Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
My Humble Opinion As To Vanning After Being Absent For 25 YEARS:
#666796 July 23rd 2014 11:45 am
Puzzele Offline OP
OP Offline
I happily attended the public van show at the July, 2014, Van Nationals held in Greenwich, NY. It was the first van show I attended in 25 years. Indeed, here is quick newbie slideshow I put together of some photos I took:
http://youtu.be/7KIs3Npq3m4

After returning home from the Van Nationals, I have read NUMEROUS posts about “invited guests” having difficulty entering the inner-premises despite those “invited” being zealous automobile enthusiasts, writers, heavily involved with various clubs, dealerships, etc., because they themselves did not have a van in their possession at the time.

Respectfully, I don’t want to piss anybody off (which I evidently have an uncanny ability to do), but I suppose I should add my two cents to the situation as a some-what objective ‘outsider’ who has been absent for the past 25 years. Please view this posting as feedback and please do NOT view it as negative criticism. It is merely my humble view.

Long story short: I have a 74 Van called “Cloud Dancer.” I’m the guy that owned the van 25 years ago but recently tracked it down sitting in a barn and bought it back – why exactly, I’m not sure. ;) Anyway, I chickened out and didn’t drive the van the 8 hours required to get to/from the 2014 Van Nationals particularly since I don’t even have the automotive skill to change the oil and I wasn’t sure my van could make the schlep. Hence, I missed work, rented a hotel and visited the public showing. This was the first van show I’ve attended in 25 years and sadly there was no way possible for me to pay a fee and walk around inside the event to take a quick look, see possible old friends, visit the vendors (since I’m in the market for a sun visor), etc. Admittedly, I didn’t really think anything of it at the time since that is exactly how I remembered it from 25 years ago.

However, after returning home, I have seen NUMEROUS postings on facebook/etc where vanners invited other automobile enthusiasts to the van show and even got pre-approval evidently weeks in advance only to discover that said individuals were not necessarily welcome because their particular vehicle did not meet the criteria. The response to this situation that I keep seeing online is that “The guidelines have been in place for many years.” This I find disconcerting. Respectfully, if you ask me, claiming that the “guidelines have been in place for many years” is indeed all the more reason why perhaps one should reconsider revising the guidelines. Imagine if I walked into a courtroom and said, “Judge, we have discriminated against these minorities for many years… so why change now?” To me, that is not a wise position particularly when one factors in the numerous unique circumstances that each vanning enthusiast has. Plus, like it or not, the vanning world is getting smaller so perhaps change is necessary. And when I use the word “change,” I really mean to say “improvement.”

Here is my humble suggestion from a schmuck who has only attended ONE vanning show in 25 years and who ADMITTEDLY probably knows less than anybody else on the subject: Amend the guidelines that have “been in place for many years.” Specifically, for the very unique circumstances where perhaps an automobile enthusiast, a writer or perhaps some schmuck like me who just drove hours/hotel/missed work, very much wants to look around inside/visit the vendors/etc, I suggest allowing people to bring to the show their license and registration proving ownership of a van which will allow them to walk around the grounds/visit the vendors for a few hours and/or have a “guest pass” where you can allow a paid vanner to vouch for another person to enter the premises for a few hours. If recollection serves me correctly, this is similar to how an attorney gains admission to argue before the Supreme Court of the United States – another admitted attorney much vouch for them. Feel free to charge a fee for the “guest” pass. No problem. Perhaps give them a different color wrist band which will notify the security that said “guests” have to leave by a certain time.

I can honestly say this: Vanners are insanely friendly and helping folks. This has not changed one iota even though I have admittedly been gone for 25 YEARS. Indeed, within 24 hours of my re-purchasing “Cloud Dancer,” I astoundingly had several vanners (who had absolutely NO idea who I was), go out of their way to meet me and/or help with the van. Seriously. That is INSANELY AMAZING! Likewise, when I attended the show in Greenwich, NY, I had numerous vanners approach me and introduce themselves when they noticed my goofy “Cloud Dancer” t-shirt. Even the girl I brought with me to the van show, who knew absolutely nothing about vans and had never seen anything like it before, complimented everybody by saying, “These people are even crazier about vans than you.”

However, when it comes to attending the inner sanctum of vanning shows (as described above), I humbly suggest that it is time for a new approach (i.e. “improvement”). Respectfully, me trying to look around inside after I drove 8 hours, got a hotel, took the day off from work, etc, made me feel like a criminal for trying to ‘sneak in’ instead of having a warm welcome and being appreciated. There is no doubt that vanning has gotten smaller over the past 25 years. Perhaps the within issue has something to do with it?

