1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The Plan For My Van (WARNING: Long post) ( I rant alot)
#666314 July 15th 2014 6:25 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS ALOT OF RANTING.
Also, I apologize for the pictures being so large, I could not make them any smaller.
Let's start off by saying that if you have not already done so, I suggest reading my introduction post here: https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/659186/New_to_Vanning!#Post659186 This link includes a lot of crucial information that will need to be known before reading this post because it explains where my van came from and how it came to be mine.It also explains why I am having the trouble I am. I would also like to point out that I am perhaps one of, if not the youngest member of this site. I have not seen anyone younger than me in my time here so far. I prefer not to disclose my age but I will post a picture of me and you may guess my age if you would like. Also, throughout reading this post, please keep in mind, we bought this van for $500.

This is me earlier today after I washed my van:
[Linked Image]

Now that all of the disclaimers are out of the way, let's get started on progress. (Rant starts here.) So far, we have done nothing but get the engine running and it's not even running perfectly yet. I've had the van almost a year now and everything is still bad. Right now, the code reader we scanned it with says oxygen sensors are causing a problem and as of right now I can't replace them. We have also concluded that getting a new muffler will reduce the rumbling and rattling that is happening.

We had a storm a few weeks ago and I wish I could blame this hole in the side of the van on the storm but sadly, I can not. I can not conclude that this giant hole in this van is from hail or rain hitting it. It is just not possible. (What do you guys think?)

[Linked Image]

I am unsure of how to go about fixing this and money is an issue at the time because I am unable to work.. I have been mooching money for repairs from the parents so far. The hole will eventually need to be fixed because it is so close to the wheel that I fear it could cause further problems in the future. The paint is also bubbling around the hole but I don't know if this could be an issue.

There is also another hole but this one is on the bottom of the back of the vehicle and I am not sure if this can be fixed or if it should just be left alone. I also fear this could cause further issues because the entire outside bottom of the van is rusted and is falling apart. The paint is bubbling and pieces fall off alot now. frown Here is the second hole:

[Linked Image]

As you can see here, the hole is at the back and next to it the paint is bubbling and the actual van is rusting and chipping away.

As for the rear bumper, it has fallen prey to the usual rusting away and has begun to fall off. I've seen this on alot of other vans, so I am happy to say I am not the only one with this problem. Again, I have no idea if this can be fixed or if it's even worth trying to fix. You can see this here:

[Linked Image]

You can see behind the rear bumper here:

[Linked Image]

Now, for the final part of my rant, I will say that I am still trying to find a running board for the passenger side of my van and if you read my introduction post you saw that I stated there that I was missing it and I also stated why it is now missing. If anyone out there has one or knows where I can find one/make one I would really like to get some information. Aftermarkets are fine too. (Rant ends here.)

Now that the rant has ended, I would like to include some pictures of the inside of my van that I did not include in the introduction post from April.

The back bench that folds into a bed:

[Linked Image]

The left captains chair that has a stereo system next to it:
(This is still a mystery to me because I have no idea where this is supposed to play sound through because it does not say.. and it does not come through the speakers. There are headphone jacks in the back of the van and I believe that is where it plays through.)

[Linked Image]

The vacuum cleaner that as of right now does not work, it is located behind and to the left of the back bench that folds into a bed.

[Linked Image]

Finally, the last picture that I will include in this post. The TV, to the right is a little cabinet and that is where I currently have a converter box so when I am parked I will be able to watch some local news or local channels. To the left is the VCR but as of right now that is another thing that does not work.

[Linked Image]

If you have actually read this far, thank you. I am very sorry about all of the ranting in this, but it had to be done. I had to get information on how to fix the rust, how to fix the holes, and maybe some ideas for working on the interior? (SUGGESTIONS?)

THE PLAN
1. Fix the oxygen sensors
2. Get a new muffler
3. Fix the rust holes
4. Get a new running board
5. Fix the bumper

So that is my plan guys, but I still have one more thing to share in this post.

You could not really tell through any of the pictures in this post that I live in a condominium. It is part of a Home Owner's Association and the people who live here really DON'T like my van. Ever since I moved here late last year, all I have had out of the people here is problems. They started out complaining to the Association saying that it is an eyesore. Then, it escalated to people saying that it must be moved or they would "Do something about it." Finally, last week while I was on vacation the Home Owner's Association put a parking violation on my van saying that it can not be "stored" on this premises and that it would be towed at the owners expense if it was not dealt with. As I said at the beginning of the post, I am still very young, and I can not even drive the van yet. The van is not being "stored" it is moving every week because my parents are driving it and it is fully insured, plated and it passed emissions testing.

The reason why I included the above paragraph in this post is to let you all know that perhaps in the near future my vanning career will end before it even starts. I may have to sell the van in order to continue living in this location, or I may have to find another place for it to go. Either way, neither option is the one that I want to happen and I really would like to keep on vannin'. For now though, happy vanning everyone.

