuses ..please. nobody is gonna steal your camera, if you are that paranoid, lock it in the van like a normal person at a show
yo puzzelle? did you sell the van?
or are you hangin tough?
Lets make vanning look even worse
nice!!!
the stigmas are bad enough, now we have weirdos and elitists making it impossible to make it seem like a cool club type thing.
ahh whatever

Last edited by MACE; July 25th 2014 9:12 am.
Puzzele #666936 July 25th 2014 9:44 am
M
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
M
Hey Dorkside, for a non vanner you sure think you know a lot about how a truck-in works, but in reality you know nothing. You have never been to a run yet you think you have ideas to make them better. Lets hear some ideas after you go and know what you are speaking of....

[Linked Image]
Puzzele #666937 July 25th 2014 9:50 am
Last year, a two-toned 2nd gen Chevy rolled into the 41st Nats. The owner, "Banana Boat" Dave, parked that beauty with our club. He didn't know us, or of us. He heard that Truck-ins were still going on, so he got in his van and came out. There are dash plaques in that van dating back to the 2nd National Truck-in. He'd been away for over 20 years as well. He doesn't own a computer and knows nothing of vanning on the internet. He was with us again this year.

Three club members made the 42nd their first Nats, in earlies. Two more "walked in" a camped with us. Amie and I flew to Albany and borrowed a van from a club member.

If you want to come to the Nats, it's not complicated. It's upsetting to hear that someone has trouble or gets turned away. Of course we don't want that. If you want to be there, we want you there; but there's not much we ask. Have a van or have someone claim you.

Puzzele #666940 July 25th 2014 10:33 am
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
No paranoia at all just facts.
There is a little some thing else about this life style we are all in involved in here.
It is a self cleaning life style.You ether get it, or you don't.
If you get it it can be a life time of good times ,good friends.If you don't no real explanation necessary

Mace there are quite a few van events in the state of Florida.
Find one make an honest attempt to attend Then you can see if you get it of you don't.

"The stigmas are bad enough, now we have weirdos and elitists making it impossible to make it seem like a cool club type thing"

Coming from some body who video tapes himself chasing lizards around.
The other elitists and weirdos in Florida might find you very entertaining........

......Wookee

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members