Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Have An Idiot Light Lit
Cherry #569247 June 18th 2012 8:31 am
Vanner
Vanner
the 80-87 Carbed Fords always had issues with faulty sending units. SOME OF the dual tank systems had a 4 pin plug to the primary rear tank, and the other two pins went to the secondary tank...I cannot for the life of me remember when they had this weird set up, but know it was only for a year or two.

As far as the overheating goes, get the rad flushed out, change the STAT as it is a cheap replacement and check the clutch fan to see if it actually engages when hot...The parts inside corrode easy and stop working. The sad part is older low mileage vans have that issue with pieces corroding and failing from non use.. I had one where the vanes in the water pump were badly eroded and hardly moved coolant...again, if the rad is out another easily replaceable item...when I did the 78 I changed all the hoses, the Water Pump when the rad was out....If you change the rad 3 or 4 cores are worth the extra money...If there is a rad shop near by and you pay cash, you can get a real deal....show some leg Cherry !

Another overlooked item is the timing...could cause an issue as well..

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Cherry #569251 June 18th 2012 9:17 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
The lower hose collapsing sounds like it could be the problem. Either way that needs to be changed or have a spring enforcement installed. That's a good neighbor.

The sending units can be wired from a wiring diagram whether they're 4 wire or two, just need to connect the correct wires.

Since it's a carb'd engine I say keep the EGR. The EGR gas mixes with the air/fuel on carb engines and the intake stays reasonably clean. On the EFI engines it mixes with the air only and black carbons/soots up the entire intake system.

While the dash is apart, check the heater fan switch and wiring plug for signs of overheating. Late Ford fan switches get HOT! Could save a repair later.

CatFish #569262 June 18th 2012 9:53 am
Cherry Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by CatFish
The lower hose collapsing sounds like it could be the problem. Either way that needs to be changed or have a spring enforcement installed. That's a good neighbor.

The sending units can be wired from a wiring diagram whether they're 4 wire or two, just need to connect the correct wires.

Since it's a carb'd engine I say keep the EGR. The EGR gas mixes with the air/fuel on carb engines and the intake stays reasonably clean. On the EFI engines it mixes with the air only and black carbons/soots up the entire intake system.

While the dash is apart, check the heater fan switch and wiring plug for signs of overheating. Late Ford fan switches get HOT! Could save a repair later.

New EGR and hose are on order - just waiting for them to show up.

If the sending units I have can be used that would be awesome! Especially since I can't seem to find the two pronged ones anywhere.

[Linked Image]
'87 Ford e250 Starcraft camper van v8 5.8L 351W-HO
Wayward Pussy Inn|Facebook
Astro #569294 June 18th 2012 12:12 pm
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Originally Posted by Astro
Originally Posted by NatetheskateNCBV
Can you get the OEM part numbers off the old units Dave?

only if I drop the tanks and pull them.

You may be able to pull the old sending units to clean them up as they may start working again. You can always get the Ford part number and do a search for NOS sending units. I've been searching the internet and have only come up with sending units that have provisions for electric fuel pumps.

Are you all certain that the van does not have the electric pumps in addition to the mechanical pump on the block?

Nate Breece
Cherry #569298 June 18th 2012 12:17 pm
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
The only way to find the correct sending units will be to pull the tank/tanks.....

Big difference between a fuel injected sending unit and a carbed sending unit...

.......Wookee

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
Cherry #569770 June 20th 2012 7:12 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
The in-tank pumps, if you have them, can't properly feed the engine and were never designed to do so. The in-tank pumps put out very low pressure and were designed to operate the switch over between the front and rear tanks. If you swapped the dash switch between front and rear it swapped in-tank pumps and the low pressure from that pump would push against the diaphragm in the change over valve which allowed that tank to feed though and closed off the other tank who's pump was not being powered. A main pump, either mechanical (carb engine) or electric (EFI) would take over after the change over valve and feed the engine.
Ford went to this system after having leaks, fires and recalls with the old solenoid system. The old system wiring would also get hot and fail which wouldn't allow either tank to work. Most of these problems were from corrosion and winter salt damage. Vans in good condition were usually unaffected.

Look under the van at the fuel lines and change over valve. If there is no manual handle for change over and there is no wired solenoid valve(s) then the tanks have to swap via pumps. Or just trace the wiring from the tank switch.

Last edited by CatFish; June 20th 2012 7:16 am. Reason: ksfs
Cherry #569789 June 20th 2012 9:19 am
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
Ok so Ford did put both an intank pump along with a mechanical pump in there vans.
The sender units Cherry has, have the mounts on them for a fuel pump.
The numbers she used to locate the pumps came directly from a Ford dealer.
More of Fords better ideas........

......Wookee

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
Cherry #569812 June 20th 2012 11:51 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
I just don't know why Ford didn't just use one big 36 gallon tank like GM or Dodge. Seems this dual tank set-up really became a paint in the butt as the van got older.

Nate Breece
NateB #569822 June 20th 2012 12:09 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
Originally Posted by NatetheskateNCBV
I just don't know why Ford didn't just use one big 36 gallon tank like GM or Dodge. Seems this dual tank set-up really became a paint in the butt as the van got older.

With an actual full ladder type frame, grin, the Late Fords could hang the tank on the side.
No can do with a flimsy uni-body!! worms
I think my side tank, which is the main tank, holds about 19 gal and the rear tank, which is the optional tank, holds about 16 gal.

If the sending unit part number shows it fitting both single and dual tanks then it should have a few extra pieces (bits of hose, small clamp, etc.) with it for use with the single tank. The single tank vans, of course, had no in-tank pump.

Wookee's right, droppin' the tanks will tell the tale.

Last edited by CatFish; June 20th 2012 12:14 pm. Reason: worms
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro, Uncle_Fester 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530