Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Al Brown
#523708 December 26th 2011 9:58 am

Vanner Extraordinaire
OP Offline

Vanner Extraordinaire
We mourn the loss of a vanning pioneer. Al Brown was a member of Syndicated Truckers Van Club and hosted possibly the first Truck-in in Canada in 1974. He also had the vision to start a newsletter(no computers then!) called the Ontario Federation of Truckers, which provided a means for clubs to promote their events and set up dates that did not conflict with other clubs. That concept was perhaps the seed that later grew to councils and the massive Council of Councils we all enjoy every winter. I had the honor of being his friend, and was one of the first US reps to write for his newsletter. I attended his 50th birthday party, as well as celebrating his 75th with him recently. He passed away on Christmas day at the age of 81. Right now he is sitting with Barry and KG and Taco and so many others we have lost, rolling his own and having a beer...RIP, my friend...
[Linked Image]

11/16/30-12/25/11

Re: Al Brown
on the road #523762 December 26th 2011 12:15 pm
Vanner
Vanner
Alan Brown has Passed away today at 6:40 PM . There will be no Funeral for Al, but a Cremation , and a Memorial at a later date . I will post Details as they become available . REST IN PEACE Brother. YOU WILL BE MISSED DEARLY .

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
on the road #523800 December 26th 2011 3:23 pm
Vanner
Vanner
Al Brown’s Christmas gift to all of us, is more than just memories, but rather the comradery he instilled in all of us, through the Ontario Federation of Truckers, where he took the new sub culture of Vanning and made it forefront in not only Ontario, and the rest of Canada, while keeping the Vanner’s in the United States, and the rest of the world informed that we are here. He brought us together, and kept us informed and partied with the best of us, while regaling us with stories of eVANt’s past.
Banging away on a typewriter, printing the pages off on an old Gestetner, and acquiring and mailing out thousands of eVANt flyers every month for all those years he is indeed the Father of Ontario Vanning.
We will indeed miss his presence among us in the flesh, however his spirit will continue to be with us for forever…..Van in Peace Al…..you earned it……

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #525352 January 01st 2012 1:23 pm
stranger
stranger
So long to a long time friend Al, you will be truly missed By Deb and I. you will live on in our memories and stories. Vanning will never be the same with out you. OFT brought us all together for good times and long term friendship, which we would have never met if it wasn’t for you and the OFT. Your patch will be on my club jacket till the day I leave this planet. Thanks for being a friend and a Mentor

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some yonger photos of Al

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

on the road #531827 January 22nd 2012 9:52 am
V
veteran
veteran
V
Sorry for this Great Loss.I'm not sure.Did this vanner Own the Ford with the waterbed in it? It Has Been many yrs Since I Saw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Van-Promoter
&
Representative

Trust,Respect,Honor,Pride & Tradition

Ultimate Truckers &
Vice President Of Keep It Tight Vanners

on the road #547736 March 12th 2012 8:44 pm
G
G
We dont get close friends like Al very often he will be nist by all that knew him
I met Al at Rock Hill in 76 I cant tell enyone that didn know him what he was like and all his friends
know what i am talk
ing about bye Al you will never be forgoton
Bob Leavell aka Gopher

Hi im gopher i started vanning in 76 retiered form active runs if 97 live in ontario Alberta and BC so i know canadaian vaners all over canada and the US eneny one want to know how twisted i am ask Howerd doc MA from wa Wako from portland OR was vaning in the eastern US or Canada before 82
on the road #563975 May 22nd 2012 9:51 am

Vanthropologist

Vanthropologist
The memorial for Al Brown will be on Saturday June 9th at 12:30 at Vanfest 17. Members of Al's family will be in attendance as well as many of Al's vanner friends from almost 40 years of vanning.

100 Memorial patches have been made. If you can't attend Vanfest and knew Al let me know and I'll save one for you, otherwise you need to be at Vanfest to buy one. If there are any leftover afterwards then we'll make them available to everyone.

[Linked Image]

I should have the cancer charity that the family has agreed on this coming weekend. I'm hoping that we can raise $1000 in Al's name for the charity with the proceeds from the patches that were donated by the Ontario Federation of Vanners as well as some other items that will be either auctioned online or through a silent auction at the event.

Al meant so much to vanners here in Canada and was friends with vanners all around the world. He pretty much started vanning as we know it up here. His original newsletter the Ontario Federation of Truckers was one of the first in vanning and helped set the wheels in motion for events like the CofC. He was the single most influential vanner on myself and many others.

on the road #565384 May 29th 2012 1:11 pm

Vanthropologist

Vanthropologist
On Saturday I visited with Al's daughter Linda. We reminisced about Al for about an hour, shared some laughs and a few tears. We looked over his vanning photo albums together, his dash plaques, belt buckles, event bibles, other items and then let me know that she was giving me all of these items to do the right thing with.

These items will all be on display at Vanfest during the memorial and available to look through on the Friday as well. Afterwards after discussing this with Al's old friends we'll decide how to divide these items up.

The family has decided that any donations in Al's name will go to the CCAC in Grimsby. So all the funds from the patches, any money we collect at Vanfest and any collected through online auctions will go towards this. The CCAC is a community service that assists families in times of need and they went way above and beyond the call of duty when Al and his wife Bonnie needed it most. If you can't attend and would like to make a donation send me a message.

on the road #583925 September 15th 2012 11:18 am
D
Deb Offline
old hand
old hand
D
Al's Daughter Linda was so very kind to send me one of Al's favorite hats.
I am so very happy to have it and will take exceptional care of it.
Missing you oh so very much Al.....

[Linked Image]

Action Vans of Michigan
Second Generation

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Astro, on the road 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747