Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: chevy van dash years
#56084 March 16th 2006 2:26 am
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
From what I'm doing, posted elsewhere in General Discussion with links to pics, I know that sometime around 83-84, the floorpan around the doghouse changed, as well as the steering box mounting and column type and angle. One or two years prior to this you will find the older steering box/frame rails with a locking column in a similar-to-the-late dash. Prior to that, nonlocking columns in the same dash.

So, based on what I'm doing and have learned gathering parts, it looks to me like this:

197? thru 197?? first design, key in dash, column thru floor, direct hookup to steering box, passenger framerail in front of crossmember angles out toward van front corner.

197?? thru 1981? second design dash resembles later dashes, may fit but is different due to column angle and key in dash. Column more thru floor, direct hookup to steering box, passenger framerail in front of crossmember still angles out. Narrow engine bay and doghouse.

Some (all?) 1981-82? all the same as 197?? thru 1981 above except I have seen these with key in column. Didn't pay too much attention, but I think narrow engine bay and doghouse. Otherwise same as above.

1983 thru 1995 (I know for sure 1984 and later)Chnage in column angle. Column now thru firewall, has dirve shaft w/2 U-joints connecting to steering box, passenger framerail in front of crossmember now mostly parallel to driverside. Both framerail ends go under radiator. Wide engine bay and doghouse, and doghouse cover. Somewhere late 80's added trip odo to still-cable driven speedometer (definitely not available in 1984, my buddy tried to order). Some where around '91 change to large flat-face radio and different look to instrument cluster as well as electric speedo and side glass defog vents.

If the wide engine bay frame, doghouse, and doghouse cover is added to a 1979 van the 1979 dash will fit the doghouse and cover (I have done this). Any (for sure)1984 and later dash looks to be able to fit any of the 84 and later vans interchangeably, even if it is not the correct year. I believe major AC ducting on the last model years with the different radio is specific, but I have not compared parts. Also, I think the dash housing is the same as far as inst cluster, but cluster or trim plate gives the different look.

As a final note, the van I got the headlight filler panels from had a cable operated column shifter. I have never seen anything but linkage types. Pretty trippy. It may have been a big block if this is relevant.

This is the truth as I know it, but look closely at what ever you are working on and build on or update this knowledge.

OK, I'll shut up now...

Best regards,
Tom

#56085 March 27th 2006 4:13 pm
R
R
Awesome, Tom! Is there some place on this board where such knowledge could be stored for future access?

<small>[ March 27, 2006, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Reserector ]</small>

#56086 March 27th 2006 5:41 pm
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Hi Reserector,

Tell me, is there such a place??? My info is from my own personal experience, and may be wrong, but I'll share all I can.

I have heard of such a repository for info regarding Mopar and Ford data. I know little about those makes, but have way too many hours into GM products in general and Chevy's in particular that I would be willing to share. Also, I'm doing a huge cut-n-paste on my van, outlined here in "Discussion", so that project has caused me to get in deep on some things that many look at and miss. Not an expert, but I enjoy fiddling with stuff and upgrading my vehicles with factory gear.

I would not mind, after I finish a few other projects (my van Anubis, adding a Big Block to my El Camino, sealing ALL of the oil-leaks on my '84 Monte, etc, etc), trying to get a database of pics and info together showing basic details, (grilles, dashes, option listings) for everyone to reference. Sort of a living document that grows with the knowledge of all.

Also love the Tap reference... sums up my life!

Best regards,
Tom

#56087 March 27th 2006 10:14 pm

LOST SOUL

LOST SOUL
1971-72 dashes were the same. 1973 dash was basically the same, but the heater controls were horizontal,the cig.lighter was above the heater contols,& the ignition switch was down low where the cig. lighter is on the 71-72 dashes.
1974-77 were the same. Don't know about the 78 & up dashes.
Tilt-steering columns will work from 71-81. 1982 was the 1st year the vans had the ign.switch in the column. They should all bolt right up,but the coupler between the column & steering box can have 2 different spline counts. Earlier steering boxes had a bigger shaft,therefore different spline count. Hope this helps.

<small>[ March 27, 2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Lordmodelbuilder ]</small>

#56088 March 28th 2006 12:36 pm
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Ah, more knowledge is goood!

OK, based on the post above from LMB, '82 must be the transistion year type I saw at the the yard with the key-in-column column but the inside column mounting like the key-in-dash columns used (71-81). I believe the steering box mounting is the same thru 82 (single rag joint coupler) and I know for sure 84 and later are the same (2 u-joints and a shaft connecting).

Now, who owns a 1983 van? Look at your steering column to gearbox connection. Do you have one rag joint or 2 u-joints? Onec this fact is deterimined, we will know the exact years the later dashes match up to, and with LMB's post above, we have the earlies narrowed too.

Best regards,
Tom

#56089 March 30th 2006 1:21 am
journeyman
journeyman
Man, this is all good info. So if I got a 74-81 Dash it should bolt right up to my 77? What about the doghouse? It sounds like I should be fine cause the wider doghouse changed in 83, right?

Thanks guys!!!

#56090 March 30th 2006 2:12 am
old hand
old hand
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mp3Van:
<strong> Man, this is all good info. So if I got a 74-81 Dash it should bolt right up to my 77? What about the doghouse? It sounds like I should be fine cause the wider doghouse changed in 83, right?

Thanks guys!!! </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no, the 74 dash is different than 81, so is the dog house. 78 was the first year they changed to the "newer" style. 73-77 will fit your 77.

#56091 March 30th 2006 10:25 am
Master Baiter
Master Baiter
Funny that this post came up. Just Tuesday I took the dash out of my 76 project chevy. The 1986 dashboard that I have fit right into the space. I will have to do some adjustments, but like the other guys said "were vanners ...it will fit.
I hadnt thought about the steering column splines, so its just another bump in the road to a finished van.

#56092 March 31st 2006 1:58 am
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Hi All,
I believe the ends of the steering columns are the same for all of the earlies (81 and before), it is round shaft that has flats cut on opposite sides. This fits into a steering coupler that is splined onto the gearbox. If there is a spline difference, it should be on the gear box itself. So keep the rag joint assembly, with the spline that matches the box on that box, and all should be cool.

The end of the later column I'm putting into my van appears to match the older one being replaced, as well as matching the end of the one on my 84 Monte Carlo. There are no splines on the columns themselves.

Of course, standard disclaimer, this is all based on my experience!

Best regards,
Tom

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 11 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members