Rating: 5
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
Re: Carlisle Truck Nationals August 3-5 2012
nautic1 #579152 August 15th 2012 3:33 pm
nautic1 Offline OP

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07
OP Offline

This was a great event and a fantastic showing by all the vanners who participated. I really encourage more people to show up next year. If we grow at this one they may have to expand the classifications for the vans. As it was there were only 2. The poor guy who judged them was overwhelmed to say the least. Great guy but you could see it in his face that he was not expecting the amount of vans there. I would also like to encourage any of you out there that might want to do an increase in showing to do the Motorama event in Harrisburg next year. They already know that we need more space than we had last year and from what I understand they want to accommodate us. Mark your calenders for February 16 & 17 2013. Vanarama will be back in town.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Susquehanna Valley Vans, Inc.
Host of Spring Thaw
PennsylVANia Van Council, Inc.
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Nats Board Support Staff.
Toopa Sinner Tribe
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2224899
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
AdSense long
nautic1 #579201 August 15th 2012 8:02 pm
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
We had a great time at the Carlisle Truck event! Thank you to everyone for all the great pics that have been posted! Would like to extend a special thanks to "Captain Kurk" for all his hard work and dedication in putting this all together for us!!

Hope to attend again next year! Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little better!

John & Debbie Piedmonte

NIGHTMOVES - '75 Chevy G20 "Shorty"
nautic1 #579231 August 15th 2012 10:48 pm
C
C
THANK ALL THE VANNERS THAT CAME!!!! Man..YOU guys made the difference!!!i'm SO happy everyone enjoyed it. There are some things to work on for next year and the judgeing is something we might be able to do like we do it at Gratz ( i THINK.....correct me if wrong) judged amoungst ourselves is a thought out there and we could certainly DO THAT. We kinda did that anyway as carlisle gave the 3 plaques to do what i wanted with + i THINK 2 ( of OUR ) vanners got Carlisle trophies. Now i didnt know until the day before that they had THOSE (with Gene's van on it)SPECIAL plaques for us ...pretty cool suprise. The QUESTION IS:
IF we judDge ourselves ( Carlisle WILL make special plaques for us).
Do we have every participant that WANTS judged , MUST judge....if you are showing for judgement you will each get a judging sheet for ALL OTHER vans that wish to be judged. so if theres 10 participants...EACH participant will get 9 judge sheets ( will judge each van except THEIRS).............sounds like a lotta work...but its up to US .....OR do it exactly like Gratz and carlisle will provide the trophies...DONE DEAL
OR...would WE RATHER just let THEM JUDGE as usual.... do we want the CAR SHOW people to LEARN how to judge THIS CLASS vehicle...thing is also that thier judge sheet is the SAME for all other vehicles too..it MAY be at OTHER events , the folks who attend may be MORE FINICKY about trophy issues say a Corvette show...THOSE guys may NEEED to be judged differently than a bunch of young guys there for the party ( probably ). Will it be BETTER for VANNERS for CAR SHOW people to learn about VANS or fou Us just to judge ourselves and just have fun?
JUST putting both VIEWS out there for discussion...
Aslo want to put OUT THERE FOR NEXT YEAR.....We're GUNNA NEED a doner van to "FIX UP" and let big foot or megasaurus tear it up or something...paint one side like the scooby doo van and the other side like the A team.....to say goodbye to the 2 most stereo typed VANS in history.....the NEW VANS!!!maybe ..like retireing a jersey .....THOUGHTS? TOO MUCH? ...FULL O SHIT?

CustomVan.Com..............Tomorrows Earlies.....TODAY

It don't have to be old , to be Old School...............CustomVan.Com
nautic1 #579246 August 15th 2012 11:43 pm
nautic1 Offline OP

OP Offline

One thought might be to have one of the certified Nats judges work with some of the judges there to give them a better idea. The judging sheet they have basically had 4 categories. Interior, exterior, engine and undercarriage. Rate from 1-20.
For Gratz/Summerset, our judging sheet is a Best Early, Best 70's, etc. Not sure that would work in the Carlisle Format but a variation could be come up with.
Was talking about this with Wendy tonight and she thought she remembered the judge doing the vans saying something about the judges were brought in from VA or something like that. Not sure if that is accurate or not.
The judging that you are speaking about is peer judging. They use this at some car shows. You will get a judging set up when you arrive for judging the category above and below yours. Would not work with the vans at Carlisle though. Some thought can be put into this and I am sure that Carlisle Events would appreciate it if we could come up with something for them that improves things for them and make it easier and better for them.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Host of Spring Thaw
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Toopa Sinner Tribe
Nautique

http://forums.coolridesonline.net/member.php?4172-nautic1

"Remember,If you ain't laughin',you ain't livin'"