Proud owner of a 1997 Ford E-150 Hi-top Conversion Van

[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: The Plan For My Van (WARNING: Long post) ( I rant alot)
Waffl6 #666316 July 15th 2014 7:50 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
i don't know much about that year of van but seeing that much rot out of rust i would check and make sure the frame and spring mounting points are not also rusting out. don't want to see you put a lot of money into it and having it all fall apart. i no expert on body work and struggle doing it so i have no info for you on that. i do really like the interior however, looks like a nice place to hang out. good luck

Waffl6 #666317 July 15th 2014 7:53 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I absolutely hate homeowner's associations. A bunch of self-righteous busy-bodies. The neighborhood where I live had a home owner's association years and years ago, but it is defunct. This is a good thing since the copy of the HOA bylaws we got when we purchased our house actually said that there are no Chinese allowed in the neighborhood. See what I mean? I hate HOAs.

You can still buy new running boards. Go to www.discountvantruck.com www.customvan.com and ebay.

I am happy to see another younger fellow interested in vans! I have been into cars since I was about 8 years old.

I am sorry to say that it looks like that van has some pretty significant rust aaround the bottom. The first thing i would do if I were you is taker the driver's side running board off and do a thorough inspection of the underside of the van. If the whole bottom of the van looks like that then it is unsafe to drive and will be quite a chore to fix. If the rust is localized to just around the bottoms near the rear wheel, then it is definitely something that needs to be fixed, but not as dire as if the entire bottom of the van was rusting out.

Given the state of those rear quarters, your muffler most likely is rusted out and dead. While the van is in the air at the muffler shop, see if they will let you get under there and look at the condition of the rest of the underside and frame. If you see bad rust everywhere, then you might as well save your money and not put on a new muffler. You should carefuilly inspect the cpondition of the frame, the spring mounts, the brake lines, and the rocker panels.

Mill supply has very reasonable prices on replacement sheetmetal panels:
http://www.rustrepair.com/PANELS/FORD-92-ECONOLINE-VAN-CAB-CARGO.HTM

The rest of the van looks very nice, so I think it is definitely worth saving if the rust isn't too horriffic. I highly recommend you get into any auto shop and bodywork classes your high school offers. Then you will have access to tools, a lift, and someplace to put the van that will get the HOA off your back.

Did you know your van has the capability of running an on-board diagnostic test of the fuel injection system and all the sensors on the motor? It will give you all the stored fault codes as well as run additional tests to tell you if a sensor is reading incorrectly or some other component has failed. This test is invaluable in diagnosing problems with how the van runs.

HERE is a good deal ont he factory service manual set for your van. This will tell you how to fix most anything wrong with the van. I believe it should also tell you how to run the self-diagnostic test.

If the rust isn't too bad, I think that van is definitely worth saving. You will have some work to do to fight the rust onster, but it might be a worthwhile battle.

A few years back I put up a post of how to run the self test. I found it again for you:

THe hardest part is finding the plugs for that adapter in the engine compartment. They are tucked on the passenger side fender behind the battery. They look like this:

[Linked Image]

Here is how you run a self test and pull trouble codes without a code reader:

How to Prepare for the Self-Test

To check for codes without buying a code reader is simple. If your EEC is wired correctly, the engine light works, and there are not any electrical faults in the vehicle you can get the codes out of your EEC.

1. Turn key to OFF.
2. Get a length of wire that can connect the STI to the negative battery terminal or body ground.
3. Ground the Self-Test Input.
4. Get some paper and a pen.
5. Get comfortable in the drivers seat.
6. Try to keep your self from getting distracted from here on.
7. Turn key to RUN.
8. You will hear some relays engage and the fuel pumps prime the system. This is the EEC beginning the test.
9. When the fuel pumps stop be ready to count!

How To Count “Check Engine” Light Blinks

When the “Check Engine” light blinks during the test you will get several different blinks, the separation time between blinks is used to indicate what information is being displayed.

