Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 120 of 651 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 650 651
Re: What Did You do To your Van Today?
wrcsixeight #566537 June 04th 2012 2:05 pm
veteran
veteran
I pulled the left subwall back out, did a little more trimmimg around the wheel well. It fits much better. I pulled one more power wire for an accessary that I may add later. Then it got re-installed.

Chuck

1988 Dodge B250 "Bloody Mary"

Shenandoah Valley Vans

AdSense long
wrcsixeight #566539 June 04th 2012 2:21 pm
R
addict
addict
R
Today I removed the dog house to just check everything after I had it sitting for a month. Checked air filter, throttle body, intake manifold, distributor cap and rotor, double checked the wireset to make sure that the wires are routed in accordance to the firing order. I checked fuel pressure a steady 43 PSI running, checked oil pressure 40 PSI at idle hot,80 PSI at idle cold. Checked vacuum and it's perfect, checked PCV valve and breather filter both ok, checked the vacuum of the breather and there is steady vacuum which is good. Checked refrigerant and needs refrigerant but not going to add until I rebuild A/C system. Checked coolant overflow and it was overfilled and had some rust colour on the bottom so I emptied, cleaned, and put some coolant mix in the overflow container. The oil pressure sending unit will need to be replaced as it reacts slowly. I also need to replace some vacuum lines as I currently don't have cruise control. Everything else is A OK! And tomorrow my driveshaft comes so excited about that so tomorrow I will be replacing some seals and the pinion yoke for the new shaft. I will be taking pictures (maybe) of the process incase someone on here has to replace a seal or yoke.

Captain_E #566553 June 04th 2012 3:56 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Originally Posted by Captain_E
Glad everybody is OK Rickie. That is a credit to your driving skills. I hope everything works out for you and so sorry it happened.

Thanks Captain,I'm not perfect but I try to drive good.I know the Good Lord helped me too.Anything to save the Van and us

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
wrcsixeight #566570 June 04th 2012 4:35 pm
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
final coat of shiny on the drink tray, hosed the leaves and dirt from under the hood and door jambs. Took it to a local guy here wanted $250 to replace the donut gaskets... no thanks. So, ill get in it and drive it to work tonight.

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #566613 June 04th 2012 8:44 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
yay State Farm said they would fix or replace everything but the tire,I told them good luck finding a wheel

Everyday above ground is a Good Day!!!
Never Stop Vannin'

Member of Break Away Vanners
Host of Spring Break
At Shenandoah Acres Family Campground

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans
Wizard78 #566616 June 04th 2012 8:45 pm
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wizard78
I know the Good Lord helped me too.Anything to save the Van and us

amen

Chuck

1988 Dodge B250 "Bloody Mary"

Shenandoah Valley Vans

Wizard78 #566677 June 05th 2012 1:57 am
D
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
D
Originally Posted by Wizard78
yay State Farm said they would fix or replace everything but the tire,I told them good luck finding a wheel

Hell, the tires the cheap part!

2003 Grand Caravan

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #566681 June 05th 2012 2:26 am
Opened the end of a Sealy Posture pedic mattress lopped off 3" rewired it & resewed it shut...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
wrcsixeight #566682 June 05th 2012 2:35 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I finally began reassembling my engine today.

Since I want to install my new Mopar Performance water pump, I had felt spurred to be adventurous a day back and popped out the front two freeze plugs and found some amazingly nasty looking debris inside:

[Linked Image]

Not sure what it was, but it was hard like sand, and nearly white in color.

I took my pressure washer and rammed it inside the openings for the water pump and freeze plugs and blasted away. The results were pretty epic! All sorts of debris came out initially, and I was still getting colored water out after nearly 4 minutes! By 5 minutes it cleared up. And keep in mind my engine had been running nice and cool!

BTW, this might be of interest to all you Mopar owners - I finally talked to a Machinist with a great reputation for building up race engines, and discussed the bolts which penetrate the water jacket on the 318 engine with him. He told me he uses Aviation Permatex on them as thread sealer.

Well, just by coincidence, I happen to have a bottle of it on hand, courtesy of my Dad! He was an aircraft Mechanic during World War 2, working on P-38 fighters and B-17 bombers, then after the war on B-47 bombers. In other words, my bottle has a pedigree...

;0)

[Linked Image]

I remember seeing this bottle in his tool chest from way back when I was a little tyke in the 60's. It's still in perfect shape, and didn't really require any stirring, though I tried anyway just to be certain.

I decided to perform yet another live experiment, so I sandblasted and powder coated most of the large bolts.

[Linked Image]

I don't for sure how it will hold up, but it almost has to do better than the engine paint I used previously, which became pretty unsightly within a year or so.

After inspecting all the bolts, I decided to buy several new long bolts, so for now I pinned the timing chain cover in place to set the gaskets:

[Linked Image]

Some of those long bolts are really odd sizes, like 5.25" and 3.75" long. I may just have to cut longer bolts down a bit. I know the originals no longer available from Mopar; I'd checked several years ago and only found 2 of the sizes still in stock, and they weren't the longest ones. At least I have lots of hardware stores nearby! McMaster Carr may provide a few options as well.

Another option with genuine potential is that I found a shop which sells high-strength stainless steel bolts (and even complete V-8 engine kits), including the original style cap bolts with the indented hex heads, and polished 6-point and 12-point bolts with the wide flange in both coarse and fine threads. They even have stainless hose barbs, Zerk fittings, and carburetor linkage hairpin clips!

http://www.totallystainless.com/

If the powder coating on my bolts doesn't work out to my liking, I may well try going that route.

Here's another Mopar tidbit; a standard 318 water pump and a Mopar Performance 318 water pump side by side for your viewing pleasure:

[Linked Image]

The Mopar performance water pump has more fins, and they're longer too.

The supervisor thinks it should work just fine!

[Linked Image]

Close supervision is essential to the success of such an extensive restoration!

;0)

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Page 120 of 651 1 2 118 119 120 121 122 650 651

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users