[Linked Image]
nautic1 #579316 August 16th 2012 3:30 pm
C
C
TRUE THAT Phil...we HAVE TIME to think about it and come up with a solution.I didn't hear about judges coming from virginia, BUT , I did hear that they USUALLY have 500+ vehicles to Judge and THIS year was around 300 ( not SURE about EXACT #'s BUT). they way they judged is even MORE subjective than how WE do it at Truck-ins. With ONLY 4 Catagories and 1-20 points...i'm pretty sure there was probably some mental thought processes on vans that's never happened to judges before on trux..being unfamiliar with vans as a whole...a judge could start off lets say looking at storm cloud andmark the interior as a 20 ( compared to what they usually look at ( TRUX)), then move down the line to Phil's or Lorraines van and go ...WOW...i JUST gave storm cloud a 20 and GOSH ..I REALLY LIKE TRAINS or BOATS...well i guess i'll have to give everybody a 20 on this point is ..compared to the truck offerings ALL VANS are a 20 for the interior... I IMAGINE its hard to judge YOUR FRIENDS more than a complete stranger...heck , I don't know bout judgeing ( not even sure i would LIKE to be a judge)...I TEND to look at overall impact of a van over another...Like LAST YEARS NATS ( ohio) with Fish's van ( you know...the FIRST timer with the ART VAN (surf board thru the side)....to ME...THAT VAN spoke VOLUMES OVER EVERYTHING...for ME ..that was best of show...NOT to deminsih ANYBODY AT ALL....It was TOTALLY FRESH....new ideas...not completed ( sure...but will it EVER be "DONE")...then the guys STORY of HOW he got there.....PLUS ..EVERYBODY WAS TALKING about THAT van....NOW WOULD IT BE "FAIR" for a newcomer to come in off the street and win best of show over someone that's been in this scene for MANY years and spent countless dollars and time creating their MASTERPIECE, points is points...do the math..THATS whats NICE about the way we judge NOW..several catagories with a point system and certified judges...the MATH for FISH could NOT allow that van to win ( at THIS time).... i GUESS what IMPACTS ME ( personally) is something TOTALLY NEW , FRESH, NEVER BEFORE SEEN like it...and NOT necessarily "refined" or "perfect" or "old school"...something that when you look at it ...ya just say "hummmmm...never thougha that" and THAT'S getting HARDER TO DO EVERY YEAR.

nautic1 #579346 August 16th 2012 6:00 pm
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
Personally I would much rather be judged by my peers than somebody who really does not have a clue about what he or she is actually looking at.
All of the vanners that attended this event where great sports.
If Kurk works a deal with the Carlisle promoters and they supply X amount of awards.
A deserving van will get the correct award.

.......Wookee

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
nautic1 #579352 August 16th 2012 6:38 pm
C
C
true dat wookee
just throwin it out there for view points

nautic1 #579393 August 16th 2012 11:00 pm
veteran
veteran
I think that (I am right and everyone else wrong) JK JK. Lets go back to the basics. Just because I knew you for 20 years you should win? No. We need real imput. I had a chance at this and passed it up because I was afraid some one would get upset with me and........ I agree whith Kurk. The van from the 2011 Nats was cool! Not my style BUT there was PERSONAL THOUGHT put into that van! Newbee or not he had alot of what I would be looking for. Different,unique,funny, an eyecatcher and really somthing the owner came up with and not somthing he coppied out of a magazine. To be a judge do you have to be a politician? I did fill out the forn for Carlisle and encourage everyone to fill it out honestly.

[Linked Image]

Member Shenandoah Valley Vans
Van = Party. Party + cool people = Vannin'. Lets go Vannin'!
nautic1 #579449 August 17th 2012 10:16 am
nautic1 Offline OP

OP Offline

Our philosophy on judging, Wendy and I, has always been to look at a van and realize that there is no way the van can get a perfect score. Out of 10 possible points for an item, category, etc., highest would be 9. No van is ever perfect. There will always be room for improvement. When judging a Nats according to the Nats score sheet, the score for a particular category will say up to 20 points. Start in the middle automatically at 10. Then go up or down from there. Easiest way to do it.

Phil
'78 Dodge Van Nautique
Host of Spring Thaw
Host of The Thaw
Host of Summerset
Certified Nats Judge
Toopa Sinner Tribe
Nautique