1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Plan For My Van (WARNING: Long post) ( I rant alot)
Reed #666345 July 16th 2014 12:25 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Reed
Depending on the code scanner you are using, the scanner may or may not run the onboard tests. The cheaper code scanners just read the trouble codes stored on the computer. The more complex/expensive scanners will read codes and actually run the onboard diagnostic tests as well.

I'm glad you found someone willing to work with you on the muffler. It always helps to have friends "in the business." I wouldn't be surprised if you found more than a rusted out muffler. You might have exhaust lines rusted out, a rusted catalytic, or more.

As far as the code reader goes, we are using a cheap one, my dad got it for around $90. However, the neighbor who manages the muffler shop has a big expensive code reader that he is going to scan the codes with sometime this week. (Hopefully) He actually told us that a catalytic converter could be ruined and I really hope it's not because he said it could be an expensive fix. We do have quite a few leaks in various systems but they are relatively minor and shouldn't be affecting things too much at the moment.
I know that you did not ask about this here but I figured I would point it out anyways. I am not the only one working on the van...I have zero experience around cars other than the little bits of things I have picked up from this van and from this website. My step-dad used to do car audio installation and he used to work in a garage. He knows alot about cars and has done all of the mechanic work on the van so far. So I am not alone in this quest to repair this van.

Originally Posted by Reed

Keep us posted!

I will definitely keep you guys up to date with everything that I do with the van. As I said in the main post though, money is tight at this time and that is mostly why we have not done a lot of work on it. Hopefully when Christmas comes around I will get some money from the outer ring of family and put it into the van. laugh

For now though, Happy Vannin' Everyone.

Proud owner of a 1997 Ford E-150 Hi-top Conversion Van

[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Waffl6 #666346 July 16th 2014 12:40 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I hear you about money being tight. Short term solutions- if the rust is localized to the areas shown in the pictures, you can cut out the flaky bits of metal, clean out the rust as much as possible, neutralize the remaining rust with a product like POR-15, and then use fiberglass and bondo to fill the holes. Ugly, but cheap. That repair will last long enough for you to save up enough to fix the rust the right way (new metal panels).

If your budget is tight, then I strongly recommend you do a very thorough inspection of the van. Note all the leaks and problems with the engine and transmission, note all the problems with rust, and then prioritize the repairs. If the rust is fixable and hasn't turned the van into a lost cause, I say start with fixing the gaping holes in the body and then move on to fixing little things like leaks and a tune-up. Take it one small project at a time and it will eventually get fixed.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #666487 July 18th 2014 11:34 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Okay guys, very soon we are going to be doing a tune-up, changing spark plugs and wires. Hopefully in the next week or so.

Proud owner of a 1997 Ford E-150 Hi-top Conversion Van

[Linked Image]
Waffl6 #666488 July 19th 2014 1:18 am
Maniac
Maniac
Sounds good. Other common sensors that fail are the MAP sensor and the coolant temp sensor. You may also want to verify that the TPS sensor is adjusted and working properly.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users