1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Mlarky's Dodge....gonna keep her after all.
#664902 June 29th 2014 12:06 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Hi Gang,
Some of you read about me getting an old project vehicle back and thinking of parting with the van. After much deliberation and changes in the direction of where I want to be in the future, I have decided to sell the repurchased project car and keep the van. Also buyer's regret and reality kicked in. Shouldn't have bought it back. The old project is going to be more than I want to get into after all. Also being honest with myself...it was an impulse buy trying to relive the past. Made that mistake once before ending up with a rolling money pit. A few things already happened to remind me. Time to part with it and walk away.

The van is a more practical vehicle for my future. Besides,it isn't that far from being done. It's paid for, I know what I have...etc. All the mechanical work over the last 2 years has it up to reliable status. I just need to charge the A/C since I recently replaced the compressor, bottle and filter, then I can keep cool. Fix a couple of dents then prep for paint, add the sun visor. 3 wall pieces of the interior need to be re-cut then cover everything, lay the carpet. I have all the materials to finish the inside. A little wiring to do, to fix one burned line and add a few new things. I finally found the rims I want, just need new wide tires.... and she's done.

AdSense long
Re: Mlarky's Dodge....gonna keep her after all.
mlarky #664904 June 29th 2014 12:14 pm
P
old hand
old hand
P
Glad to hear it....You would have been missed

mlarky #664917 June 29th 2014 1:58 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
By the way, the rims I found on Craigslist are 15x8". curious what size tires y'all would suggest to fit on them. Looking for max width, safely, to fill the fender flares.

mlarky #664918 June 29th 2014 2:02 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Glad to hear your keeping the van.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arianrhod:2003 Chevy Astro
Black Magic: 1985 Dodge B-250
Serenity:1985 Chevy G-20
The Outcast:1983 Ford club wagon
Luna 1974 VW bay window transporter
Freedom:1990 Ford E-150(parts van)
Outcast Vanners van club
Support your local 2%
lukester #664927 June 29th 2014 3:11 pm
A
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
A
Originally Posted by lukester
Glad to hear your keeping the van.

yeah

mlarky #664948 June 29th 2014 6:05 pm
veteran
veteran
Glad you are keeping the van. I always liked it.

Shanning P.
Alberta, Canada
[Linked Image]
1991 Dodge Ram 250
Member of Vandits VC. Calgary
Stay Weird!
mlarky #664963 June 29th 2014 7:09 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Tires-

On a 15x8 a 275/60-15 rear and 245/60-15 front fill the wheelwell nicely and don't rub.

I've also run a 255/70-15 rear to give 'er a little 'Rubber Rake'....

Gregg Groff

The right to bear vans

65 ChevyVan Pontiac OHC 6/TH2004R
68 ChevyVan 108 454/4L80E
86 Dodge "Yeah, it's got a 318"
83 ChevyVan Shorty- B2%B Pt II
mlarky #665942 July 10th 2014 7:52 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Thanks for the tire tip Vanner68. Sold the other project car today. Now I will once again focus on finishing my Dodge. 1st task, get the Air conditioning I redid charged up. It's getting a bit warm this time of year in Texas.

mlarky #665956 July 10th 2014 10:09 pm
pooh-bah
Online Content
pooh-bah
mlarky, just looked at this thread (been on vacation and the motel had real crappy internet). So glad you decided to keep the van. Maybe we'll get to meet up now that I'm retired.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
mlarky #666017 July 11th 2014 4:10 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Looking forward to meeting you Starlord.

Wonder if it's Karma ( or carma...pun intended) So I sell the the good running nothing leaking project car yesterday. Today the van breaks down. Just a blown lower radiator hose, but made me wonder....LOL

mlarky #666072 July 12th 2014 9:56 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Planning a Pick N Pull run tomorrow. Will keep my eyes out for cool stuff others might want.

mlarky #666156 July 13th 2014 4:28 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Just got back from Pick N Pull. Scored a lot of what I was looking for this time around!!The last 3 trips weren't as fruitful. Got 2 new seats for the front. These are blue, same as my grey ones, even the pattern. They will get recovered in the near future. Drivers seat was eroding on the door side as they always do. Got the passenger seat so they match. Found side door plastic trim, since mine broke. Found an old school digital clock for the overhead console in the works. The big score for me was finding a decent condition 83 grille set up. Hoping the chrome polishes out nice. Now I can have the quad headlight set up I have been wanting. I also grabbed 3 window surrounds to replace my broken pieces. Got everything for under $180, Not bad.

