Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Road Map or GPS
by MACE
van interior
by matteo323
Short or ground issues? 79 G20, right parking lamp
by rhoobarb23
12:22 PM
Engine light comes on >65 but goes away
by Maciej102
11:51 AM
Best Overall Thermal, Moisture, and Noise Insulators
by tuner4life
11:39 AM
Sears DieHard Platinum AGM Marine batteries on sale now
by wrcsixeight
11:16 AM
New G20 shorty
by Callahan
11:04 AM
Stinky Scott's first van! 91 G10
by Callahan
11:00 AM
Van Definitions
by G_ROLLER
09:46 AM
B200 Issue
by HonestRansy
08:25 AM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 18 of 286 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 285 286 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#524023 - December 27th 2011 2:03 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: lostinthe70eees]
FinallyaVanner Offline
old hand

Loc: Westchester Calif.
OK rub it in. At least lostinthe70eees you can open a door and see your van. All I have are pics of it going through cosmetic surgery. I could drive the 50 min. drive to see her.

Looks like I picked the wrong week for sniffin glue!!

All you hard core 2% vanners; Say hello and be nice to your van/s every waking day. Drive your vans often, because you don't know when they may go!!
Man separation anxiety sucks.
I want my van back. I can even look at pics of it. Just doesn't help. This may sound weird, but she is a part of me.

Hopefully I will have her back by the next outing here in L.A.Hopefully.

Richard

AdSense
#524024 - December 27th 2011 2:09 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: FinallyaVanner]
lostinthe70eees Offline
veteran

Loc: Green Bay, Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: FinallyaVanner
OK rub it in. At least lostinthe70eees you can open a door and see your van. All I have are pics of it going through cosmetic surgery. I could drive the 50 min. drive to see her.

Looks like I picked the wrong week for sniffin glue!!

All you hard core 2% vanners; Say hello and be nice to your van/s every waking day. Drive your vans often, because you don't know when they may go!!
Man separation anxiety sucks.
I want my van back. I can even look at pics of it. Just doesn't help. This may sound weird, but she is a part of me.

Hopefully I will have her back by the next outing here in L.A.Hopefully.

Richard
I feel the same, you get attached and it does become a part of you. One thing you need is a vintage Dodge van plate on the front. PS I have one. smile

#524033 - December 27th 2011 2:44 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: lostinthe70eees]
FinallyaVanner Offline
old hand

lostinthe70eees; I was thinking of that, but Calif. has a two plate law, but that was because of the Red Light Cameras. Now they are supposed to be going, gone kaput. To me they were a waist of money. Intersection collisions were down, but rear end collisions were UP!!!
So maybe the two plate law will change or not be enforced. Yet with all the financial difficulties Calif. is having, I wouldn't bet on it!!!
Thanks for the offer all the same. Who knows I may hit you up later!

Richard

#524052 - December 27th 2011 3:42 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: HighwayStar]
Bullet Offline
old hand

Loc: Bristol, TN
Originally Posted By: HighwayStar
Very interesting guys....so if I have them blasted and chrome powder coated and didn't like them, I can always paint {body color}over the powdercoat on the insides with chrome fins for the retro look... beer

I would for sure inquire whether they will use sand or glass beads. Sand will stick and stay in the aluminum because of the porosity of the aluminum, it is more aggressive and depending on the grit, can take more air pressure to blast with it. I am sure they want to rough up the wheels to get a good surface for the powder to adhere to. The body color would look good, probably better than just argent. Since they will be blasting them back clean anyway, you can take two of them, tape off the fins, spray one argent and the other gold, use a scotchbrite to shine up the fins a little and slip them up on the van and see what you think. They would also look good with a cast iron gray between the spokes. It's extra work but sometimes the best way to decide is just try it.
"I thought you weren't allowed to talk to guys with vans??"