Turn key to RUN.
You will hear some relays engage and the fuel pumps prime the system. This is the EEC beginning the test.
The fuel pumps will stop and the EEC will now begin giving codes.
You may catch a brief flickering of the light. This is a rapid code read that is used by the code readers you can purchase. Do not worry all those rapid flashes you just say flicker buy will now be given at a slower pace of �, 2, & 4 second pauses.
First digit of first KOEO code (1/2 second between blinks)
2 second pause
Second digit of first KOEO code (1/2 second between blinks)
4 second pause
Next KOEO code
Once all KOEO codes are read the EEC will repeat them
6 second pause
Single Separator Blink (this indicates the change from KOEO codes to CM codes)
6 second pause
Codes from Continues Memory (uses same 1/2, 2, and 4 second timing as KOEO codes and also repeats them)
If nothing has been recorded by the EEC since last battery disconnect you will see:

Blink – 2 sec – blink – 4 sec – blink – 2 sec – blink – 6 sec – blink – 6 sec – blink – 2 sec – blink – 4 sec – blink – 2 sec � blink

This translates into 11-11 current condition (KOEO) and 11-11 in the continues memory (CM); or SYSTEMPASS

This may seem hard to count; recommendation is to record codes with slashes, and to lump them all together. Sort them out into numerical codes later. Here is an example of this:

[Linked Image]

This would give you codes; 41, 83, 14 & 18. If you miss some of the codes or feel you are counting wrong continue to count the remaining codes for practice and to compare to the next code test. When finished simply turn the key to OFF wait 15 seconds then back to RUN. The codes will be presented again.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Waffl6 #666323 July 15th 2014 9:51 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
@Reed, I do have a code reader already, will doing this test give me anything different than the code reader will? Also, one good thing has come out of living in this HOA, a neighbor of ours is the manager of a muffler shop and he has said we can get an estimate from him for the work. We've become really good friends with him and I think he will even give us a reduced price on the repairs. Unfortunately, there are no available auto shop or body work classes at my high school. However, there is a career center which is like a high school near me that has an auto shop class but they do not allow their lifts to be rented as far as I know. The cars they work on are donations and then are later re-donated as far as I know. If I am desperately searching for a lift, I do have access to one but it will involve a 3 hour drive down to Wright Patterson Air Force Base. My Dad is in the military and I have a dependent ID card that allows me on base. They have lift rentals at a shop there for $7 an hour. That would also include a whole bunch of tools and I could also rent more advanced tools at the same location.

[Linked Image]
Waffl6 #666330 July 15th 2014 10:48 pm
veteran
veteran
Oxygen sensors probably went bad due to sitting too long. Sitting for long periods of time is bad on any vehicle. That is even worse for newer vehicles with all the computer controlled garbage like oxygen sensors. Not to mention ethanol does not take kindly to sitting dormant in a fuel tank. My step father has issues with his RV now because of leaving it sit through the autumn, winter, and spring with ethanol gas in the tank.

My advice...

#1- get that cap gas out of the tank and some good ethanol free gas run through the lines. That means lots of driving to flush the old cap out and let the new stuff work it's way through the system

#2- find some rust inhibitor coating. Your local body shop supply should have it in spray cans for fairly cheap. Knock off all the flaking rust that you can see. Sand the rusted areas. Even the bubbles in the paint. Those are rust bubbles forming under the paint. Poke them and you'look see rust. So sand all the rust spots to bare metal. Then follow the directions on the rust inhibitor coating. It may be black and not match your paint, but neither does the rust color and at least it will help prevent further rust.

#3- you should be able to source parts for that thing pretty easy at your local junkyards. Just be careful and shop around before pulling parts. We have several yards in our area, but only one of them cuts me fair prices. The others are just too dang high priced and are my last resort yards. Be careful, junkyards are addicting and depressing. I love going parts hunting, but most of them care more about money and crush all the cool stuff just to make a buck and stay in business through these hard times.

#4- I'm guessing you're about 14. The vehicle addiction only gets worse with age. ;) have fun with it and don't let it get you down.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
kursed #666333 July 15th 2014 11:13 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by kursed

#3- you should be able to source parts for that thing pretty easy at your local junkyards. Just be careful and shop around before pulling parts. We have several yards in our area, but only one of them cuts me fair prices. The others are just too dang high priced and are my last resort yards. Be careful, junkyards are addicting and depressing. I love going parts hunting, but most of them care more about money and crush all the cool stuff just to make a buck and stay in business through these hard times.

Actually... all of the junkyards near me have absolutely ZERO Econolines in their yards. It's pretty outrageous and I think they may be lieing to me. I've searched alot of different sites and things looking for one, and pick-n-pull or something like that said they had one near us. We drove out there and it ended up the inventory hadn't been done and they had crushed the van. As for auto parts near me, I have alot... Autozone, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts and Federated Auto Parts which just opened two weeks ago. We have ALOT of auto parts stores near us and all of them sell it differently for sure. I prefer to go to Autozone though, due to the great service.

[Linked Image]
kursed #666334 July 15th 2014 11:25 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by kursed

#4- I'm guessing you're about 14.

Close, but no cigar. laugh

[Linked Image]
Waffl6 #666337 July 16th 2014 12:32 am
Maniac
Maniac
Depending on the code scanner you are using, the scanner may or may not run the onboard tests. The cheaper code scanners just read the trouble codes stored on the computer. The more complex/expensive scanners will read codes and actually run the onboard diagnostic tests as well.