Almost pulled the wall pieces out of one that had the same interior layout as mine, but it was getting too hot. The ones I cut didn't come out well. Maybe another trip soon for those. Or I will just try cutting new ones again. Are there any patterns still available for doing that??

I was hoping to find new gauge cover(?), since mine has issues. All the ones I found weren't much better. Old plastic, cracks, broken mounting points, rattles because of broken clips, etc. I saw 3 Dodges with dual air, thinking of going back for the pieces. It would be a big plus here in Texas.

mlarky #666173 July 13th 2014 8:37 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Nice to hear you found some good stuff. I love hitting the wrecking yards

mlarky #666204 July 14th 2014 12:20 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Me too! But doing that in summertime in San Antonio, you have to be there at opening while it's still "cool", and be prepared for the heat, stay hydrated, etc. I got there at 9 am, I was leaving by 1pm. Just too freakin' hot! It was 96 by that point. I did install the seats tonight. What a difference!! Driver's seat was so worn out. Started polishing on the 83 in one area to see how it might clean up. There is reason to smile!

mlarky #666328 July 15th 2014 10:12 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Today was a day off with plans, but instead has been a series of disappointments. Yet another "friend" has let me down. I'm running out of people I consider friends. To me a friend is someone you can rely on, just as they can rely on you. This one is a mobile mechanic by trade with the A/C tools and the experience I needed to get the van cool on the inside. I have already done the hard dirty work of replacing the compressor, dryer, filter, new seals on the lines, etc. Just needs the freon. I was actually paying him his usual rate for the work. Not a returned favor deal. Today was my day off, plans were made with him in advance. We spoke last night to confirm. Should have been an hour or so of work and he'd make some money, I'd be cool...literally. I called him about 8am to say I was on my way.We were supposed to get together about 9am. No answer, figured he might still be sleeping. Not to be a pest I called again after 9am. No answer, didn't return my call. He managed to call me back close to noon, after I tried a couple more times this morning. We have to wait till later. His brother had his A/C stuff, he'd have to go get it. OK...fine. Now, here it is 8pm, tried calling 2 times since 5 pm. No answer, no returned courtesy call, nothing. I wasted my day off for this.

As for the 83 grille I bought so excitedly, it's not polishing up as I hoped. Chrome started lifting in 3 spots. Just too weathered I guess. Texas summers will do that to chrome. So either live with it as is, paint it to match the van or find another. Also I still need to go back to Pick N Pull for a couple of forgotten bits, pieces and a few wires I should have clipped for the connectors.

I did get another switch piece for the cruise control, the one on the steering wheel. Troubleshooting wires a while back to figure out why the cruise control quit working. Thought it was the switch. Now I think it's the clock spring. Now I am considering rigging up my own switch panel for the cruise control in the overhead console, add a nice custom steering wheel.

So the "new" parts didn't pan out, and another "friend" let me down. Not all bad though. I am Lovin' the "new" seats!

mlarky #666639 July 21st 2014 5:10 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Air Conditioning is now working!!! My friend Ed came through for me. He called the other day, with apologies. His brother had "borrowed" his machine, and didn't get it back to him until this past Friday evening. He didn't charge me for the charge. I was willing to pay him, but he said I had already done favors for him in the past so we were good.

Definitely not as cool as well as good 'ol R12 did, but way better than "2-60" AC. I have been looking for the parts to convert to dual A/C. Think that would make a big difference. Of course now there is a new issue. With the windows up...I hear every little noise going down the road. This is rattling, that's creaking, etc. LOL! Just little things I get to track down and fix, like loose parts or so. Next is new brakes and brake hardware in the back. There's not much meat left on them and they making brake dust squeals at every stop. Have everything to do them when it cools down later today. Right now it's about 97 outside in the shade and garage. Front pads got done when I first got the van, so they are good.

Talked to a young new vanner yesterday when he came into my Auto Zone store for parts. He had just gotten a sweet deal on a 94 GMC conversion van, long wheel base. Price was low because of front fender damage on the passenger side. Otherwise a clean good, running van. He needed a front power window motor. I got him the parts, explained how to do it, and he told me of his plans for an orange paint job, interior mods. We are planning to get together to help each other on our vans. Maybe the beginnings of a van club?? He's very open to it and thrilled to find someone else into vans here...as am I. More soon.

mlarky #666640 July 21st 2014 5:25 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Hooray! If you can find one, I highly recommend a modrn design cross-flow condenser over the OE style condenser. I also strongly recommend you replace ALL the o rings in the system and make sure the condenser and the filter in the receiver/drier are not plugged.

