1987 G20 Gypsy
by MufflerMan Mike - April 18th 2024 3:53 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best way to connect side pipes, to achieve best flow for high performance engines.
383DodgeSacrilege #664822 June 28th 2014 1:19 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I also like the way Pat said to do it. That's the way I'll do it whenever I get some side pipes

Re: Best way to connect side pipes, to achieve best flow for high performance engines.
383DodgeSacrilege #664839 June 28th 2014 11:24 am
old hand
old hand
Hey 383 I am glad they work for you.

Phoenix thanks for the comments. I never thought of my van being a popsicle.
Dude, your bad ass looking van was one of the top vans of my like list. The creativeness of the paint job I thought was so cool!!!

I am not installing the cross over. It runs great!!

I had a '74 Challenger that I installed a 340 out of a 73 Duster. After I was done it was running 30 over 11:1 with fully ported heads. I mean more money went into the motor then the car. Well I was running full headers into 2 1/2 pipes through hemi mufflers w/o a cross over and after 6 months of everyone telling me I need the crossover. I did it and guess what, I didn't feel a difference, but the sound was different. A little throatier.

As for the other set up everyone else is talking about, it sounds cool, but with a motor under 300 horses I really don't need full headers and larger then 2" pipes. I mean a van to me is to cruise or tow not drag race. So with the pipes the way I have them the exhaust cools so discoloring is not happening and no one has burned themselves on them. Cover really works!! The guy who did the exhaust didn't have a hard time installing them the way I wanted from the mag. It was the first time he had done it that way, but he saw the positives and simplicity of installing. It also frees up room for a water tank, dual batteries or what ever I want between the body and frame rail. There's no pipes and mufflers in my way.
The cool thing about having a van, there is no right or wrong way, just personal preference!!

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

383DodgeSacrilege #664858 June 28th 2014 5:52 pm
old hand
old hand
But he has a Chevy 383 stroker in it, and he was asking the best way to install for max performance. I would say 2" tubing with 2 or 3 90-degree bends is hardly the best for performance.

Matt K.
Flyin' Dutchmen Vans, Lancaster PA
1989 GMC Safari Cargo
[Linked Image]
keystonekid1978 #664860 June 28th 2014 6:35 pm
old hand
old hand
I was talking about my set up. I did not feel that I needed to go over board with larger mandrel bent pipes!

As for the 383 stoker it's a revving motor like the 340 which produces power in the mid to high RPM. So I went with 2 1/2 pipe. All bends were mandrel and hemi mufflers.

I am sure when he does his set up he will use mandrel bent 2 1/2 pipe which can be used in the same set up I did and get great performance. Smoother bends and larger pipe will be a hell of a lot better then the "U" set up they try to sell.

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

383DodgeSacrilege #664866 June 28th 2014 8:28 pm
old hand
old hand
Gotcha. I agree that headers and large tubing are unnecessary on stock, low-hp engines and the traditional method of hooking up side pipes will work just fine in that application, but when you are talking 300+ hp I'd be looking for better flow than what the Patriot brand pipes provide (small 2-2.25" inlet).

Matt K.
Flyin' Dutchmen Vans, Lancaster PA
1989 GMC Safari Cargo
[Linked Image]
Pat ALTRUK #666711 July 22nd 2014 4:43 pm
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pat ALTRUK
I know I've mentioned this in the past, What a vanner in my club would do with his side pipes is. (1) Run headers to flow master under the van like normal. (2) Bend the exhaust pipe out to where the side pipes ends. (3) Cut a hole in the back of the side pipes. (4) Run exhaust though hole in back of side pipes, now you have a clean and free exhaust that sounds great and know one knows the difference. Also side pipes will not get hot or rust / tarnish from the heat.

I think this seems like the best set up for what I'm doing! Thank you guys for all the input. I like all the different idea's of how to make these side pipes flow the best!

[Linked Image]
Pat ALTRUK #666721 July 22nd 2014 5:54 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Originally Posted by Pat ALTRUK
I know I've mentioned this in the past, What a vanner in my club would do with his side pipes is. (1) Run headers to flow master under the van like normal. (2) Bend the exhaust pipe out to where the side pipes ends. (3) Cut a hole in the back of the side pipes. (4) Run exhaust though hole in back of side pipes, now you have a clean and free exhaust that sounds great and know one knows the difference. Also side pipes will not get hot or rust / tarnish from the heat.

........excellent advice.... yay

[Linked Image]

Proud member: Shenandoah Valley Vans

............" REALITY IS JUST AN ELABORATE ILLUSION"..................

383DodgeSacrilege #668416 August 13th 2014 5:19 pm
stranger
stranger
Some good info here. If you are running a mopar small block 318, 340, or 360 and it has some mods making 300 hp, I suggest a few things: Get a set of ram horn shorty headers if you can fit them. If not, the log 340s (good luck finding them for cheap $$), finally a stock set of magnum 5.2/5.9 manifolds. These flow really good and keep lowend power. Everybody loves true duals, but unless that motor is a real monster above 400 hp, full length headers may kill your bottom end power. I've seen a similar u-pipe for side pipes for cars that don't have the clearance for the van crossover- just to keep some lowend backpressure balance. Now to keep that top end power, I recommend an exhaust cutout to a dump pipe. Open it around 45 mph. Remember fun stuff happens at zero to 60- keep that bottom end power!

[Linked Image]
FinallyaVanner #671972 October 04th 2014 10:26 am
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by FinallyaVanner
Hey 383,
I did the middle picture, "V" engines. It's out of a '76 van mag! Right bank to left pipe and right bank to left pipe. It helps with the bluing of the pipes since it cools down before it gets there and the main reason is that there isn't real tight bends as in the "U" pipe you show. I am running 2 1/2" pipe. More then enough for the 360. Nice low mellow sound until you get into it. It's an idea that so far works for me.

[Linked Image]

Love your van! Can you tell me what brand/length your sidepipes are?

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
2 members (MufflerMan Mike, 1 invisible), 15 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drivestylish, MGCBBQ, rick74, Keithl, G10brett
12736 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 183
Wedgy 43
frscke1 29
CatFish 28
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,844