The method I posted above is free and will give you the KOEO (key on, engine off) test results. There are also the KOER (key on, engine running) tests that are more in depth. I use an old OTC2000 code scanner tool that runs both KOEO and KOER tests. It has been invaluable in keeping my 89 E150 on the road. I picked it up on eBay a few years ago for about $200. Well worth it.

I am sure you can find instructions online about how to run the KOER tests without a tool. The good part is that the engine control system on your van is the same as is used on Mustangs and other more popular cars. The same test done on Mustangs can be done on your van. In fact, here you go:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/
http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest-koeokoer.html

I'm glad you found someone willing to work with you on the muffler. It always helps to have friends "in the business." I wouldn't be surprised if you found more than a rusted out muffler. You might have exhaust lines rusted out, a rusted catalytic, or more.

If you don't have access to a lift, you should really at least put the van up on ramps or on a jack and jack stands. That should give you enough room to slide underneath and give it a good looking over. I recommend safety goggles, gloves, and a screwdriver to jab at rusty areas to test for structural integrity. I think Autozone's tool loan program includes jacks and stands or ramps.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by Reed; July 16th 2014 12:35 am.

Reed #666339 July 16th 2014 9:21 am
old hand
old hand
Everytime I buy a van my little jerk neighbor calls the city.
Then the city shows up looking all nervous on my porch where it clearly says NO TRESSPASSING. Then I have to yell at her
"what do you want" Then she has to explain that she is here to verify that the registration is current on a van I just bought yesterday. Meanwhile you have to have a warrant to come tooo deep onto my property and she knows this as I do.
Basically people hate vans.
most people here back them up into private property and just tell the city to get a life.
They would rahter see a "donk" or a riced up jap car
or anything on this earth than a van.

But anyway that is part of being a vanner
Sweet ride, Reed there will get anything down the road, so follow his lead.
My only tip is know your rights and dont let people who
"dont like vans"
affect you in any way
Peace!!

Reed #666345 July 16th 2014 12:25 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Reed
Depending on the code scanner you are using, the scanner may or may not run the onboard tests. The cheaper code scanners just read the trouble codes stored on the computer. The more complex/expensive scanners will read codes and actually run the onboard diagnostic tests as well.

I'm glad you found someone willing to work with you on the muffler. It always helps to have friends "in the business." I wouldn't be surprised if you found more than a rusted out muffler. You might have exhaust lines rusted out, a rusted catalytic, or more.

As far as the code reader goes, we are using a cheap one, my dad got it for around $90. However, the neighbor who manages the muffler shop has a big expensive code reader that he is going to scan the codes with sometime this week. (Hopefully) He actually told us that a catalytic converter could be ruined and I really hope it's not because he said it could be an expensive fix. We do have quite a few leaks in various systems but they are relatively minor and shouldn't be affecting things too much at the moment.
I know that you did not ask about this here but I figured I would point it out anyways. I am not the only one working on the van...I have zero experience around cars other than the little bits of things I have picked up from this van and from this website. My step-dad used to do car audio installation and he used to work in a garage. He knows alot about cars and has done all of the mechanic work on the van so far. So I am not alone in this quest to repair this van.

Originally Posted by Reed

Keep us posted!

I will definitely keep you guys up to date with everything that I do with the van. As I said in the main post though, money is tight at this time and that is mostly why we have not done a lot of work on it. Hopefully when Christmas comes around I will get some money from the outer ring of family and put it into the van. laugh

For now though, Happy Vannin' Everyone.

[Linked Image]
Waffl6 #666346 July 16th 2014 12:40 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I hear you about money being tight. Short term solutions- if the rust is localized to the areas shown in the pictures, you can cut out the flaky bits of metal, clean out the rust as much as possible, neutralize the remaining rust with a product like POR-15, and then use fiberglass and bondo to fill the holes. Ugly, but cheap. That repair will last long enough for you to save up enough to fix the rust the right way (new metal panels).

If your budget is tight, then I strongly recommend you do a very thorough inspection of the van. Note all the leaks and problems with the engine and transmission, note all the problems with rust, and then prioritize the repairs. If the rust is fixable and hasn't turned the van into a lost cause, I say start with fixing the gaping holes in the body and then move on to fixing little things like leaks and a tune-up. Take it one small project at a time and it will eventually get fixed.

Reed #666487 July 18th 2014 11:34 pm
W
Waffl6 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Okay guys, very soon we are going to be doing a tune-up, changing spark plugs and wires. Hopefully in the next week or so.

[Linked Image]
Waffl6 #666488 July 19th 2014 1:18 am
Maniac
Maniac
Sounds good. Other common sensors that fail are the MAP sensor and the coolant temp sensor. You may also want to verify that the TPS sensor is adjusted and working properly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 22 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747