I recently had the AC system on my 89 Ford rebuilt. I had paid a few thousand a few years ago to have it conveted from Freon to R-13A. The shop did a piss-poor job of it and it never really worked right. I found a retired AC tech who runs a small independent AC repair business out of his garage and took my van to him. He found that the prior shop didn't do anything they were supposed to when they converted the van. My hoses leaked, my unions leaked, my condenser was cogged, and my filter was clogged. My AC now blows very nice and cold (low 40s I believe). R-134A can work great, but you need toget teh rest of the system up to snuff.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
mlarky #666666 July 21st 2014 10:20 pm
pooh-bah
Online Content
pooh-bah
mlarky, what auto zone do you work at? OK, maybe more specific, WHERE is the auto zone you work at? Is your new grill a chromed metal or chromed plastic? If metal, you can have it re chromed. I don't seem to have much luck at Pick N Pull, course I was looking for Chevy Van stuff and they're pretty much picked over. On my 78 Dodge I covered the stock grill with silver expanded aluminum you can get at the hardware store, also covered the tail lights with it (looked better on the back when I got the tail light trim rings for them) and the grill and tail lights looked good. [Linked Image]

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
Why is it that when I press 1 for English, I still can not understand the person on the other end????
mlarky #666761 July 23rd 2014 12:33 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!!!! A white tail dear at 65 mph does a lot of damage. It was dark, on a curve, couldn't see it until just before I sent it flying. Front end is trashed. Nothing structural, luckily. But the grille is smashed, the panel blow it is bent, the left corner lights, the bumper is twisted, all need replacement.

So frustrating. Trying to keep the van nice. A tree has fallen on it. This makes the second deer to do damage. The first literally ran into the drivers door a block from home. A customer at my work clipped the passenger front a couple months ago , now this. Seems like one step forward, 2 steps back. My poor van....

As for the A/C, I did all the work myself, replaced the O-rings, new compressor, dryer and filter. Then it was checked for leaks. So there are none. The blower fan doesn't blow all that well, even on high. Didn't when I bought it. Replaced the blower resistor, no change. Wonder about a new blower motor. Maybe it's just old and weak? I like the modern condenser idea. I'll research it. I also seem to have a vacuum leak, since it only blows through the vents on max setting. Maybe that has something to do with the performance as well?

Starlord, I work at the Boerne Auto Zone store, where I am a Parts Sales Manager. (That's about 20 miles north of San Antonio for those of you who might not know).

The grille is an 83 plastic model. Didn't know they made a metal grille? The only metal on mine is the headlight bezels. The chrome on it is faded, although I had hoped it would polish out. It will have to do until I can locate a better one. Guess now I need it more than ever since the deer destroyed mine.

mlarky #666795 July 23rd 2014 11:23 am
Maniac
Maniac
After the mid 70, all stock Dodge van grilles were plastic. You might check the heater fan switch. they can degreade internally leading to corrosion buildup and increased resistance. If you have the electrical know-how, it is worth it to install relays and use the fan switch to just trigger the relays.

mlarky #666863 July 24th 2014 10:21 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Thanks for the switch info Reed. Heading to Pick N Pull on Monday for the bumper and other parts I need to get the van back to looking nice again.

mlarky #667206 July 28th 2014 6:14 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Just back from Pick N Pull yet again. My son went with me this time, to help and find some pieces for his 5.0 Ranger pickup project. He was a huge help! Would have stayed longer and gotten more but the lack of funds and the heat kept me from doing that. I made some great buys though!! They had bunch of "new" vans in their inventory. Saw so many neat pieces, it was hard to chose which ones to get. ( Psst...I went over budget...don't tell the wife!!) Should have taken my camera, after thought...

First off, I found everything I needed to fix the deer damage. Got the bumper, the valance and I found another nice '83 4 headlight grille. I was able to exchange the first one I bought for a better condition piece. Glad I got the "warranty" on it. Our Pick N Pull will even exchange if you find a better part! How cool is that? While there I got the wiring pigtails to do the conversion from 2 to 4 headlights. Forgot to get those last trip.