Again, with absolutely no disrespect intended to the vanning community, even if you ignore my above suggestion, I suspect the vanning world will still suffer. Why? Because, like it or not, if you don’t make the process of gaining admission for “guests” and/or legitimate van owners (via proof using their registration) a friendlier process, what will happen? I see only two likely outcomes:
1. People will get pissed off and attendance will eventually dwindle. Vendors will likewise lose sales. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, vanners not inviting others (such as writers, enthusiasts, etc) wherein I have already seen NUMEROUS people make this declaration online after having their invitees be ‘rejected’ despite weeks of preparation.
2. People/guests will sneak-in the show anyway and the vanning community will lose money. Specifically, either vanners will drive in/out of the show smuggling passengers and/or people will simply sneak in. It is a van show, people. It is not Fort Knox.

In a nutshell, anybody can criticize. The key is coming up with solutions. Hence, to reiterate, here are my two humble suggestions to expeditiously resolve the issue:
1. Allow anybody who presents a license and registration proving ownership of a van, a “guest” admittance into the premises for a few hours. This way, at a minimum, they can visit the vendors/friends/etc. They simply didn’t drive their van there – perhaps for reasons like mine where the van was sitting in a barn for 25 years. Charge them a fee.
2. Allow a PAID vanner to vouch for guests. Said vanner can go to the entrance gate with the “guest” wherein said guest(s) can then purchase a “guest” pass for a few hours to walk around/etc. People shouldn’t be forced to smuggle others in. You are only losing money and, perhaps worse, comradery among vanners. Indeed, I had several friendly vanners who I met at the Nationals who were legitimately unaware of any solution how I could gain entrance despite them knowing my unique circumstances.

Hence, I leave the rest to you folks who know a hell of a lot more about this stuff than a “re-newbie” like me. Feel free to do what you want with this posting – or ignore it entirely – or repost it wherever you like. However, I’m honestly not interested in debates or whatnot. Vanning is FUN. Unfortunately, gaining entrance to the inner sanctum of the show wasn’t and perhaps that should “improve.”

Respectfully Submitted,

Christopher M. Puzzele, Esq.
A “Re-newbie” Vanning Enthusiast

PS: And yes, theoretically speaking, I did leave with a visor for my 74 that I was looking for from one of the inside vendors. Those who know my story shouldn’t be surprised at my persistence. :P

AdSense long
Re: My Humble Opinion As To Vanning After Being Absent For 25 YEARS:
Puzzele #666810 July 23rd 2014 3:05 pm
H
enthusiast
enthusiast
H
The short answer is we would have preferred you to have shown up with Cloud Dancer. The cool thing is that it is all vans. To have just some vans, is the Walmart parking lot. I had just gotten my engine/tranny/complete wiring harness swap, done a day before the 2013 Nationals and so I was hesitant to go. I could have easily and safely driven there in one of my 6 other non-van vehicles but that's not what its all about. Show up in a van or Stay home. After you make the drive in your 40 year old van, you will appreciate how many others did the same thing.

1992 Chevy G20, 110" wheelbase, Mark III conversion, L31/4L80e swap, Express wiring harness.
Puzzele #666836 July 23rd 2014 11:25 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Puzzele, I think the main thing that creates the problem that you refer to is that pretty much every one feels free to leave all of there stuff open and out in the open for all to see. When it is "Vanners" only, every one feels pretty safe in doing this since to most of us it would be inconceivable to steal from a fellow vanner. If you open it to anybody, I think things would start vanishing. However.....that said, I don't see a problem with an actual vanner coming in without said van (note, I'm not saying driving something in the gate that's not approved)and I believe in the past non van vehicles were allowed to park outside the gate and the vanners allowed to come in with paid admission. I know that one year our son and his wife came up to a Ohio Nats and we went to the gate and brought him in. I think I'll quit now before I start rambling, just wanted to post to this.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
Puzzele #666891 July 24th 2014 3:34 pm
Starlord hit the nail on the head. There is massive trust within the vanning community. To have people with "visitor passes" on site while you are off with your van at the show n shine, will begin to erode that ability to trust.

Now, our club had two members show up this year without vans (well, 4 if you count Amie and I). They left their vehicles at the gate and slept in vans of members who brought campers. There is a way in without a van, but a club needs to vouch for you at the gate. If I had to wake up and see a Prius parked next to me at the National Truck-In, the magic of it all would disappear.

I know it's about the people as much as, if not more than the vans; but the vans are what brought us all together in the first place.

On the other side of the fence, if I were curious about this vanning world and was allowed entrance to what amounted to a Wal-Mart parking lot, I wouldn't feel so compelled to be part of it. From the outside, what we have looks special because it is. It's also the problem our country is experiencing. Everyone wants in, but no one wants to assimilate.

End of borderline political rant...

Last edited by VCVCSmiley; July 24th 2014 3:35 pm.
Puzzele #666902 July 24th 2014 5:38 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
There is an incredibly simple solution to this dilemmna....

Rent a van.

Uhaul, Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, all rent vans. Might have to pull in with a mini-van, but it's still welcome.

The VAN is your all-access-pass.

Gregg Groff

The right to bear vans

65 ChevyVan Pontiac OHC 6/TH2004R
68 ChevyVan 108 454/4L80E
86 Dodge "Yeah, it's got a 318"
83 ChevyVan Shorty- B2%B Pt II
Puzzele #666903 July 24th 2014 5:50 pm
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Love that idea Gregg!

I read this post on the first day and was quite dumbfounded by it. I tried to remember when it was that the general public could come in to the show and then attend the vendor's row area and then leave. I couldn't come up with a Nats that had done it that way...unless it was before '88 (my first Nats), or at smaller eVANts and the host club made the choice themselves.

But, in order to experience the Nationals the way it should be, you do need to get a VAN, get in the gate, get a camping area, get out and see some Vanners, get to know some Vans, get some stuff from the vendors, then on the last day, get the heck out of town to repack so you can do it again!

As far as allowing the public to view the show and shine, the Nats has been doing something to appease those that want to come and view nearly each year. If those people were allowed into the eVANt, they would be strangers and not received well at all....especially should something/anything go awry! But, my question with that is...what would they be contributing to the eVANt? A small purchase at a vendor helps the vendor, but not the host to pay the bills. A car of any kind would not be welcome because that is not what we are about.

I must mention here that I did see a long established VAN club that had very few VANs inside the gate here. There were 5th wheelers all around and I was noticing that I would rather be looking at 8 VANs in that space than even one 5th wheeler, to many, they were not Vanning anymor. My question about it is..why weren't they parked near the gate where the RVs were with space? Without the pickups to tow them, they really are only RVs! Not a one was pulled by a VAN! This was my ONLY complaint about this years Nats!

The 'who/what' can be allowed in will go on...and probably not be resolved to satisfy all, but we do the best we can with what we know has worked and that keeps us going...so...

VAN ON!

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
Puzzele #666905 July 24th 2014 6:04 pm
old hand
old hand
At the risk of getting banned from van ins, I must say that treating a dude (who was involved in vanning 25 years ago and and is still rollin today) like he is the owner of a civic is shitty man...And this guy found his van after all that time and owns it now. I read the story and thats what makes a vanner.
Not letting him in after a long flight to walk around is foul man
I saw other vehicles in there besides vans.
IMO vanning needs a change and with new vanners things will change

That being said, I like the history involved and the
coolness of passing down a way of life
This time the rules could have been bent
juss sayin
The real solution is start a new thing
dvc

Last edited by MACE; July 24th 2014 6:07 pm.
Puzzele #666906 July 24th 2014 6:17 pm
M
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
M
Says the dorkside from floraDUH . rolleyes

[Linked Image]
Puzzele #666907 July 24th 2014 6:23 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I will throw my two cents in. I have never been to a van event, and, due to job constraints, likely never will. However, I think there is a fundamental tension in the policy and desires of the modern van movement. Old time vanners and younger vanners wanting to be like the old-time vanners kind of want evants to be like exclusive clubs where only people with vans get in the inner sanctum and can hang out with the cool kids. At the same time people want to spread the word about vanning and get more people atending evants. Well, one sure way to keep people from attending evants is to not let them in.

If attendees want to make a special camping area that is off limits to anyone except the trusted folks who are known to the van community, fine. But if you want to attract new blood to the life then there should be an area for showing off all the custom vans that is basically a show area open to all. Otherwise, people will have repeats of Puzzele's experience. Magazine qwriters or even everyday people might be interested in vans and show up to a show only to be turned away from the exciting part of the show because they aren't already a member of the van club. Not a good way to spread vanning.

Take my opinion for what it is worth since I am a purely keyboard vanner.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 18 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rich11304, Maggpratt89, theGiggityGig, B150 SHIFT head, Gruff
12716 Registered Users