Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Eyes of the next generation
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #577595 August 05th 2012 2:46 am
old hand
old hand
Very cool sayings and feelings.
This is my first van and when I bought it I did not know how my family would react. Well it was with open arms. The kids can't wait to get it done and go cruising with all the other vans.
My daughter also has a bunch of friends that want to go cruisin'.
They think the 70's vans are the coolest.
My daughter showed me her year book and the new rage is to have a 60's or 70's American car, truck or van. That is considered cool to have now!! So hopefully it will carry on.

As for me the building of the van is as much fun as the cruising and outings!!! And the enthusiasm my kids and wife have about all of it, is great!!!

Richard

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

AdSense long
Hoofbeats #577625 August 05th 2012 10:30 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
Originally Posted by Hoofbeats
That is the risk you run when you exclude people for what ever reason.A few years ago the Nationals were held in PA not to far from Bloomsburg.It was held on the same weekend as the Family Events 4x4 jamboree in Bloomsburg.If I remember right the Nationals had less then 600 vans show up.Bloomsburg had over 4,000 4x4s of all kinds.It didn't matter if it was home made or whatever.You also didn't need to bring a 4x4 to get in and look at the 4x4s.Over the three day weekend over 30,000 people payed to come in and look at the 4x4s.Four wheels also have an image problem but they include anyone that wants to see thing for themselves.

Did this jamboree, have people camping on the same grounds, could you let your kids run around without fear because everyone knew who they were, Could you leave all of your possessions around your van without the fear of them being taken. Van Runs are more than a Show and Shine. To me there is no comparison, well expect for motorcycle runs.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
Lil_Ed #577646 August 05th 2012 2:17 pm
H
addict
addict
H
Originally Posted by Lil_Ed
Did this jamboree, have people camping on the same grounds

Unfortunately because of liability there isn't any overnight camping.There are several campgrounds near by.If you want to camp you need to make reservations several months in advance.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

could you let your kids run around without fear because everyone knew who they were

Yes the vast majority of the people attending are clubs.They even hand out children's bags at the gate.They also have a children's play/arts and crafts area and even have a children's Olympics where the top winners get a medal.

Could you leave all of your possessions around your van without the fear of them being taken.

Yes.Not only that you are encouraged to leave your "Van" at the grounds if you can get a ride back to your campground or hotel.It helps to cut down on traffic at the gate.It takes a loooong time to get 4,000+ "Vans" in a gate,something a vannin hasn't had to do in a loooong time.Go to Pirate4x4.com and find out what happens to people who try to rip off a 4x4 owner or does something to make us look bad.

Van Runs are more than a Show and Shine.

Same with a 4x4 jamboree.Do you have van burnouts at all of them?Do you have a professional van racing circuit show up to race?Do you have a monster van show?Do you have van drag races?Do you have a tough van race where you can go head to head against other van?Do you have a fireworks show during the July Van Run?

The national 4x4 jamborees will let anyone in that whats to find out what 4x4s and the 4x4 life style are all about.They even let vans in

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hell,they don't even have to be four wheel drive.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To me there is no comparison, well expect for motorcycle runs.

That's funny because the same company that does the 4x4 jamborees also does motorcycle runs.

could you let your kids run around without fear because everyone knew who they were, Could you leave all of your possessions around your van without the fear of them being taken.

You got something against four wheelers?

[Linked Image]
Hoofbeats #577692 August 05th 2012 9:19 pm
Originally Posted by Hoofbeats

You got something against four wheelers?

Nope just dont think it is fair to compare to different type of events and say they should be the same.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
www.wivancouncil.com
theroseptv #577973 August 07th 2012 4:24 pm

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07

I have been to the 4x4 show at Bloomsburg before. Been at least 20 years though. It is big. Bloomsburg Fairgrounds is huge. And they do get a lot of people in there. You do not see anything laying around like you would at a typical van run though. You do see a lot of 4x4's both show style and wonder style. Wonder meaning how the hell did that thing make it here. lol You need to leave the grounds every night. You can not sleep in your truck. Motel or campgrounds. Rates are normally jacked up too. Not sure the cost for participants but can only guess at probably $100 now. Daily spectator would probably be in the $15-$20 range. They do have monster truck races and mud races. Those are really cool. It just does not seem like a typical van-in or Nationals. For one thing, it is run by a promoter which is something van runs do not use. The events, even the Nats, are put on by a club. Group of clubs. Council, etc. Promoters were used in the past and only benefited the promoter. Fred? Dean?
There is a difference in this respect and hard to compare the two as they are different entities altogether. To have and event in comparison would take a lot. Yes, a promoter would probably be needed. Camping could be allowed but would need to be segregated if you wanted to allow the public in. A specific area for the public to view the vans would be necessary. Perhaps get monster truck races or something to draw in a crowd. I honestly would bet that if the Jamboree did not have the truck races, etc., the attendance by the public would be way down. You would also need vendors that would appeal to not only vanners but the public as well. You would need to pay for the entertainment that you would offer. Not hundreds of dollars or even a couple thousand, but probably in the tens of thousands. Then the ticket price for the gate would be up there. The attendees price would also be higher than it is now. It would take a lot of work to do this and a lot of capital. Something that none of us have. But it would be great to see, if only once.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Susquehanna Valley Vans, Inc.
Host of Spring Thaw
PennsylVANia Van Council, Inc.
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Nats Board Support Staff.
Toopa Sinner Tribe
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224899
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
theroseptv #577974 August 07th 2012 4:29 pm

Oh and another discussion we just had this weekend at Carlisle, while we were there we kept an eye on our vans and those around us. Why? Because most of the general public do not respect them the way we do. You do not see us going up to a show truck or car and leaning against it, opening things up to look at them, leaning over and touching things, etc. We had that most of the weekend. Not that big of a deal as we were representing vans and vanners. Did have to walk up to 2 older guys and ask them why they were leaning over the rope and opening up the cabinets in the back of my van. They said they wanted to know what was in there. Did not even care that it was my van. At a van run or even the Nats, I could probably leave a $100 bill laying on the floor of the van in plain site during a show and it would still be there at the end. How about at any other show? Just some thoughts.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Host of Spring Thaw
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Toopa Sinner Tribe
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
theroseptv #578078 August 08th 2012 8:14 am
I have actually had people get in and sit down in my Van at a car show.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
www.wivancouncil.com
theroseptv #578096 August 08th 2012 10:57 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
There's an old saying: "Use it or lose it!"

We will attend events as long as we can and pray everyday that they never get to be like any other groups events.
I really like the fact that we're different.
I like the fact that we don't just park beside someone, we move in next to 'em. It's not a parking spot it's our home and the vanners around us are our neighbors. I like that!!

My 2%

BTW the VW Bus group events are very much like ours and for the same reasons.

Last edited by CatFish; August 08th 2012 11:04 am. Reason: ksfs
Lil_Ed #578124 August 08th 2012 12:56 pm

I have actually had people get in and sit down in my Van at a car show.

I was at a car show once and was walking around a bit. Came back towards my van and there was a guy sitting on the floor at the side doors. I went up and asked him what he was doing. He siad tying his shoe. I asked him if he had a car in the show and he said yes. I asked him if he would like it if I went up to his car and sat in it. He said no. I then politely said neither do I. Get out of my van. This is some of the problem with disrespect.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Host of Spring Thaw
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Toopa Sinner Tribe
Nautique