I saw 4 consoles I liked. Bought 2. One is a basic but decent condition console with switches. Thinking someone with a Dodge van could use it. It was just too nice to let it go to the crusher. Another was a shallow piece with 4 switches, basic with a nice front, but not what I was looking for. The one I am keeping goes across the front and angles at the sides. One switch panel, 2 storage compartments, with potential for putting the stereo and CB in. Quite a score for $20! I might add a center section like T shape, not sure. I have dreamed of a T shape with angled sides. Put the stereo and CB in the console, with added gauges ( tach, vacuum, trans temp) in the dash in place of the radio. Needs a little refurbishing, but otherwise decent. If nothing else, I have the patterns to make a new one. Grabbed the visors since they went with it. The last console I saw was plastic or fiberglass, not sure. Sturdy, Covered, went across, curved at the center and angled towards the driver for switches then back to the front line. Nice piece! Might have bought that had I seen it first. So many nice pieces, some of the vans had really nice interiors! Saw a 94 Dodge van shorty there with a nice interior in good shape. Couldn't see why it was in the salvage yard to begin with. Saw 2 mid Dodges that could be resurrected. Hope I can find some money to make a return trip soon, and grab some of the things I saw for others to enjoy, before they go to the crusher.

I also scored a great condition engine cover piece/console with compartments. Only seen these on Dodges. I have one but the center pivot for the ash tray and another storage compartment is broken, It's plastic. Seems to be a common breaking point on them, also on the ones I've seen in the past. Last one I saw on Ebay went for $140! I got this one for $32! It's grey, so I will repaint it to match my interior scheme. I also got a new gauge cluster cover in good shape for $12. Mine had broken clips and it rattles.

For the dash I found the carved wooden pieces that go over the gauges and the lower piece that goes all the way across. Both need sanding re-varnishing, but otherwise nice pieces. Got those for $10 each. I have another one found last year that covers the gauges, needs sanding and varnish to make it nice again. Anyone interested?

Another nice grab was a light panel that goes from the the front seats, and goes almost all the way back with rope lights inside, with beautiful wood trim. From the same van I got the wood trim that goes across where the roof ribs are begins at the front of the light panel and the rear. Think I will match the stain and varnish for the rest of the wood trim inside. Gonna look so nice!

Did a quick check of the Ford and Chevy sections, since there was a lot of new inventory there today. Saw a couple of 2nd gen Fords and Chevys that had potential. They maybe had a few dents but none were rusted through. Didn't see any 1st gen vans. Next time I will take the camera, and maybe I can help one of you find something you want or need.

Well, off to fix the front end damage. More soon along with pics I can post.

mlarky #667207 July 28th 2014 7:13 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
sounds like you got some nice things. i find it hard to keep from grabbin too much stuff from the wrecking yards.

mlarky #667223 July 28th 2014 9:33 pm
pooh-bah
Online Content
pooh-bah
Which Pic N Pull do you go to? I never seem to have much luck at that one way over around Roosevelt. Sounds like you got some good stuff. Saw some of the rear chrome trim rings once for Dodge tail lights, decided to go back and get them and the van was gone. My Ford has a new issue.....little battery light is coming on and I guess the alt. is fixing to go bad, changed it already once a few years ago. Oh well, the joys of mechanics.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
mlarky #667242 July 29th 2014 4:57 am
J
old hand
old hand
J
Wow you certainly scored on all that stuff!

UK member of Nova Vans and
California Street Vans
Starlord #667267 July 29th 2014 10:46 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Starlord, I usually go to the Pick N Pull on Applewhite rd, I go Loop 410 to Hwy 16 south, turn left at the next light. Been to the one on Roosevelt. Rarely had luck with them. I've been wanting the chrome tail light rings too, but all the ones i see are pitted.

As for the battery light, may well be the alternator. Could be a loose, corroded or dirty connection. Basically the light says the system isn't charging properly. Best bet, check and clean all connections. If that doesn't fix it, pull the alternator and bench test it at Auto Zone. It's free. Best check it before you also get to replace the battery. Bring it to my store in Boerne.

Last edited by mlarky; July 29th 2014 10:47 am.
mlarky #667303 July 29th 2014 6:19 pm
old hand
old hand
Where da pics at?

Shenandoah Valley Vans / South East Van Council

[Linked Image]
mlarky #667375 July 30th 2014 10:26 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Some of you wanted to see pics of my "new" van parts. Got the grille form an '83. Should have that in over the weekend with the 4 headlight conversion.

