Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
""Show Vans & Show Girls""
by Bikertrash00
8 minutes 22 seconds ago
New to vanning
by Sourdust
9 minutes 14 seconds ago
T SHIRT DESIGNS
by MACE
13 minutes 40 seconds ago
Official 2014 Van Nationals thread. - 42nd National Truckin, Greenwich, NY July 16-20, 2014
by Meanmachine
19 minutes 19 seconds ago
2014 Van Nationals Photo Thread
by OVANNER
26 minutes 12 seconds ago
My Humble Opinion As To Vanning After Being Absent For 25 YEARS:
by Puzzele
28 minutes 56 seconds ago
Mlarky's Dodge....gonna keep her after all.
by Reed
50 minutes 59 seconds ago
Road Map or GPS
by Uncle_Fester
Today at 10:52 AM
Total Vans Thru Gate
by Astro
Today at 10:25 AM
Guess the 2014 Nationals attendance.
by Virtual
Today at 09:57 AM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#562617 - May 15th 2012 5:06 pm Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline
SaabGuy Offline
old hand

Loc: Liberty, IN
Does anyone know if this will fit on an Econoline? I have a 1991. I read somewhere that it won't fit on an E series. Didin't know if that was for the old or new body style. I believe the truck and van intakes are identical. If anyone knows for sure please let me know. Also, are there any differences between the truck and van setup?

#562621 - May 15th 2012 5:31 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
Reed Offline
carpal tunnel

Loc: Fircrest, WA
There are no differences between the truck and van intakes, but clearance is very tight in a 1991 engine bay for the stock EFI intake. If the Edelbrock intake is more than 1/2 an inch taller than the factory intake, I don't think it will fit. I would definitely recommend measuring before buying.

#562739 - May 16th 2012 1:03 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
SaabGuy Offline
old hand

How about a Mustang style intake manifold. It wouldn't have the height issues but I would have to use the Mustang throttle body and do a custom air box. Might have width issues though. Any insight?

#562743 - May 16th 2012 1:40 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
vanatic05 Offline

Vanaholic

Loc: Auburn IL
Originally Posted By: SaabGuy
How about a Mustang style intake manifold. It wouldn't have the height issues but I would have to use the Mustang throttle body and do a custom air box. Might have width issues though. Any insight?

Yes either will work but as Reed said check clearance first, my daughters new 302 has a factory Ford racing 4bbl intake off Mustang..fits perfect.
92 GMC 3500 454/4bbl
Partner on Project 2nd Generation

roiboi65@yahoo.com
www.vanatics.com
www.cardomain.com/ride/2385823/1

#562751 - May 16th 2012 1:55 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
SaabGuy Offline
old hand

I was meaning an EFI intake. Not carbed. Sorry for the confusion.

#562764 - May 16th 2012 4:05 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
Reed Offline
carpal tunnel

Since you have a 302, the Mustang upper intake should work, but as has been mentioned you will need to use the Mustang throttle body. This means you likely will have to use the Mustang throttle cable and TV cable, and you will definitely have to come up with a custom air cleaner assembly. Another thing to remember is that trucks used an intake with longer runner for a reason- it creates more low RPM torque and gives better performance and economy where a truck/van needs it- low RPM.

If it were me, I would just use the stock intakes since a motor in a van likely will not spin fast enough to get he benefits of an aftermarket or Mustang intake manifold. The 351 in my Ford van rarely gets over 3000 RPM, and I don;t even have an overdrive transmission in it (yet).

#562857 - May 16th 2012 9:22 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
SaabGuy Offline
old hand

I was thinking about purchasing the Kenne Bell supercharger for a 5.0 mustang which bolts on in place of the upper intake manifold using a GT40 lower intake. Low end torque should not be an issue. I just really want some more power without going to a bigger engine or sacrificing my low end power. Should take care of what I want to do and not sacrifice any towing ability or mileage. If anything it might get a little better mpg due to the increased throttle response and not having to rev the little 5.0.

#562876 - May 16th 2012 10:35 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
Reed Offline
carpal tunnel

Well, that might work and fit, but you are going to have a LOT of fabricating and measuring to do, and you will need to go with an aftermarket engine computer. Adding a supercharger will really change the fuel mixture requirements and spark requirements of your motor, so your stock ECU will no longer work. You might be able to get away with keeping the stock speed density fuel injection system, but you might not. You will need to have some good discussions with a chip burner or a tuner to figure out exactly what it is you are going to need if you add a supercharger. It even be easier in the long run to switch to a MAF based injection system and get an aftermarket tuner like the TWEECER or the Quarterhorse.

#562950 - May 17th 2012 12:31 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
SaabGuy Offline
old hand

The Kenne Bell stup come with a chip for maf or speed density and the required fuel system upgrades. I think the I will probably go ahead and upgrade to msd ignition at the same time and get some headers and free flowing exhaust to maximize the blower efficiency. If I can double the power I might not want to drive my car as much. lol.

#562968 - May 17th 2012 2:51 pm Re: Edelbrock EFI Truck Manifold 5.0 on Econoline [Re: SaabGuy]
Reed Offline
carpal tunnel

OK. I would get the stock system working as well as possible though. My 89 used to be sped density and a 302 and it actually did OK once I repaired the years of neglect it had suffered. However, the 302 died shortly thereafter and I swapped it to a 351 and MAF injection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Uncle_Fester 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mkycnfxt, Big_D, Rene, NoFNWayJose, josh_sasse
7859 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 96
Reed 91
HighwayStar 87
newkirkinc1 82
Captain_E 77
al55 72
jules73 70