1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: new to vannin 79 dodge camper how to all the basics how to make the fridge stove electrical everything sorry super rookie
heavy389 #559942 May 02nd 2012 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by heavy389
Originally Posted by frscke1
This belongs in the Dodge forum....

duhaa this Is dodge forum..... rofl

was in the Chevy section....duuuhhhhhh

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
Re: new to vannin 79 dodge camper how to all the basics how to make the fridge stove electrical everything sorry super rookie
gram43 #559949 May 03rd 2012 1:24 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Hi Gram43, welcome to vanning.com!

In situations like yours pictures are especially helpful. There may be some Vanners here who recognize the equipment you have who would then be willing to help you understand it better.

Here is a link to a tutorial the owner of the site put together on how to post pictures to vanning.com:

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubb..._post_pics_Video_Tutoria.html#Post430700

The key thing to remember about the process is there are no direct uploads of pictures to vanning.com; you are just embedding links to externally hosted pictures inside your posts here.

I think Cherry's advice is excellent; you certainly don't want to alarm your girlfriend's daughter by having your van become stuck somewhere with a dead battery! Without my knowing more about how your van is configured, I'd at the least advise you to take some jumper cables just in case.

Until you get a handle on how the propane system works, and you're sure that there are no rotted hoses/leaks, you may want to stick to cooking outside with charcoal or portable propane stoves. You could take a small ceramic heater to plug into 120VAC which would probably be adequate to heat a van in most weather conditions.

I'd think that most RV stores would be willing to go over the systems in your van to verify that everything is safe for regular use. They could figure out where the various controls and the propane and power inlets are.

I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your van. I originally had a 79 Dodge B100 which was quite dear to my heart, though it wasn't a camper conversion.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
gram43 #560081 May 03rd 2012 8:20 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Welcome , Had no trouble reading your very first post, don't worry about some people that think they are perfect English teachers, We don't want to scare you off from this web site before you ever get in. I would go to your nearest RV dealer and ask questions. If they are a good dealer and want your business they will assist you with any questions you might have. Welcome to the site . most of the people in here are good people, Just say what you want and you might come up with brands of appliances. but not a matter. Some of us have campers too with the same appliances. I would though, get
more personal help with a local RV shop to help you get started. Like I said most of us are friendly. And will try to give you good advise and help any time you ask.

Last edited by Phoenix; May 03rd 2012 8:22 pm.

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #560094 May 03rd 2012 10:14 pm
addict
addict
yeah welcome Thanks for saying that.

[Linked Image]
gram43 #560205 May 04th 2012 6:14 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Thanks, My pleasure or should I say thanksmypleasure...angel........smile...!

Last edited by Phoenix; May 04th 2012 6:18 pm.

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
gram43 #586065 September 30th 2012 9:35 am
N
old hand
old hand
N
Hey. Welcome! You may have already solved this but...

We've got a Dodge Campervan conversion and been learning/ re-working the system for a while now. Also, been traveling/ living in it for a year and seen a lot of other campervan/ RV systems in that time too. Long story short... definitely evaluate the propane system and hoses before you kick it on or try to use it. You may even find that you'll need to do some full reworking as many propane filling stations won't attach to older systems.

As for 110, you should have a plug on the outside that leads to a switch of some kind that allows you to tell the van when you are running on 30 /50 amp or generator (not all rigs have this but most old ones have a manual one - some are hidden pretty well - some require that you 'plug into yourself' to run off of generator so follow your lines carefully and mark where each one starts and ends, draw a diagram on paper and sit back and look). It's not rocket science once you draw your whole system on paper it's alot easier to decipher. Anyway, your fridge could have a manual (most likely in older units) propane / 110 switch. Newer rigs seem to detect this on their own.

If plugged into shore power your 110 will work as regular. If you have an inverter you can run some light 110 items depending on your battery bank. Most older rigs do not have a good bank. Be sure to evaulate this. You won't run your fridge or AC off your battery bank without plugging in unless you get yourself an alternate power source such as solar.

Good luck and have fun!

Nicole
1988 Dodge B250 5.9l 360 Ram CamperVan / 727 Tranny / Rochester Quadrajet Carb
www.nikothenomad.blogspot.com
gram43 #715264 October 09th 2016 10:57 pm
J
journeyman
journeyman
J
I was catching up on OLd posts and came across this.

I'm wondering if you figured out your systems. Or did you give up on it. I found lot's of help on several sites, like the Class B fourm and RV.net Ya you do get several just throw money at it but most try to help.

I took a lot of stuff apart on mine just to clean it up and put it back together mostly it worked , such as the furnace had a huge wasp nest and spiders in the flow tube. Works perfect now, but it was a mess.
My Fantastic over head fan was busted. The fan was literally hanging by the wires. JB welded a wood roof brace cross it and It's been 6 years works great still.
I even wired a reversing switch into it.

I just went back an looked this was apparently the ONLY post you ever made so I'm talkin to myself.
And yet I'm still typing,,, Talking to myself never much slowed me down.
I just hate it when I loose an argument to myself, Dam he's good. LOL See ya
Ya I'm a nut.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747