[img:center]http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mlarky1957/media/enginecoverconsole.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10[/img]
[img]http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mlarky1957/media/IMG_1626.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5[/img] [img]http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/mlarky1957/media/IMG_1629.jpg.html? [img]i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r639/mlarky1957/ceilinglightsB-1.jpg[/img] sort=3&o=2[/img]

Hope I did this right and you can see what I got. ( I am not the most computer wise individual)

mlarky #667493 August 01st 2014 12:23 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
Got the new grille in today. Took me about 3 hours, with rewiring the headlights and all. 1st side took me over an hour, the other side went much quicker once I knew what I was doing. Found the instructions on this site. They were dead on. It looks great!! Managed to get it done just in time to leave for work. Got compliments from co-workers, that was an ego boost. Love the quad headlight look!! Thrilled to finally have that done, since I have been dreaming of it since the day I bought the van. I guess hitting the deer was a blessing, since I HAD to replace it!! Justified the change I guess. LOL!! Still need to make some adjustments to the aim of the lights. 4 headlights is certainly brighter on the back roads. Will post some pics over the weekend.

mlarky #667566 August 01st 2014 8:44 pm
pooh-bah
Online Content
pooh-bah
Congratulations. Glad you got it done the way you wanted. Makes a big difference when your vision starts to become reality.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
mlarky #672427 October 08th 2014 6:43 pm
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
My van got HIT AGAIN today! mad Can't catch a freakin' break!!!!! This makes 4 times the van has been assaulted in the past 2 years. My poor van! Attacked by a falling tree, then a deer runs into the side, then the kid last May bent the right front fender with his cattle guard, now this!!!

This time a lady backed into the right front corner at the post office parking lot. She bent the new bumper and broke the fender flare, scraped the paint. Didn't even have the courtesy to apologize!! mad Only made the comment her damage was worse. Barely got her insurance info, and she took off. Her car had other damage on the passenger side of her POS Toyota Avalon. Can only wonder about her driving skills.

Today we got the wife a new car ( 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer) I almost drove that car. Decided to drive the van instead at the last moment. Good thing it was the van not the new car. I might be in jail for assault!!

Weather starting to cool down. Then start the paint prep and body work. Have everything I need for the interior redo. Just didn't relish working in 100+ degree garage. Found a guy who will weld up all the holes when I finish pulling off the roof rack, the ladder and tire holder and the name plates for a clean smooth look. Said he'd do it all for $100!!

With my luck...now I am worried I'll her all nice and pretty only have some other idiot hit it again... Nah, My luck has to change. Right?

Last edited by mlarky; October 08th 2014 6:45 pm.
mlarky #672436 October 08th 2014 7:10 pm
Maniac
Maniac
Yeah, but just think- only your van could have taken that beating and still be driving down the road. Most new cars are totalled after one accident, much less four. Hooray for the van!

mlarky #672460 October 09th 2014 1:19 am
Uncle Rust N Dents
Uncle Rust N Dents

What a pain!
Sorry to hear about that.
That has to be frustrating.

[Linked Image from farm3.staticflickr.com]
mlarky #672534 October 09th 2014 9:45 pm
pooh-bah
Online Content
pooh-bah
Sorry to hear that it got banged again. Hope it's all fixable and her insurance covers it.

2005 E350 Turbo Diesel
mlarky #673280 October 20th 2014 10:37 am
M
mlarky Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
State Farm wrote me a check for $322. Big whoop. At least I have some $$ to begin the body work and prep for paint. The main damage THIS TIME is the right front fender flare that runs front to back. But I think I can fix it. I've actually thought about taking them off all together, having just rear flares for wide tires. But the wife balked saying it was the only way she can get into the van..LOL! Had another idea. Get those automatic fold out steps off of an SUV, see if that would fit, or wonder how much work it would take.

Well, for as many times my van has been assaulted by a tree, 3 deer, and 3 bad drivers, the body is not too bad. Cooler weather is coming so I just need to get after it.( Garage needs a major cleaning first). Been years since I've done body work, see if I can remember how. Found a guy who will weld up all the holes (from pulling the unwanted nomenclature, trim, the roof rack is coming off, the ladder and spare holder) for about $100. Not bad. Have the bucks just need to co-ordinate with him soon. More soon.

mlarky #673324 October 20th 2014 10:38 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
That is some bad luck. Like you said, it is a little money to start working on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meanmachine), 21 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 125
CatFish 25
frscke1 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746