More work on the VFH (Van From Hell)...

http://photobucket.com/albums/f214/chevygod/Van%20Upgrade%207%20-%20adding%20brake%20mount%20panel/

I didn’t take as many in process pics here as I should have. Suffice it to say, the “measure twice, cut once” rule is working all over this van (so far). The new steering requires a new column (remember? I don’t!), so a new part must be added to the firewall. My main concern was having the column line up with the brake pedal but I didn’t want to get into reshaping the vans firewall to match the panel. There are many different little forms in a piece of metal thay at first glance is “flat”. Keeping the bulkhead connector location as part of the replacement panel means it moved over about 1/8”, but the wires can flex! The upper corners of the booster mount were left on the vans’ firewall, the cut was below them, and they were then reshaped to match the added panel.

Also in this folder are the views of the top of the welded and ground frame extensions (IMG_0850 thru 0854) The match on the bottom and sides of the rails was very good, but the tops didn’t match as well. The drivers side was ok, but I still added a triangle of metal (0850 & 0854) to try to eliminate stress a riser and distribute any loads. The passengers side missed in height by about ½”, so I slotted the frame steel on the van, formed it to match, and welded it up (0851, 0852 & 0853) I also added a plate in the slotted area and filled a notch in the frame.

The last 2 pics are of the larger engine bay frame which was added and bolted in previously. I’m having so much fun with the saws, grinders, and MIG, this will now be welded back in as well.