#524055 - December 27th 2011 4:14 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: HighwayStar]
vanatic05 Offline

Vanaholic

Loc: Auburn IL
Originally Posted By: Bullet
I have been fitting the rims I got with the van and went to Summit Racing and found new lug nuts and washers to mount them...I might try something I haven't seen done to these rims before, I'm going to take them to a powdercoat shop and maybe have them sprayed bright silver metallic or powdercoat chrome... I also have some brand new Western hub covers coming I got off of ebay for 28 bucks shipped. They're black and chrome with ribs down the side and a chrome 'WESTERN' on top of the cap outlined in black. I'm thinking this might look real cool when done, will see..

Just got a price from the shop to do the powdercoat to the wheels...60 bucks each including the sandblasting . I'm going down next week to look at the color chips...he says he has a real nice bright argent silver sparkle I might like or chrome , will see .....

I've seen a couple bumpers powdercoated with the chrome, they looked good, from 20 ft you couldn't tell the difference. I'm not sure how it would look with all the texture between the fins tho'.

You think the bright argent silver might look better ? I'm experimenting here..and open to criticism ... coffee

Hard to tell from photos but we sandblasted these wheels on Jerry's 72 then wet sanded the fin tops and outer portions of the wheel then used a small air grinder with buffing wheel attached to polish them to a nice shine. We used the hammered Rustoleum black for the inner portion of the wheels and a cast aluminum on the back side. They are holding up great on their second year. I can get you some close ups if needed.

92 GMC 3500 454/4bbl
Partner on Project 2nd Generation

roiboi65@yahoo.com
www.vanatics.com
www.cardomain.com/ride/2385823/1

#524067 - December 27th 2011 4:33 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: vanatic05]
FinallyaVanner Offline
old hand

To me I'd think that Argent would be more forgiving then chrome for imperfections. And the color powder coat will conceal minor pits and divots.
You might want to ask what their medium is sand, glass, walnut shells, plastic pellets and so on. you'd want the one that does the best job with the least damage. So when they tell you post it or look it up to see if it is what you want.
These rims and this van fell into the right hands. It's going to look great!!!!!
Keep us posted!! And don't forget pics.

Richard

#524076 - December 27th 2011 5:13 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: wrcsixeight]
draggnastro Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Springfield, Illinois
Started pulling the front end apart getting ready to yank the motor

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

#524077 - December 27th 2011 5:16 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: wrcsixeight]
al55 Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Grand Bay NB
Had to clean the snow off it. frown

#524104 - December 27th 2011 7:12 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: wrcsixeight]
JoeCollins Offline
addict

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
put on some much needed mirrors

#524107 - December 27th 2011 7:26 pm Re: What Did You do To your Van Today? [Re: Bullet]
HighwayStar Offline
Maniac

Loc: Burton, Ohio "Cleveland suburb...
Originally Posted By: Bullet
Very interesting guys....so if I have them blasted and chrome powder coated and didn't like them, I can always paint {body color}over the powdercoat on the insides with chrome fins for the retro look... beer

I would for sure inquire whether they will use sand or glass beads. Sand will stick and stay in the aluminum because of the porosity of the aluminum, it is more aggressive and depending on the grit, can
take more air pressure to blast with it. I am sure they want to rough up the wheels to get a good surface for the powder to adhere to. The body color would look good, probably better than just argent. Since they will be blasting them back clean
anyway, you can take two of them, tape off the fins, spray one argent and the other gold, use a scotchbrite to shine up the fins a little and slip them up on the van and see what you think. They would also look good with a cast iron gray between the spokes. It's extra work but sometimes the best way to decide is just try it.

Thanks for all the info Bullet...Im looking for a brighter look and It's hard not to just go with S/S Cragars....but I keep thinkin I can do something with these rims I'll like... smile

Member: Nova Vans
http://novavans.webs.com
Member: Shenandoah Valley Vans

............" REALITY IS JUST AN ELABORATE ILLUSION"..................

Page 18 of 286 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 285 286 >

Moderator:  Lil_Ed, nautic1 
Upcoming Events
Vannin TV
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 0 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rene, NoFNWayJose, josh_sasse, Farmer, smithvan
7857 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 98
HighwayStar 86
newkirkinc1 85
Reed 85
Captain_E 74
al55 72
kursed 65