Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Spare Tire Mounting
TheBrambler #577450 August 03rd 2012 7:46 pm
Vanner
Vanner
Originally Posted by TheBrambler
OK, so I've come to a bit of a conundrum for where to keep my spare. With the way I'm currently doing the interior, there's unfortunately no where inside the van for my spare... I'd love to avoid mounting it on the rear door. Has anyone ever made something / bought something to mount the spare underneath the van? Not sure how to go about this. Worse case scenario, I buy another matching wheel so at least the rear mounted spare looks cool.. haha. Thanks in advance. Bramble On.

Two bolts through the windshield is a non starter...In front of the rad makes a great bug catcher......on the roof the van will leak...donuts are for eating! A done van ways 7k plus and a donut will last an hour, terrible on Sunday night on the way home when all tire shops are closed !!!Back door it is ! But make it look cool !

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
TheBrambler #577451 August 03rd 2012 7:52 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
On the Ford our spare is on the back door......right under the stylist AC unit. grin

On the GMC our spare is under the bed. I'll soon move it to the back door as we need the room. I match the front size as anything bigger will rub. It's not sporty, I guess, but sleeping in the van and being comfortable is our main thing. We're gonna sleep in the van as long as we're able.
We have AAA, just upgraded it to tow us home from most anywhere. It costs more but I don't like to be stranded. Also the reason for hauling a full size spare, a real jack, small tool box and a few other "safety" items.

TheBrambler #577506 August 04th 2012 9:37 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
The interior on my 85 will be simple so I will have room to mount it back inside (it was on the right rear door and yep, the door was dented!)

Dodge did mount the spare under the van beginning in 98 when the gas tank was moved to the drivers' side. Feel like moving your gas tank? lol grin

Nate Breece
TheBrambler #577517 August 04th 2012 11:23 am
I agree with Doc, a donut is only suitable for a nearly empty half ton van , and a gamble at that. A smaller regular tire would be better, but only if you don't make it more than 2 inches smaller in diameter to not cook your diff. A 2 " smaller wheel probably still won't fit in the van. Also make sure the weight rating of the tire is up to the task. Many smaller tires are not.

I mounted mine underneath, but I made extra damn double super sure there is no way it will fall off and get all up under the van, that would be epically bad.

The back door is a tried and true method, as has the least risky compromises. It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up to do that anyway.

"The Ice Box"(SID)
94 Custom Chevy Conversion Van
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3003153
"Sandstorm"(Logan)
'00 GMC SafariAWD
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2934173
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
TheBrambler #577518 August 04th 2012 11:28 am
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
i didnt mean actually using a donut tire, i meant using a smaller sized passenger tire that is more compact than a bulky truck tire. such as a 195/50 or a 205/60 car tire. if course its just meant to get you off the highway, not to make it the last 200 miles to where ever...

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

draggnastro #577549 August 04th 2012 6:22 pm
Vanner
Vanner
Originally Posted by draggnastro
i didnt mean actually using a donut tire, i meant using a smaller sized passenger tire that is more compact than a bulky truck tire. such as a 195/50 or a 205/60 car tire. if course its just meant to get you off the highway, not to make it the last 200 miles to where ever...

Smaller regular car tires have the wrong weight rating for any van.....Run flats may be an expensive choice if you want to dispense with a spare, but experience has taught me your spare should be equal to what you run....

Loco Motion ran into a tire problem in oHIGHo after the natz, and ended up costing 2 days in a motel waiting for the proper size to arrive.... When I re did the rubber on the 78 I bought 5 new ones at once....no issues especially in the middle of no where ( or oHIGHo rofl on a Sunday afternoon )...

If you are a cruise nighter, no spare is an option, if you are a vanner be prepared !!!

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
TheBrambler #577576 August 04th 2012 9:25 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
My Ford is under the bed,My Dodge is under the Van

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
TheBrambler #577631 August 05th 2012 11:53 am
addict
OP Offline
addict
Thanks for all the advice fellas. Still undecided on what exactly to do... but it's looking more and more like it's going to be mounted on the rear... the spare's gotta be full size... crud. Looks like I need to invest an extra $100 into a new wheel... and god forbid I decide to get the Cragars I'm wanting... hahaha! Never know though, once I build out my last bench, I'll take my buddies full soze spare as a test and see if we can make it fit somehow. I recently saw someone who worked it out by mounting it in the rear right... might be able to make a custom cover type thing for it so it looks clean. Bramble On!

Bramble On!
[Linked Image]
TheBrambler #577680 August 05th 2012 8:05 pm
old hand
old hand
I like this idea:
[Linked Image]

Dodges 3 did a similar thing:
[Linked Image]

Mathieu
[Linked Image]