For a few months now I suspected my wheel bearings were not very happy.
Today I had a look see.
Then I cursed once, twice, thrice and once more for good measure.
These Timkins have about 10 k miles on them. I put them inside New duralast rotors that had new races already installed. Head smack, shoot foot, oh well, live and learn. Dooooooh!
It looks like the tapered timkin bearings did not match the taper of the Duralast races. Driver's side outer race was spinning around in the rotor too.
Ok you picture addicts, how bout some close ups?
Look at the shiny spot round the perimeter of the race from where it was spinning in the bore. Slightly obscured the country of origin.
BTW, before I really cleaned the bearings and took large photos and looked closely, I thought I was going to get away with a re packing. The brake cleaner removed a lot of the grease's EP( extreme pressure) additives like moly and ZDDP which obscured the damage.
I got some High Moly high ZDDP synthetic grease going in on the new bearings and races.
Valvoline Synpower VV986.
I also Lubed all my grease fittings with a new tube of Redline CV-2, and wiped down all those front suspension parts I replaced or painted 2 summers ago. Was finally able to get The XRF lower ball joints to accept some grease
Wish I had Ram4ever's home made power coating set up when I repainted the control arms. My rattle can paint is showing signs of ablation.