Western NY Van Association
by vistacruiser - March 14th 2024 10:24 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Mlarky's Dodge....gonna keep her after all.
mlarky #666761 July 23rd 2014 12:33 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!!!! A white tail dear at 65 mph does a lot of damage. It was dark, on a curve, couldn't see it until just before I sent it flying. Front end is trashed. Nothing structural, luckily. But the grille is smashed, the panel blow it is bent, the left corner lights, the bumper is twisted, all need replacement.

So frustrating. Trying to keep the van nice. A tree has fallen on it. This makes the second deer to do damage. The first literally ran into the drivers door a block from home. A customer at my work clipped the passenger front a couple months ago , now this. Seems like one step forward, 2 steps back. My poor van....

As for the A/C, I did all the work myself, replaced the O-rings, new compressor, dryer and filter. Then it was checked for leaks. So there are none. The blower fan doesn't blow all that well, even on high. Didn't when I bought it. Replaced the blower resistor, no change. Wonder about a new blower motor. Maybe it's just old and weak? I like the modern condenser idea. I'll research it. I also seem to have a vacuum leak, since it only blows through the vents on max setting. Maybe that has something to do with the performance as well?

Starlord, I work at the Boerne Auto Zone store, where I am a Parts Sales Manager. (That's about 20 miles north of San Antonio for those of you who might not know).

The grille is an 83 plastic model. Didn't know they made a metal grille? The only metal on mine is the headlight bezels. The chrome on it is faded, although I had hoped it would polish out. It will have to do until I can locate a better one. Guess now I need it more than ever since the deer destroyed mine.

AdSense long
mlarky #666795 July 23rd 2014 11:23 am
Maniac
Maniac
After the mid 70, all stock Dodge van grilles were plastic. You might check the heater fan switch. they can degreade internally leading to corrosion buildup and increased resistance. If you have the electrical know-how, it is worth it to install relays and use the fan switch to just trigger the relays.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
mlarky #666863 July 24th 2014 10:21 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Thanks for the switch info Reed. Heading to Pick N Pull on Monday for the bumper and other parts I need to get the van back to looking nice again.

mlarky #667206 July 28th 2014 6:14 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Just back from Pick N Pull yet again. My son went with me this time, to help and find some pieces for his 5.0 Ranger pickup project. He was a huge help! Would have stayed longer and gotten more but the lack of funds and the heat kept me from doing that. I made some great buys though!! They had bunch of "new" vans in their inventory. Saw so many neat pieces, it was hard to chose which ones to get. ( Psst...I went over budget...don't tell the wife!!) Should have taken my camera, after thought...

First off, I found everything I needed to fix the deer damage. Got the bumper, the valance and I found another nice '83 4 headlight grille. I was able to exchange the first one I bought for a better condition piece. Glad I got the "warranty" on it. Our Pick N Pull will even exchange if you find a better part! How cool is that? While there I got the wiring pigtails to do the conversion from 2 to 4 headlights. Forgot to get those last trip.

I saw 4 consoles I liked. Bought 2. One is a basic but decent condition console with switches. Thinking someone with a Dodge van could use it. It was just too nice to let it go to the crusher. Another was a shallow piece with 4 switches, basic with a nice front, but not what I was looking for. The one I am keeping goes across the front and angles at the sides. One switch panel, 2 storage compartments, with potential for putting the stereo and CB in. Quite a score for $20! I might add a center section like T shape, not sure. I have dreamed of a T shape with angled sides. Put the stereo and CB in the console, with added gauges ( tach, vacuum, trans temp) in the dash in place of the radio. Needs a little refurbishing, but otherwise decent. If nothing else, I have the patterns to make a new one. Grabbed the visors since they went with it. The last console I saw was plastic or fiberglass, not sure. Sturdy, Covered, went across, curved at the center and angled towards the driver for switches then back to the front line. Nice piece! Might have bought that had I seen it first. So many nice pieces, some of the vans had really nice interiors! Saw a 94 Dodge van shorty there with a nice interior in good shape. Couldn't see why it was in the salvage yard to begin with. Saw 2 mid Dodges that could be resurrected. Hope I can find some money to make a return trip soon, and grab some of the things I saw for others to enjoy, before they go to the crusher.

I also scored a great condition engine cover piece/console with compartments. Only seen these on Dodges. I have one but the center pivot for the ash tray and another storage compartment is broken, It's plastic. Seems to be a common breaking point on them, also on the ones I've seen in the past. Last one I saw on Ebay went for $140! I got this one for $32! It's grey, so I will repaint it to match my interior scheme. I also got a new gauge cluster cover in good shape for $12. Mine had broken clips and it rattles.

For the dash I found the carved wooden pieces that go over the gauges and the lower piece that goes all the way across. Both need sanding re-varnishing, but otherwise nice pieces. Got those for $10 each. I have another one found last year that covers the gauges, needs sanding and varnish to make it nice again. Anyone interested?

Another nice grab was a light panel that goes from the the front seats, and goes almost all the way back with rope lights inside, with beautiful wood trim. From the same van I got the wood trim that goes across where the roof ribs are begins at the front of the light panel and the rear. Think I will match the stain and varnish for the rest of the wood trim inside. Gonna look so nice!

Did a quick check of the Ford and Chevy sections, since there was a lot of new inventory there today. Saw a couple of 2nd gen Fords and Chevys that had potential. They maybe had a few dents but none were rusted through. Didn't see any 1st gen vans. Next time I will take the camera, and maybe I can help one of you find something you want or need.

Well, off to fix the front end damage. More soon along with pics I can post.

mlarky #667207 July 28th 2014 7:13 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
sounds like you got some nice things. i find it hard to keep from grabbin too much stuff from the wrecking yards.

mlarky #667223 July 28th 2014 9:33 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Which Pic N Pull do you go to? I never seem to have much luck at that one way over around Roosevelt. Sounds like you got some good stuff. Saw some of the rear chrome trim rings once for Dodge tail lights, decided to go back and get them and the van was gone. My Ford has a new issue.....little battery light is coming on and I guess the alt. is fixing to go bad, changed it already once a few years ago. Oh well, the joys of mechanics.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
mlarky #667242 July 29th 2014 4:57 am
J
old hand
old hand
J
Wow you certainly scored on all that stuff!

UK member of Nova Vans and
California Street Vans
Starlord #667267 July 29th 2014 10:46 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Starlord, I usually go to the Pick N Pull on Applewhite rd, I go Loop 410 to Hwy 16 south, turn left at the next light. Been to the one on Roosevelt. Rarely had luck with them. I've been wanting the chrome tail light rings too, but all the ones i see are pitted.

As for the battery light, may well be the alternator. Could be a loose, corroded or dirty connection. Basically the light says the system isn't charging properly. Best bet, check and clean all connections. If that doesn't fix it, pull the alternator and bench test it at Auto Zone. It's free. Best check it before you also get to replace the battery. Bring it to my store in Boerne.

Last edited by mlarky; July 29th 2014 10:47 am.
mlarky #667303 July 29th 2014 6:19 pm
old hand
old hand
Where da pics at?

Shenandoah Valley Vans / South East Van Council

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery