[Linked Image]
AdSense long
Re: What Did You do To your Van Today?
wrcsixeight #571938 July 01st 2012 9:20 pm
R
addict
addict
R
Finally got my van back, stayed at my grandmothers so my mother had to take the van for a couple days. Well, last time I had the van it didn't make any noise and well today the torque converter is making it's wonderful whine noise. Back in December when I rebuilt the transmission I replaced the converter and I was skeptical of the converter because it was painted and just didn't seem like a quality part but when you have limited money you have to get what you can. Well for the last oh I don't know maybe month I have noticed issues with shifts and with engine braking, didn't always want to engine brake and sometimes the van will roll backwards on a incline, even slight inclines. On top of all that when I would be driving in 4th gear and then gun it I would notice a shudder before the downshift which would be the TCC disengage, common for that shudder but for a long time never had shudder then all of a sudden on the highway I had to get going and bam-o shudder. All leading to the torque converter...
I checked to determine if it's really the torque converter and not something like the axle by putting the parking brake on and just touching the gas pedal and it only whines in forward gears and reverse, not in neutral or park.

Also about the converter, it was painted by the manufacture and there was some paint run off that collected on the converter so that probably threw the balance off, the second I saw the bad paint job I was like "ehh it's gonna shake."

Well the good news to all of this, IT'S UNDER WARRANTY! yippppeeeeee

But all that out of the way, today I drove my van to the local pepboys (only auto store close enough). I hadn't any intentions of really buying anything, but I bought some nice snap-on gloves because I am going to be replacing leaf springs next month and now going to be replacing the torque converter so I said ah why not some gloves. While waiting in line to pay there was a elderly gentleman who was looking at R134a for his Ford, I told him if he wanted to save money he could purchase the small 12oz cans. He said he needed the can tap and the manifold and of course being the mechanic I am, I travel with all my tools. So I said I had my manifold and can tap and would be more than happy to fill his system. He wasn't interested, but right after I paid for the gloves he asked me if I had my manifold and about how much refrigerant would he need, I told him that I would have to hookup my gauge and check the system pressure. So he said ok! I went ahead filled up his A/C system and he gave me 20 bucks and a bottle of some fuel additive.

Then I went back to the apartment and sprayed some WD-40 on the shackle bolts and removed the shackle bolts cleaned them with WD and then torqued them back on 45 ft-lbs. I did this just to clean the treads so when I go back to replace the springs they will come off cleanly. I actually wanted to find out if they were even going to come off without breaking and sure enough, they came off fine!

Have 500 miles left on my oil, goes fast!

But this is my list of repairs I have to do when I get back home... *disgruntled*

Replace leaky filler tube
Replace broken side door latch (lock mech)
Replace leaf springs, plates, u-bolts, bushings, etc...
Replace Torque Converter
Motor Oil/Filter Change
Need to fill side doors with R11 or equiv insulation (missing insulation)
Clean inside and outside of van (dog hair, blood, odor, damn...)
Dog ripped a plated shade so going to have to find one

One trip and damage is already adding up!

Wish me luck guys, I need it.

wrcsixeight #571963 July 02nd 2012 12:28 am
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
This is why NO ONE borrows my van. Good luck.

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

Lee7673 #571997 July 02nd 2012 8:56 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Originally Posted by Lee7673
I had big plans to work on the van all weekend but we had a fierce storm last night and lost power. They said it might not come back for 3-4 days!!!!!

Lee..we got lucky up here in Brooklyn Park..power stayed on, but man you could tell there was a storm. Debris everywhere, but pretty much cleaned up now.

Nate Breece
wrcsixeight #571998 July 02nd 2012 8:58 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Went down to Brian's to check out an oil leak on the van he's working on. The "leaning tower of power" needs either a new rear main seal or the oil pan gasket is just leaking. oy vey.

Nate Breece
wrcsixeight #572046 July 02nd 2012 1:12 pm
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
Spent yesterday cleaning up the new van, putting the interior back together and getting it ready for the Nats. We leave in 8 days!

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #572056 July 02nd 2012 1:39 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
I wanna go frown

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
draggnastro #572079 July 02nd 2012 3:37 pm
R
addict
addict
R
Well it's my mother, I too wouldn't let anyone borrow my van but argueing with a woman is not worth the headache. And today, a misterious scratch appeared on the side of my van that went far enough to reach the primer, it wasn't there this morning when I left the van with her! And then I get in my van and the seat is soaking wet. I'm telling you, this woman is going to be the death of my van and I.

But my agenda when I return to florida is really to replace the suspension, torque converter, and the rest on that list. I just hope my receipt for the torque converter hasn't faded.

NateB #572082 July 02nd 2012 4:00 pm
Master Metal Sculptor
Online Content
Master Metal Sculptor
Originally Posted by NateNCBV
Originally Posted by Lee7673
I had big plans to work on the van all weekend but we had a fierce storm last night and lost power. They said it might not come back for 3-4 days!!!!!

Lee..we got lucky up here in Brooklyn Park..power stayed on, but man you could tell there was a storm. Debris everywhere, but pretty much cleaned up now.
Three days.....still no power. BGE (the utility company) said it might take up to the weekend to get everyone turned back on. The house is getting warm and I am on a well so I have no water!!!!! But.....the worst part is my generator isn't strong enough to run my compressor and I am in the middle of doing a lot of bodywork so I can't work on the van right now!!!!!

Page 144 of 651 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 650 651

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users