1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A thousand km's down, a few thousand to go....
#564536 May 24th 2012 10:24 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Hi all,

Just curious....I was driving through the mountains of Alabama (ok they are hills) but I noticed two things. One was a general lack of power and less than nominal fuel consumption (I will pull the cap and rotor when I get somewhere I can and also check for leaks...could be vacuum but I don't hear any eradict dole and it feels like its running good) and the other was something interesting that happened with my temp gauge.

Outside of talladega I was running at te same temp I had been since leaving Toledo, on the upper side of gauge about 3/5 or so, sometimes higher. A guy I boosted at the Walmart commented that it felt hot, at that time it was in idle and had been for about 15min. Temp gauge then was over the 3/4 mark.

Then suddenly while chugging along I looked Dow and my gauge was down at 1/8 marker. And it has been floating below 1/2 ever since.

Sorry for the long write up.

Can I assume that my thermostat was sticky and finally gave? Or is there another possible reason for something like that?

Could this also be why my plugs look like they are burning ht as per the diagram in the back of my Haynes?

Cheers...Alabama is beautiful country!

1982 Dodge B250 Okanagan Camper Van
360 - 600cfm edelbrock carb + intake
Sensa-Track front shocks
New coil springs
Sensa-Track, load adjuster rear shocks
Firestone airsprings
3core rad
tranny cooler
helman h4 low beam//Sylvannia nighthawk highbeam
Mint interior (original floral velvet seating)
Queen size upper birth
2 burner stove + oven
3 way fridge
16000btu/h furnace
-carries -
Yamaha Vino 50cc Scooter
9.5ft Mainstream Sound kayak
Sportrack Luggage box
====Shows=====
1st place - furthest from home - Super Somer 12 (2100+miles)
==========
www.my-time-my-way.blogspot.com
Re: A thousand km's down, a few thousand to go....
honkytime #564544 May 24th 2012 11:09 am
Originally Posted by honkytime

Can I assume that my thermostat was sticky and finally gave? Or is there another possible reason for something like that?

Could this also be why my plugs look like they are burning ht as per the diagram in the back of my Haynes?

Thermo sticking is a good possibility, I had nothing but trouble with the auto parts stores cheap thermo's and finally ended up getting a performance one from Summit which actually works.

If the plugs are burning hot it's most likely either to lean a fuel mix or to hot of a plug or both and not the coolant temp. It needs to be corrected right away, if it's bad enough it could destroy the engine.

1987 Dodge B-250 Ram Van
[Linked Image]
MikeH_Vannin #564548 May 24th 2012 11:45 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Ok thanks for that...I am running an edelbrock 1406 carb...can I change the mix without changing jets? I will be changing the plugs out asap

1982 Dodge B250 Okanagan Camper Van
360 - 600cfm edelbrock carb + intake
Sensa-Track front shocks
New coil springs
Sensa-Track, load adjuster rear shocks
Firestone airsprings
3core rad
tranny cooler
helman h4 low beam//Sylvannia nighthawk highbeam
Mint interior (original floral velvet seating)
Queen size upper birth
2 burner stove + oven
3 way fridge
16000btu/h furnace
-carries -
Yamaha Vino 50cc Scooter
9.5ft Mainstream Sound kayak
Sportrack Luggage box
====Shows=====
1st place - furthest from home - Super Somer 12 (2100+miles)
==========
www.my-time-my-way.blogspot.com
honkytime #564553 May 24th 2012 12:16 pm
old hand
old hand
Yuck. Edelbrock carbs are junk. Get a Holley. Either a 4160 or a spreadbore(can't remember the number). I have heard the Summit brand Holley equivalent is good too. Never had good luck with the Edelbrock carb. Intakes are nice though.

When Chris Farley talked about living in a van down by the river, did anybody else think that wasn't such a bad idea?
honkytime #564560 May 24th 2012 12:34 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
The Temp gauge has a one wire temp sender. It costs about 5 bucks at AZ.

When mine went bad, it instantly went from it's normal half gauge reading to less than 1/4, and never went above a 1/3 even climbing a 7 degree grade for miles and miles.

[Linked Image]

But the sender will not cause lack of power or worse fuel consumption.

I'm not throwing any WAG's out at that issue

honkytime #564575 May 24th 2012 1:20 pm
Maniac
Maniac
+1 on checking the sending unit and thermostat, -1 on the "Edelbrocks are junk." I really like Edelbrock Performer carbs. Very easy to tune and very hard to make leak. Which is just about the opposite of Holley carbs. If you really like to tinker and fine tune a carb and have the patience for it, Holleys can be made to function very well. However, for a daily driver that it pretty near set and forget, it is hard to beat and Edelbrock Performer. I have played around with Holleys and with Edelbrocks, and I will pick an Edelbrock over a Holley four barrel every single time.

Changing the jets on the Edelbrock is very easy. You can leave the carb on the van, but the float bowl will likely drain while you swap out the jets.

The Edelbrock 1406 owner's manual with instructions on how to change out jets,springs, and metering rods can be downloaded/viewed HERE

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #564584 May 24th 2012 2:55 pm
I have the Edelbrock too and like Reed said tuning is very easy. The metering rods are child's play. For the main jets be sure you have a proper fitting hollow ground screw driver as they're made of brass and an ordinary V shaped tip screw driver will chew them up. First thing to be sure of is that you do have the proper plugs for your engine though.

1987 Dodge B-250 Ram Van
[Linked Image]
honkytime #564685 May 25th 2012 2:21 am
old hand
old hand
The Eddy is great for ease of use. I like to ability to fine tune the Holley to an extent far beyond what you can do on the Edelbrock. When it comes to dialing in the perfect mix or performance and economy its hard to beat the old 4160. However, after dealing with port fuel injection will probably never go back to carbs. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. Everyone has their personal preferrences. Just voicing my opinion on the matter.

When Chris Farley talked about living in a van down by the river, did anybody else think that wasn't such a bad idea?
honkytime #564739 May 25th 2012 1:34 pm
Maniac
Maniac
I actually agree. The Holleys are fine for people who have the desire and skills to tinker, but the Edelbrock is a better choice for most people who want minimal fuss in setting up their carb. I also am switching to only fuel injected vehicles. Fuel injection is just so much BETTER than a carb.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747