Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 46 of 93 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 92 93
Re: I'm in the Garage! YEAH!
HomeBrew #521026 December 15th 2011 1:54 pm
Madman!
Madman!
That's cool. I figured you were just using it to smooth and form. The bumpers will make a world of difference.

If you are talking about the edge of the door where the bod skin wraps around the inner door lip, that's a tough one to deal with. The door skin is actually glued and not welded around the inner framework. Chances are if there is rust in there, it's most likely coming from the inside of the door out. That's the bad news. The good news is, it can be fixed and the easiest way is to open up the edge (carefully) AND CLEAN WHAT METAL YOU CAN SALVAGE AND REPLACE WHAT YOU CAN'T. Then just roll the door skin back over.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
HomeBrew #521029 December 15th 2011 2:09 pm
old hand
old hand
When trying to clean you tools, just run over them with a propane torch and it will come right off easily with a putty knife.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/154142337@N08/15982P
HomeBrew #521277 December 16th 2011 11:00 am
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Yep, thats the spot.

"The door skin is actually glued and not welded around the inner framework. Chances are if there is rust in there, it's most likely coming from the inside of the door out."

AHHHHH! .....ok.... Guess I'll play with that really soon.

It's not rusting Really bad (yet), but what rust is "good"? I suppose now is the time.

.-=[NGV]=-.

HomeBrew #521283 December 16th 2011 12:15 pm
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Is anyone Running a Dust Collection unit? Can anyone comment on Pros cons? The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

.-=[NGV]=-.

HomeBrew #521289 December 16th 2011 1:07 pm
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm thinking something like this:

JET DC-1100VX-CK Vortex Dust Collector with 2-Micron Canister Filter Kit

Could buy one or try building my own...

I have a LOT of air born dust.

It would be nice to have several distributed inlet boxes around the garage to constantly cycle and filter the air. Connected as needed Via a spider leg system of tubes. And a port to hook in a hose with a collector inlet that I codul move around the garage depending on where I'm working at that time.

Wonder if that unit will be large enough or if I'll need more horse power?

.-=[NGV]=-.

HomeBrew #521295 December 16th 2011 1:19 pm
Madman!
Madman!
A dust collection system would be great to have, but a lot of $. I think your ducting would add considerable cost to the system as well.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

HomeBrew #521301 December 16th 2011 1:44 pm
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
.....Maybe get a 5 hp shopvac gizmo and cut it up?

.-=[NGV]=-.

HomeBrew #521322 December 16th 2011 3:57 pm
Madman!
Madman!
Originally Posted by HomeBrew
.....Maybe get a 5 hp shopvac gizmo and cut it up?

I've seen some setups with a drum and a shop vac. I'd bet you could easily make something cheaper with your skills. I'd even do an on line search as there may be some plans or videos of some home made systems.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

HomeBrew #521399 December 16th 2011 7:32 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Originally Posted by HomeBrew

Is anyone Running a Dust Collection unit? Can anyone comment on Pros cons? The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

I have one attached to my large sandblasting cabinet and belt sander. It's one of the type with the vacuum cleaner motor on top and a heavy canvas bag suspended between the top half and the bottom half.

Ever since I've had it I've been gathering the materials to move it outdoors!

It definitely captures everything that it's supposed to, making it much more pleasant to operate the machine tools, and it prevents the large dust particles from straying, but way too much ultra-fine dust gets out and hovers in the air. It looks like thin smoke when you see it.

That sort of ultra-fine dust is especially hazardous to inhale since it penetrates so deeply into your lungs. So, I still have to wear a filter mask! Grrrrrr...

It settles on *everything* too, so I have to cover my lathe, saw sharpener and other precision items, like my jacks and press which have hydraulic rams, with sheets of plastic to protect them.

Once I get my van inside the garage and paint it black, this dust would become a vast reservoir of misery, as it would cause sleeks all over the finish when I'd attempt to wash it off... not an acceptable situation!

To me the ultimate solution is to pour a small concrete pad against the side of my garage, then build a small roofed enclosure on the pad which would have an access door, a switched ground-fault electrical outlet, and a port through the garage wall for the hose. The dust capture unit could live outside permanently then. All the ultra-fine dust will be sucked out of the structure and stay out, as it should be, and I may finally be able to work without a respirator mask! The noise of the vacuum would be outside too, making it more pleasant in the garage.

I purchased the reinforced vacuum hose actually intended for use on dust recovery systems, as well as many of the necessary fittings. The port through the wall is something I have been unsuccessful at locating commercially, so I'll have to build it. I'll do that once I finish running the new wiring, which like so many things I do requires a massive escalation of effort; I have to add a new circuit breaker box, since my existing one in the garage is 100% full! -Seems there's always something...

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Page 46 of 93 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 92 93

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users