Rate Thread
Page 53 of 69 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 68 69
Re: Did some "glassin" Today
heavy389 #531683 January 21st 2012 8:30 pm
R
stranger
stranger
R
Yes I would do a clam shell. Most of the doors I saw back then were made by cutting the original barn door in half and using "oven hinges" from walk in ovens or piano type marine hinges. I saw one that was made of F'glass with steps in the lower half to enter the truck. If I remember he used chains to hold the lower half in position when it was open. The gas struts were just starting to brcome common on cars and he used them to hold the top open.
I have made some parts for friends using the epoxy and foam. The nice part of the epoxy is that it does not attack the foam. It actually bonds to the foam and makes a really strong part. The other nice thing is the lack of smell.
The blue foam works great and is cheep, the brown structural foam is really strong but can get costly.

West Systems has a great site for epoxy products and their free magazine has great tips for making stuff. free is always good.

Last edited by REDTRUCK1980; January 21st 2012 8:37 pm. Reason: spelling
AdSense long
REDTRUCK1980 #532517 January 24th 2012 10:11 am
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by REDTRUCK1980
Yes I would do a clam shell. Most of the doors I saw back then were made by cutting the original barn door in half and using "oven hinges" from walk in ovens or piano type marine hinges. I saw one that was made of F'glass with steps in the lower half to enter the truck. If I remember he used chains to hold the lower half in position when it was open. The gas struts were just starting to brcome common on cars and he used them to hold the top open.
I have made some parts for friends using the epoxy and foam. The nice part of the epoxy is that it does not attack the foam. It actually bonds to the foam and makes a really strong part. The other nice thing is the lack of smell.
The blue foam works great and is cheep, the brown structural foam is really strong but can get costly.

West Systems has a great site for epoxy products and their free magazine has great tips for making stuff. free is always good.

Never played with the epoxy stuff,didnt know that the blue foam held up to it

I have been gettin the product up dates from West Sys for years,haven't really used it on a large scale as it is so expensive compared to the poly resin.......
Maybe when I hit the lotto I can afford some grin lol

[Linked Image]
79 B-200
heavy389 #533009 January 25th 2012 1:47 pm
Madman!
Madman!
I've used it years ago, but not much body work going on lately, mostly metal work.

I did a quick search and found some guys talking about it on this forum.

They mention another product as well, that may be a little better. If you are considering it, you may want to search some more and get some more current opinions on it and the newer products. I always liked to use it though as it would fill all scratches and small imperfections, then just block sand and away you go.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #533028 January 25th 2012 2:24 pm
old hand
old hand
My friend and I used a long time ago some stuff called "PCE fill and sand polyester primer". Man it did what it said. A Few coats and even the deepest scratches where gone. Used it on a buddies '75 vette. Some one decided they didn't like the 70's graphics and took what appeared to be some heavy sand paper or something that would leave hundreds of scratches down the side one night. Left some nice deep ones in the glass. A couple of coats of this stuff some primer and paint minus partial factory graphics and he was back in business. Never found out who did it.

Richard

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

Superbeast #533081 January 25th 2012 6:24 pm
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Superbeast
I've used it years ago, but not much body work going on lately, mostly metal work.

I did a quick search and found some guys talking about it on this forum.

They mention another product as well, that may be a little better. If you are considering it, you may want to search some more and get some more current opinions on it and the newer products. I always liked to use it though as it would fill all scratches and small imperfections, then just block sand and away you go.

Yea I hear ya Ken,to cold for body work this time of year! Will deff look into it for spring tho....

[Linked Image]
79 B-200
FinallyaVanner #533083 January 25th 2012 6:26 pm
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by FinallyaVanner
My friend and I used a long time ago some stuff called "PCE fill and sand polyester primer". Man it did what it said. A Few coats and even the deepest scratches where gone. Used it on a buddies '75 vette. Some one decided they didn't like the 70's graphics and took what appeared to be some heavy sand paper or something that would leave hundreds of scratches down the side one night. Left some nice deep ones in the glass. A couple of coats of this stuff some primer and paint minus partial factory graphics and he was back in business. Never found out who did it.

Richard

Thanx Rich I'll C wutt I can find on it,damn bet the vette owner was pissed curse sounds like old girlfriend stuff rofl

[Linked Image]
79 B-200
heavy389 #533108 January 25th 2012 8:12 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I have used the evercoat polyester primer . It's a thick two part system that acts like primer and fiber filler all in one .
You wet sand it down like you would before pant . It's not easy work how ever it's twice as hard to work with then regular primer .
You just have to take your time and do one panel at a time . Even if it takes two weeks ..

[Linked Image]
heavy389 #533478 January 26th 2012 9:09 pm
old hand
old hand
Yeah he was pissed. He things it was the guy a couple of blocks away. He slammed him on several light to lights. The guy was mad to have lost since all the money he poured into his Datsun 210. It was his first true race against a built Chevy and he couldn't take loosing and having it rubbed in. The Datsun was fast just not fast enough.
I have a pic somewhere of the Vette.

Richard

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

heavy389 #533504 January 26th 2012 11:08 pm
U
Festerus Vannimus
Festerus Vannimus
U
I POed a guy years ago with my 66 Chevy fleetside pickup, had a 292 straight six with a three on the tree, guy had a blown big block 68 Camaro . . . he could not get the beast to hook up and I beat him like three or four times, when he found out I had a 292 I6, he got sooo pissed ! lol

My van : 1989 Ford E-150 Econoline, currently named “WOLF-DEN II”

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !
Page 53 of 69 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 68 69

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users